GPS And Rechargables--a Big No-no???

yo-ho-ho

No, they can not "fry" a GPS. I have used them for most of this year. The voltage is actually less than alkalines (and the battery meter will not be accurate on the Meridian.)

If you cache only a few hours per week, you might want to consider sticking with alkalines The hassel of charging and losing charge over the days and cost of bats and charger may not be worth it. You can get alkalines for 25 cents each and a set can last for 1 to 2 months if you only use your GPSr for a couple hours per week.

Then again, if you're like me and go through a set of batteries a day almost, definately look into rechargeables. I have 3 sets for my Vista, and keep a charger in my work van......

Check your setting on your unit. I don't know about magellan, but my Vista has a "battery type" selection. Not sure if it makes much of a difference with the battery meter or what, but mine has choices for alkaline, NiCad, Ni-Mh, and Lithium.

(yes, I know I should just get a power/data combo cable, then I wouldn't have to charge batteries nearly as often, but I'm waiting to see if it finds it's way to my Stocking next week) :D

There shouldn't be any difference, Amps is Amps and Volts is Volts.

We made the jump to re-chargables when we bought the digital camera. I am going to replace my AAA mini mag with a AA type unit so everything uses the same batteries. My thought is I can always re-charge batteries in the car, I might not be able to get to a store. I always keep a spare set of disposables around anyway.

Edited by rusty_tlc

Rechargeables are the only way to fly. With the new NiMh and Li/ion batteries, you don't have to wait forever for them to recharge (like the old NiCd's). And no 'memory' like the old NiCd's either! Charger I got will also plug into the car power outlet, allowing me to charge four completely discharged batts at a time in only an hour. Got mine at Wally World, and the set has already more than paid for itself.

Rechargeables are win-win: save lots of money/save on dumping all those battery chemicals into landfills. I highly recommend them even for those who don't use batteries that frequently.

Because of the cost savings, I also suggest that you not hesitate to get a good quality charger. It will more than pay for itself.

I highly recommend them even for those who don't use batteries that frequently.

That's the killer. Rechargables self discharge at somthing like 5% per day. If you don't use the device often, you'll find it is seems to be "rather quickly" dead.

Regular alkaline bats you can set idle for years and not loose any noticable juice.

So, recharable's would seem to be the winner, IF you have a system that keeps topping them when they aren't actively used. If they batts are going to idle for long periods, but needed on a moments notice, alakalines are a much better solution.

It all depends on your use situation. I once cranked the number and it would take close to a year to recover the money needed to invest in a recharable system over regular alkalines. Your usage pattern may lead you to a different conclusion.

Georeg

Rayovac just came out with 15 minute rechargable batteries. The charger can be used in house or car. They have my vote! They last four times longer than alkaline. I swear by these now.

The 15 minute charge only works with special (expensive) batteries. If you put regular NiMHs in it, it takes several hours (8-10 if I remember right) to charge them.

I'd stick to the 1-hr charger. They work with any NiMH batteries.

That's the killer. Rechargables self discharge at somthing like 5% per day. If you don't use the device often, you'll find it is seems to be "rather quickly" dead.

Regular alkaline bats you can set idle for years and not loose any noticable juice.

So, recharable's would seem to be the winner, IF you have a system that keeps topping them when they aren't actively used. If they batts are going to idle for long periods, but needed on a moments notice, alakalines are a much better solution.

It all depends on your use situation. I once cranked the number and it would take close to a year to recover the money needed to invest in a recharable system over regular alkalines.

NICADS loose 5% charge per day.

NiMH retain 90% of their charge after sitting for a full month.

NiMH have come down in price.

You can get NiMH 2000MAH AA batteries on ebay for $.99 each.

Modern NiMH chargers can fully charge in 1-2 hours.

Alkaline hold a charge for 5 years.

I keep a set handy, but have never used them.

NiMH are the only way to go!

