The Most Influential Poster Of The Year.

El Diablo

My vote goes to Carleenp.

She straddles the mythical line drawn in the forums and through our community, and gives balance and credence to both sides with her purposeful diplomacy. She is an ally to both sides of the great debates that have been waged in these forums.

Having said that I'll bet more than one of you out there has been wondering when she will lean one way or the other. But in having to wonder, you have to think, and in having to think, decisions are made and opinions are formed. The influence subtle though it is, is very real.

Geez, this one was tougher than I expected. I think the key word is influential, one who makes us think - wasn't that one of the criteria, or at least something that El Diablo wanted us to do?

I vote for Criminal, although I look forward to reading Snoogans and CarleenP the most when I log on.

My vote goes to Carleenp.

She straddles the mythical line drawn in the forums and through our community, and gives balance and credence to both sides with her purposeful diplomacy. She is an ally to both sides of the great debates that have been waged in these forums.

Having said that I'll bet more than one of you out there has been wondering when she will lean one way or the other. But in having to wonder, you have to think, and in having to think, decisions are made and opinions are formed. The influence subtle though it is, is very real.

Very insightfull post RK. I have always enjoyed CarleenPs posts, but I never considered how much her diplomatic fence sitting influenced the course of discussion and flow thought. I have to agree with you. Of course now that YOU have made me think and influenced my opinion......

Geez, this one was tougher than I expected. I think the key word is influential, one who makes us think - wasn't that one of the criteria, or at least something that El Diablo wanted us to do?

I vote for Criminal, although I look forward to reading Snoogans and CarleenP the most when I log on.

Most influential: ;) JEREMY :D (There can be none higher. He is the Mayor of our community. The Great and Powerful Oz of the Emerald City.)

I have enjoyed these past few months. I had never been on an internet forum before. I had no interest in what went on here until I attended my first event, so you can blame 9Key and UsMorrows for my presence here.

There are quite a few people who will draw my interest if they post on a topic that I wouldn't normally read more than once.

I won't get into the popularity contest except to say, "Thanks," to those who have mentioned me. I'm afraid that I might forget someone if I posted a list. If I have interacted with you then you make my list.

Webby is now the official President of the Snoogans Fan Club. He will get an Autographed copy of "Snoogans' UNAUTHORIZED (almost totally plagiarized) Autobiography" just as soon, as I can get someone to write it for me.

Whenever they start the "Best Sock Puppet" thread my vote goes to Soylent Green.

Sn :D:P gans

I am going to define “influential” as meaning, having a positive influence on these forums.

Briansnat - he generally focusses on geocaching and provides a lot of helpful information and insight. I think many people are receptive to what he has to say because he writes in a non-arrogant manner (is that a word?). I am a little concerned that I have been in agreement with him too many times over the past year. Not a good sign.

Criminal - he adds the perfect amount of “spice” to these forums.

Carleenp - intelligent, articulate, and seems like she is a genuinely nice person, who appears to get along with everybody. (can she really be a lawyer??)

There are a number of posters with whom I have disagreed with over the past year, but whom I admire anyways and they do have a positive influence - two who come to mind are Mtn.man and ju66l3r.

My list would be significantly different if I included those having a negative influence on the forums - but hey its Christmas.

Edited by seneca
There are a number of posters with whom I have disagreed with over the past year, but whom I admire anyways and they do have a positive influence - two who come to mind are Mtn.man and ju66l3r.

Thanks Seneca. ;)

I was going to stay out of this one, but when I first saw this topic my thoughts were that you were the most influential to me as well. I don't agree with you all the time either, but your post are always well though out and have great rationale to back them up.

I think it is impossible to narrow it down to just one though, and I would agree with BrianSnat, CarleenP and Criminal (though sometimes I want to throw an admin brick at Criminal! :D )

Thanks, Seneca. When we reach a topic of disagreement, your post is always one of the ones I look to for determining how best to construct my argument.

But I still have to vote for RK for influence.

Most influential...

After some thought, many names had come to mind for their humor and insight. As I continued reading this thread, I began to think "Who has had the most impact on the forums this past year?" Well, when you consider that the topics that have come up the most again and again for months on end have been about the forum moderators, I would have to say that they have had more influence on the forums than any other person or group. As I continued down the thread, I read that the original intent was to vote for who had the most positive influence. When you consider the events that occurred on Thanksgiving day, and the selfless effort of the mods to keep the forums sane when we were all enjoying a holiday, once again they are the obvious choice for me.

After giving the same thought that I asked the rest to give. I've come up with...

briansnat and the entire team of Moderators.

briansnat over the years has been a educational and positive influence. It took me a long time to really understand where he was coming from.

The team of Moderators, Keystone Approver, mtn-man, umc, Co Admin, just to name a few, has had a tremendous amount of positive influence. To be able to name just one of these would be hard.

