The Most Influential Poster Of The Year.

El Diablo

We are quickly approaching the end of the year. It is a time to look back and reflect upon all we have learned.

With that being said. Who do you think was the most influential poster in the forums for the year 2003, and why?

Think about this carefully.

Who knows...the person that is nominated might even win a prize! Hmm..wonder what it might be? :D

El Diablo

This is hard. There are many. Briansnat hasn't been mentioned, yet he first comes to mind for me. I hadn't thought of Seneca right off, but as soon as he was mentioned, I completely agreed. Criminal has made me both laugh and think. Jomarac5 has sometimes annoyed me, but then immediately made me re-think some opinions. I respect him quite a bit. Woodsters, and now Sparky-Watts, came in here posting like madmen. Renegade Night and Nincehelser had some great arguments and have also each posted interesting things. Hey, and he has been quiet recently, but who can forget Markwell? Also, various approvers/moderators come to mind. Hydee has been helpful. Keystone Approver, UMC, Mnt-man and 9key have all often provided insight and humor. Others that come to mind are Sept1c Tank who has kept up with posting update photos on Groundspeak. El Diablo (who started this) has given out hiking staffs. There are oldtimers like Planet, Mopar, The Leprechauns and Lapaglia. And of course, there is Jeremy. Finally, there are new people almost every day who express enthusiasm for the sport and post questions where the answers help others. They might be new and don't post alot, but they are influential! I think their influence, through their posts and the responses, further the sport more than anything else.

So there it is. I bet as soon as I post this, I will think of more. Sorry, but I can't point out one over the others and I know there are people who I forgot!

Edited by carleenp
This is hard. There are many. Briansnat hasn't been mentioned, yet he first comes to mind for me. I hadn't thought of Seneca right off, but as soon as he was mentioned, I completely agreed. Criminal has made me both laugh and think. Jomarac5 has sometimes annoyed me, but then immediately made me re-think some opinions. I respect him quite a bit. Woodsters came in here posting like a madman. Renegade Night and Nincehelser had some great arguments and have also each posted interesting things. Hey, and he has been quiet recently, but who can forget Markwell? Also, various approvers/moderators come to mind. Hydee has been helpful. Keystone Approver, UMC and 9key have all often provided insight and humor. Others that come to mind are Sept1c Tank who has kept up with posting update photos on Groundspeak. El Diablo (who started this) has given out hiking staffs. There are oldtimers like Planet, Mopar, The Leprechauns and Lapaglia. And of course, there is Jeremy. Finally, there are new people almost every day who express enthusiasm for the sport and post questions where the answers help others. They might be new and don't post alot, but they are influential! I think their influence, through their posts and the responses, further the sport more than anything else.

So there it is. I bet as soon as I post this, I will think of more. Sorry, but I can't point one out over the others!

Don't forget, I gave your dirty golfball a 600-mile headstart! :D

Don't forget, I gave your dirty golfball a 600-mile headstart! 

And there is TeamGPSSaxaphone, who along with Webfoot (who created the TB) gave my dirty golfball a head start. Not to mention Snoogans and ChrisandCindy, who were part of the crazy (and rightfully closed) thread that led to that!

This a no brainer for me Briansnat was a poster when I first started looking at the forums two years ago as a loud month poster with more post than finds and always commented on everything, and really hated the guy. ( told myself I would think of a reason later )

Don’t know what happen either he mellowed or I did but now enjoy reading and thinking about all of his post. ( now they seem to make sense )

Yep its Briansnat for me and never thought I would write this……………………JOE

Most influential poster ? Captain Chaoss, no doubt. Besides being brave, daring, stunningly handsome, he's TERRIBLY modest. Despite some lack of basic intelligence, no subtlety, and some crude remarks, he's managed to keep his warn meter at dead ZERO.

No, must say criminal and Sparky Watts have done a great job entertaining me, Canadazuuk the best job of irritating me, and Fisur of flattering me. ( posted pics of my clay coins to his site )

I'd have to go with RK. Posts with wise criticism are given higher regard by me than those that toe the party line or only exist to echo or amplify the one above them.

He has shaped a good number of somewhat important topics for better than for worse and does so while often providing good logic behind his thoughts.