I have aMagellan Meridian. I was recently told that rechargables will fry the unit. True? Urban myth? False? Resources for info? Thanks in advanced. :D

I've been using rechargeable NiMH's since March or April and have had great success with them lasting from 8-10 hours. The shorter length is when they have been sitting for about 2 weeks versus a fresh charge. I typically top off all of my batteries (I have 10) when they sit for more than a month without usage.

I also use NiMH. 1850mAh. They work really well. Had my set of energizer rechargeables in yesterday for almost 12 hours, forgot to turn them off and found them in the garage trying to aquire later that night. I figure I got about 15 hours out of them. That's about as much as you'll get, but man... two sets will get you through 24 hours of caching easy. Three sets and a one hour charger will be all you will EVER need :D I spent $50 on mine about 6 months ago and have used them in my GPS and camera ever since without incident and I'm sure I've saved my $50 back with as much as I use up batteries.

Somebody made a reference to this above, but batteries are one of the worst things you can put in the trash (and not many places offer recycling of them).

Speaking as a scientist (which I am), not as an environmentalist (which I am not), every time you throw away a battery (even a single AAA), think about how you are adding a little bit of lead, cadmium, manganese, mercury, nickel, and lithium to a landfill. And once it's there, it's there forever. Which gives it plenty of time to kill any plants, animals, and people that it may come in contact with through groundwater.

Rayovac Rechargeable NIMH Batteries with the 1 hour recharge time are great. You can charge 4 batteries at once at home or in the car. Sure a pack of 4 batteries costs abut $9.50 at Walmart or $11.50 at Kmart. but considering the fact you can recharge them 1000 times, who's crying about the cost. They also last longer on one charge than any alkalyne battery I've found yet. Also you arent's filling up a landfill with 4000 batteries over the lifetime of the 4 rechargeables. Make sense? I think so.

Just remember to go into setting and change the battery type to NIMH. If you do this while you have ALKALYDE Batteries installed, the unit may cut off immediately. Don't worry, just take the old batteries out and put in the NIMH batteries and restart the unit. They you are off. I also use the Rechargeables in my Digital Camera. Rechargeable batteries are the greatest thing since the GPS.

:D NWGANINJAS ;)

Alkaline batteries run 1.5v while rechargables run 1.2v. In 99.999% of products, this won't make any difference. When looking at rechargables, the mAh rating is what will provide you "run time". the higher the mAh rating, the longer the batteries will last in your device.

Be very careful on eBay finds of cheap rechargables as I have seen some as low as 700mAh. While those might last a few hours, the newer 1800 - 2200mAh cells will last as long or longer than alkaline cells.

Of course, the higher the mAh rating, the more expensive the cells would be. However, the newer technologies also allow many more times the recharge cycles than batteries of even two years ago.

I would recommend staying away from NiCad and sticking with NiMh cells.

Ok, question for you gurus out there. I've been using NiMH batteries (4 different brands) for a little over a year now. They all seem to run my new Sony D.Cam quite well, even longer than the alkalines. Problem is my Vista seems to only get a couple of hours use at best. Yes, I have switched to the NiMH option on the Vista. I have tried repeatedly to fully charge and use each of the brands but come to the same conclusion each time - about 2 hours. The alkalines seem to work just fine lasting at least 12 hours continuous without the battery saver mode. Since most of the replys suggest NiMH are better I assume I am doing something wrong. Any guesses here? The only mah I can read (other batteries are worn from use in camera) is the Rayovac Ultra which is 1600 mAh according to the label. Also, fully charged the voltage is reading 1.38 on a digital meter.

Just Wondering

No, they can not "fry" a GPS. I have used them for most of this year. The voltage is actually less than alkalines (and the battery meter will not be accurate on the Meridian.)