The only reason Markwell isn't on my list is because this is for this year. He in my opinion will always be a legend here in these forums. There are others out there that could get a good lesson by researching his posts.

In a way we all are an influence on the forums. When we post a message that thousands can read, wether they are thoughtful, or thoughtless posts, we impact someone for better or for worse. The people nominated in this thread have reached a higher plateau than most of us, and we should learn from them.

El Diablo

Edited by El Diablo
There are a number of  posters with whom I have disagreed with over the past year, but whom I admire anyways and they do have a positive influence - two who come to mind are Mtn.man and ju66l3r.

Thanks Seneca. ;)

I was going to stay out of this one, but when I first saw this topic my thoughts were that you were the most influential to me as well. I don't agree with you all the time either, but your post are always well though out and have great rationale to back them up.

I think it is impossible to narrow it down to just one though, and I would agree with BrianSnat, CarleenP and Criminal (though sometimes I want to throw an admin brick at Criminal! :P )

What not me Mtn-man? I must of influenced you a little. You kept the title I gave you! (Approver of all trades). :D

Most influential poster.

All of the choices mentioned have been very good. Agree or disagree with them they were all indeed influential this past year.

As has been mentioned the only person to post with ANY real power is Jeremy, and after him the admins. But does that type of power alone qualify you?

Most of the others mentioned have a very high post count. But since this game isn't supposed to be about the numbers, that should not be a deciding factor.

Weeding TPTB and the prolifics out (a case could be easily made for any of them) left me with very few choices.

I have given this alot of thought and tried to figure out WHAT was influenced by anyone here. Has even one thread here REALLY changed anything?

After due consideration I decided my vote is split. My nominees have not only influenced me in the forums but out in the REAL world.

I am giving 1/2 my vote to the lurkers, whose silence sometimes speaks volumes and who have in their few postings influenced me to remember to not get caught up in any flame wars.

The other 1/2 of my vote goes to all the new cachers, who in their few posts have greatly influenced me by reminding me why I love to do this, that it is after all JUST a game, and we are all here to have FUN!

Slightly Off-Topic, but I am still active in the forums. I read the bulk of the fourms almost daily. But I really haven't had a lot to say on much of the unpleasantness that has been happening lately. I try to post to topics that I feel needs to have something said that hasn't already been said by someone else.

I guess that's why I'm not seen as much around here anymore.

I miss your posts. Hopefully it wasn't my unpleasantness that drove you away. Come back and I'll tone it down ;) Have a great holiday season!

Most influential poster.

All of the choices mentioned have been very good. Agree or disagree with them they were all indeed influential this past year.

As has been mentioned the only person to post with ANY real power is Jeremy, and after him the admins. But does that type of power alone qualify you?

Most of the others mentioned have a very high post count. But since this game isn't supposed to be about the numbers, that should not be a deciding factor.

Weeding TPTB and the prolifics out (a case could be easily made for any of them) left me with very few choices.

I have given this alot of thought and tried to figure out WHAT was influenced by anyone here. Has even one thread here REALLY changed anything?

After due consideration I decided my vote is split. My nominees have not only influenced me in the forums but out in the REAL world.

I am giving 1/2 my vote to the lurkers, whose silence sometimes speaks volumes and who have in their few postings influenced me to remember to not get caught up in any flame wars.

The other 1/2 of my vote goes to all the new cachers, who in their few posts have greatly influenced me by reminding me why I love to do this, that it is after all JUST a game, and we are all here to have FUN!

Excellent insight, COD! This kind of thinking that many of the people in this thread have exhibited is what makes me come back again and again....yeah, I hated the negative threads, and got caught up in one on my first day, and nearly didn't come back, but as I read more and more of the history of various threads and topics, my outlook changed considerably. There is no way I could thin my choice of positive influence down to just one person, but I could name a list of half a dozen or so that I've never seen add anything positive to any thread. All in all, it's a pretty good balance of thoughts and ideas.

There are some interesting concepts in here.

Best led the forums means a lot of things.

Led by the nose? Bouncers are not leaders. They are just following the rules. No mod nominations. Alas if only the power behind the mods posted more.

Led by brown nosing? Well, how can you lead anything that way? Sorry no nominations here.

Led by being controversial? If that’s the entire point of their posts, then there is no point.

Led by posing questions that happen to be controversial? That’s another story. J5, & Criminal lead the pack. It doesn’t matter if the topic degenerates quickly or not. The topic is what counted.

Led by inspirational philosophies expressed in the form of written prose? Yeah right, like anyone changes there mind in here. But if it were to happen who? Seneca always spins a good argument but then drops out for awhile. Jolly B. Good doesn’t put himself on the line often but he could write about sludge, and it would read well. The rare occasion he champions a cause lucky are they who’s side he is on. Good nomonations but a bit more presence is needed.