Criminal was the first to come to mind for his insightful and often hilarious posts, then I realized that the criterion was most influential, which to me means the person who has the most impact on the tone and direction of the discussion here (not including moderators). Criminal is still up there in this respect, but Jomarac5 has to get my vote.

Briansnat was a poster when I first started looking at the forums two years ago as a loud month poster with more post than finds and always commented on everything

So nothing's really changed :D

Edited by briansnat

BrianSnat -- humor, advice, and the occasional fun-to-read tantrum;

Seneca-- well thought, well phrased responses on controversial subjects;

Divine -- interesting, well thought, international perspective on the game.

These three, in any order are the most enjoyable; influential is harder to guage without solid criteria to use.

With the exception of one regular poster who made an arse of himself when I first posted to these forums, everyone has been tremendous to me.

That said, I have to say that RK gets my vote for consistently expressing thoughtful opinions and sustaining patience with newbies as they ask a 'new to them but been there done that 10,000 times before for others' questions. :D

If I attempted to name all the others who provide me with a snicker or two and a furrowed brow on occasion, I would surely leave someone out, so I'll refrain.

Hats off to everyone who visits and posts here regularly. I read often, post occasionally and frequently click close rather than engage in an argument or bashing. I realize that it would be a boring place if no one engaged in rabid discussions on various topics, but really, if I want conflict, I can turn off the computer and tune into my household *smirk* :)

edited because spelling is important.

Edited by jarja_grl

After careful consideration, I would think Jeremy is the obvious choice as he can and has changed the course of the geocaching river several times this year. But I would go with Renegade Knight for having many thoughtful and logical posts and sometimes even humorous.

I vote myself for least influential poster!

I gotta say Criminal on this one.....provocative, well written, and just enough humor to keep things light.

Either him or that sax-totin' smurf-boy! :)

I've still got to go with Crim.....he still makes me laugh, think, and rethink my thoughts. I am sad to say that I wasn't around when Markwell visited the forums regularly, as some of his posts that I've read have been very influential. RK is one of the most patient and knowledgable posters for newbies and old-timers as well. Briansnat also has made me think about things I never would have before. It's a VERY tough decision, but, again, my vote goes to Criminal!

BTW, thanks, Carleenp, for the honorable mention! Didn't see it till this morning! :D

What a great year it's been!

I read the forums often last summer and had some good laughs. (the river dancing grandma comes to mind!) I eventually got tired of all the arguing and petty remarks by certain posters and I stopped comming here. A few weeks ago I started "lurking" and really like what I'm seeing!

My vote goes to Jeremy, or whoever is responsible for tidying up around here.

Renegade Knight gets my non-admin vote.

My choices have all been mentioned before ...

Seneca - honesty, fearless poster, he wields his keyboard like a dagger capable of drawing blood yet in an instant, can turn the dagger into a paint brush and fill the canvas with healing imagery. (El Diablo, you said give this some thought ...)

Renagade Knight - also a very powerful, thought provoking poster. RK is an absolute gift for all who seek geocaching knowledge.

Briansnat - how can you not love this guy? Probably the number 1 most helpful poster in the forum.

Divine - I read every single word the guy posts. I don't know why, I just really like to read what he thinks.

Pika Cacher - her posts seem to radiate enthusiasm not just for geocaching but for life in general. Keep it up, you are also a blessing.

Jeremy - even before I knew he was 'the boss' he made me laugh. He continues to make me lol more than any poster.

And finally, Sparky Watts, one of the newest prolific poster, does have a great sense of humor. People that have the gift of being able to make fun of themselves are destined to make many people laugh, and that is a good thing.

Briansnat, because he puts into words what I would have said, had I only been there a couple hours sooner.

JamieZ - even on his long hiatus this summer - has always made me laugh, or at least smile when he plugs my FAQ.

=========

Slightly Off-Topic, but I am still active in the forums. I read the bulk of the fourms almost daily. But I really haven't had a lot to say on much of the unpleasantness that has been happening lately. I try to post to topics that I feel needs to have something said that hasn't already been said by someone else.

I guess that's why I'm not seen as much around here anymore.

For funnest to read and most (usually) thought provoking I have to go with Criminal. BrianSnat always has good stuff to say as do Renegade Knight and Carleenp. Planet, when she chimes in is always a good read too. But Criminal's name is the one that will draw me into a thread I wouldn't read normally.

-Jennifer