If you cache only a few hours per week, you might want to consider sticking with alkalines The hassel of charging and losing charge over the days and cost of bats and charger may not be worth it. You can get alkalines for 25 cents each and a set can last for 1 to 2 months if you only use your GPSr for a couple hours per week.

not quite ture. at one time when rechargables were 'new', the outer plastic casing was of cheap quality and there were a number of cases where batteries installed side by side would cause the plastic casing to breakdown (chaffing, heat etc.) and the batteries would short circuit. however, this was 15-20 years ago and im sure that the quality of construction has improved dramatically by now and the risk is non-existant.

I have tried repeatedly to fully charge and use each of the brands but come to the same conclusion each time - about 2 hours. The alkalines seem to work just fine lasting at least 12 hours continuous without the battery saver mode.

What is your "end point"? The point where the battery shows empty, the point the GPS complains, or when the GPS dies.

It sounds to me like something is odd with your unit. NiMh does have lower voltages, but the battery setting SHOULD compensate the battery indicator for that. I did look at the firmware update, but I don't see anything that would cover this. Still, it might not hurt to load the newest firmware and see what happens.

Otherwise, I suspect your choices are to either lump it or send it back to Garmin.

...every time you throw away a battery (even a single AAA), think about how you are adding a little bit of lead, cadmium, manganese, mercury, nickel, and lithium to a landfill.  And once it's there, it's there forever.  Which gives it plenty of time to kill any plants, animals, and people that it may come in contact with through groundwater.

All of the substances you mentioned are naturally occuring elements in the environment. Agreed, you don't want to be consuming this stuff, but you make it sound as if we're creating this stuff from scratch and poisoning the planet.

Most landfills are situated to minimize the chance of elements leaking into the groundwater table... not to say it doesn't happen, but we've got far greater threats out there IMO (such as MTBE, which is used in gasolines).

Having said all that, I'm a proponent of rechargeables myself.

Someday, with advances in recycling technologies, landfills are going to be the equivalent of goldmines. Assuming we all live that long. ;)

Edited by Indiana Cojones

I recently won a Rayovac 15 minute recharger that came with two AA batteries. They threw four more AAs, the car adaptor, and 4 AAAs in the box.

I've been using the six AAs in my Motorola Distance DPS GMRS radio. If I left it turned on in the car overnight with the supplied NiCad pack, it was dead by morning. The Rayovacs are lasting through multiple nights without recharging. I need to get to HomeDepot and pick up four more for my V, and break my lithium habit.

I have the same unit as Criminal. These things are great. I've been caching in cold weather, and haven't had any problem with longetivity. I actually think they are performing better than alkalines. Not to mention it's only 15 minutes to recharge, in the car! I've had my Legend on continously for several days before I need to swap them out.

...every time you throw away a battery (even a single AAA), think about how you are adding a little bit of lead, cadmium, manganese, mercury, nickel, and lithium to a landfill.  And once it's there, it's there forever.  Which gives it plenty of time to kill any plants, animals, and people that it may come in contact with through groundwater.

All of the substances you mentioned are naturally occuring elements in the environment. Agreed, you don't want to be consuming this stuff, but you make it sound as if we're creating this stuff from scratch and poisoning the planet.

Most landfills are situated to minimize the chance of elements leaking into the groundwater table... not to say it doesn't happen, but we've got far greater threats out there IMO (such as MTBE, which is used in gasolines).

Someday, with advances in recycling technologies, landfills are going to be the equivalent of goldmines. Assuming we all live that long. ;)

problem is though none of those elements occur naturally in the elemental form in the earths crust. these elements become harmful due to the chemicial reactions that we put them through so that they are useful----bottom line they are pollution due to post mining processing and generally are not naturally occuring.

as for landfills, incinerators etc. there are unlined landfills and the old teepee incinerators in use in both canada and the states that cause enourmous enviromental damage that we are only discovering now.

i agree though that there are greater enviromental concerns that can be addressed to make this continent livable for all of us.

I've been buying NiMH batteries from thomasdistributing.com for years, here are some of their current offerings.

ACCUPOWER "AA" 2300 mAH NiMH Rechargeable Batteries for all Your AA Battery Power Needs!