Led by being helpful? It’s worth acknowledging the king, and that’s Markwell. His recent forum demise is over exaggerated. It’s only a lessening of the number of posts. Even so for most of this year he was active and even if he quits it will be some time before someone can challenge the standard he has set. Markwell is the original forum legend. If leading by example is the way to go, then it’s Markwell.

Led by owning the place? The guy makes waves. Both directions, good and bad. Lots of impact but which side of the impact is the wave bigger on? Hard to say but Jeremy alone impacts both sides of the forum wars and makes them both stronger.

Led by volume. You have to have a message behind what you post to lead anything anywhere. Volume by itself doesn’t make the cut.

Led by lurking. There are some great lurkers out there, and I cache with some of them. Great people or not, they are not going to lead anybody, anywhere, in any way by lurking.

Led by humor. Only if it has a point and at it’s best humor only punctuates the larger message. No nominations.

Led by smart assidness. All bow to MrSnazz and pocket queries.

Led by Devils Advocacy. Prime Suspect is the suspect of choice for this one. Few are the ideas I’ve ever posted that this forum regular has not poked a hole or two in.

Led by whining. Ha! You have to be kidding. He who whines loudest is just shrill.

But if there can be only one. My original nomination stands. Only one forum member can with a single post break barriers, move both sides of a debate closer together, or farther apart. No other member could post a forum suicide note that would cause as much wailing and gnashing of teeth. No other forum member has as many people on their side.

Only one forum member can with a single post break barriers, move both sides of a debate closer together, or farther apart.  No other member could post a forum suicide note that would cause as much wailing and gnashing of teeth. No other forum member has as many people on their side.

Brilliant. Simply so, with that post the purpose of this topic has ended. Thank you.

Edited by Johnnie Stalkers

Led by the nose?

Led by brown nosing? Led by being controversial?

Led by posing questions that happen to be controversial?

Led by inspirational philosophies expressed in the form of written prose? Yeah right,

Led by being helpful?

Led by owning the place?

Led by volume.

Led by lurking.

Led by humor.

Led by Devils Advocacy.

Led by whining. Ha!

I'd rather listen to Led Zeppelin. ;)

Are we supposed to email you the names to make them count like you did with the mods?

I haven't decided yet. There certainly isn't going to be a clear cut winner as we can all see.

El Diablo

67f24755-262c-4c65-919c-0f68fddfff88.jpg

Could it be that the results are not to your liking? :D;)

It's not what I like that counts. If that were the case I would just pick who I thought was the most influential.

The lurkers will be the deciding vote as they are in most cases. As soon as I announce that it is time to vote by email they will come out of the woodwork.

El Diablo

His recent forum demise is over exaggerated.  It’s only a lessening of the number of posts.  Even so for most of this year he was active and even if he quits...

The reports of my death have been greatly exaggerated...

I am not gone, nor am I quitting. I just don't post nearly as much as I read.

I'm humbled by the compliments in here. I just try to do my best in helping out when I can - if that means I post well, so be it. Many times I agonize over my wording for 15 or 20 minutes and then cancel the whole post. It's a nice pat on the back to here that what I do is liked. icon_smile_blush.gif

I've been spending more time in Geodashing and the new Geogolf, and family life is greatly intruding on my fun, but I will ALWAYS have a GPS at my side, and will ALWAYS have the forums bookmarked.

Heck - I just hit 3000. Why should I stop now?

Edited by Markwell
Holy cow! I knew people said Sparky was prolific, but over 700 posts already...dang! Sparky, you are lucky you came aboard when you did (tension with TPTB) because if you were about 4-5 months earlier you woulda been marked with posting that much...lol

Heck, if it weren't for that dern flood control, I'd be topping 1000 already!

BTW, glad to hear you're alive and well, Markwell.! :)

I have to nominate the wife for most influential. She doesn't even have 30 posts yet, but she was able to get this reaction out of the moderators:

I have posted this over in the separate forum for the Groundspeak moderators, and quickly obtained agreement from ten of them, including myself, to each donate 10% of our salaries to you in exchange for your agreement to keep SaxMan away from the computer for six months.  You would regain your husband's attention, if this is something that you find appealing, and in addition you would in essence be paid the same amount as any other moderator, yet you would have to do nothing at all except to live with the SaxMan.

I'd better watch out or the wife will be moderating all of my posts in the future!

I don't think I had 700 in one month though....maybe 699, but never 700...lol

Maybe not, but it sure seemed that way. Sparky does seem to be following your footprints though. I suppose he will be the next one to host his own forums. :)

Well he may be following suit pretty well in the amount of postings, but has he been as controversial? lol

Yeah, he will need his own forums. You noticed that I removed the amount of posts a person makes from being shown directly with the postings, you have to go to their profiles to see it...wonder why I did that? lol