Your Price $13.97 per 4 Pack

http://thomasdistributing.com/ap-2300-5.htm

or

NEXCELL 2200mAh AA NiMH ( Nickel Metal Hydride ) Rechargeable Batteries From NEXCELL LTD.

Your Price $11.97 per 4 pack

http://thomasdistributing.com/nc-4aa2200.htm

or

Twelve Kodak 1700 mAH AA Size Rechargeable NiMH Batteries , and 1 FREE Battery Tester.

For $19.97

http://thomasdistributing.com/spsales.htm

What is your "end point"?  The point where the battery shows empty, the point the GPS complains, or when the GPS dies.

It sounds to me like something is odd with your unit.  NiMh does have lower voltages, but the battery setting SHOULD compensate the battery indicator for that.  I did look at the firmware update, but I don't see anything that would cover this.  Still, it might not hurt to load the newest firmware and see what happens.

Otherwise, I suspect your choices are to either lump it or send it back to Garmin.

End point for me is when the unit cuts off. Generally it will turn back on but only for a minute or so then off again. I recently updated to latest firmware and alkalines seem to work just fine, it's just not long on NiMH. Not a huge problem for me as I usually keep a couple of spare NIMH's around anyway and use the plug in the truck. Generally speaking they will last long enough for short caching trips but I tend not to use them on hikes, etc. I guess it could be a problem in the unit when I switch it to the NiMH setting but everything else seems to work just fine. Also, when I pull the batteries, recharge, then use them in my camera, the camera is good to go for 50 plus pictures and normal LCD usage. Unit is 2 yo now and not much point in sending it to Garmin when everything else works great. Thanks for the response. If anyone else has experienced this I would appreciate a note.

Here is what Duracell says:

General Purpose & Alkaline Batteries

Alkaline batteries can be safely disposed of with normal household waste. Due to concerns about mercury in the municipal solid waste stream, Duracell has voluntarily eliminated all of the added mercury from its alkaline batteries since 1993 — while maintaining the performance you demand. Our alkaline batteries are composed primarily of common metals — steel, zinc and manganese — and do not pose a health or environmental risk during normal use or disposal.

It is important not to dispose of large amounts of alkaline batteries in a group. Used batteries are often not completely "dead." Grouping used batteries together can bring these "live" batteries into contact with one another, creating safety risks.

Proven cost-effective and environmentally safe recycling processes are not yet universally available for alkaline batteries. Duracell is a leader in the industry efforts to develop sound recycling options. Some communities offer recycling or collection of alkaline batteries — contact your local government for disposal practices in your area.

Lithium, Lithium Ion, Nickel Metal Hydride & Zinc Air Batteries

These batteries may be safely disposed of in normal household waste. Contact your local government for disposal or recycling practices in your area.

Packaging

Duracell packaging may be disposed of in normal household waste or may be recycled where possible. Duracell uses only non-toxic inks in its packaging and the card portion of our package is made from 55% recycled material. The plastic portion is made from 30% recycled plastic.

problem is though none of those elements occur naturally in the elemental form in the earths crust.  these elements become harmful due to the chemicial reactions that we put them through so that they are useful----bottom line they are pollution due to post mining processing and generally are not naturally occuring.

Um, excuse me?

That's just not true. Ni, Pb, and Mn all occur naturally in elemental form, although metallic Pb is pretty rare. Mn is incredibly common, though; ever hear of the manganese nodules on the floor of the ocean? And the Hg in alkalines isn't elemental in any case. Nor, as I recall, is the Li in Li-ion batteries.

The pollution problem has a lot more to do with moving the elements from their original locations to new ones close to (for example) water supplies for cities than it does with some especially harmful chemical form.

Alkaline batteries are, on the whole, pretty environmentally benign. Especially when compared to fluorescent light bulbs, which, though heavily promoted by those who claim to care for the environment, present a serious toxic waste problem.

End point for me is when the unit cuts off. Generally it will turn back on but only for a minute or so then off again. I recently updated to latest firmware and alkalines seem to work just fine, it's just not long on NiMH.

Hmmmm. Sounds like either a bad cut-off voltage adjustment or maybe the power supply isn't working quite like it should. But there's not much you can do - except maybe get rechargeable alkalines. The one trick to those is they like to recharged often rather then waiting until their dead and then recharging. So if you recharged them after every outing it might work out.

Alkaline batteries are, on the whole, pretty environmentally benign. Especially when compared to fluorescent light bulbs, which, though heavily promoted by those who claim to care for the environment, present a serious toxic waste problem.

So, how does everyone get rid of old flourecent bulbs?

Its always been a dilema for me.....and I've alwasy had to break them and put them in the trash..now I find out I've been a polluter!!

Do they take them at recycle centers?

End point for me is when the unit cuts off. Generally it will turn back on but only for a minute or so then off again. I recently updated to latest firmware and alkalines seem to work just fine, it's just not long on NiMH. >snip<

I have a similar problem sometimes when I put NIMH in my Garmin Rino. Turns out the problem is the NIMH batteries are EVER SO SLIGHTLY smaller so may not ensure tight contact with the terminal and spring. Sometimes the problem will manifest itself by the unit shutting off unexpectedly, and other times by the batter meter just dropping to Low...before bouncing back to full.

I put a bit of foam inside the cover to hold the batteries tight and it seems to do the trick. Long term - I think I'll solder some tigher springs in the battery compartment that should do the trick.

Good luck!

Where do you folks buy your batteries?  I've been looking all over for 2000+ mah rechargable NiMH batteries and haven't found them.

I must be looking in the wrong places ... so much for being a geocacher! :D

I've been using Energizer Ni-Mh in my Meridan Color the whole time I've had it. (Almost a year now) Never had a probem yet. I also use rechargeables in my digital camera without any trouble.

BTW... I've seen a pack of 8 AA 2100Mah Energizers w\recharger at sam's club for about $25 I think.

Edited by CWL
problem is though none of those elements occur naturally in the elemental form in the earths crust.  these elements become harmful due to the chemicial reactions that we put them through so that they are useful----bottom line they are pollution due to post mining processing and generally are not naturally occuring.

Um, excuse me?

That's just not true. Ni, Pb, and Mn all occur naturally in elemental form, although metallic Pb is pretty rare. Mn is incredibly common, though; ever hear of the manganese nodules on the floor of the ocean? And the Hg in alkalines isn't elemental in any case. Nor, as I recall, is the Li in Li-ion batteries.

The pollution problem has a lot more to do with moving the elements from their original locations to new ones close to (for example) water supplies for cities than it does with some especially harmful chemical form.

wrong on all accounts. most native elements, and all transition metals, cannot exist in their native state in the earths crust due to their atomic structure, though native nickel is thought to exist in the earths core. the maganese nodes you speak of are at best 35% maganese, the rest as with other metals are varying sulfides, oxides etc.

you misquoted me in saying that i infered that the problem was in moving the ores, its the processing that causes the issue. infact the naturally occuring ores of any heavy metal wouldnt cause any more harm in location a than location b---its the inconvience that it causes to humans that makes it appear to be enviromentally hazardous.

as for alkalines being enviromentally begin, thats mostly true. problem arises when the deads are disposed of in household waste destined for incinerators or the waste cells are ruptured. however the physicial rupturing of a dead cell is relatively safe and the chemicals could be handled by the enviroment over time, but when these heavy metals become airborne we have real trouble.

as for florescent bulbs, they as you say are chemically less friendly than incandescant bulbs but if one considers that florescant bulbs last 50-100 times longer and are 98% efficient when producing light as opposed to about 5% efficiency for incandescant bulbs one has to wonder what is 'enviromentally friendly' actually means.

having reread my initial post, '...naturally in the elemental form...' may have been worded poorly, i should have said '...in their native form...', while both are correct the later is 'more' correct.

wrong on all accounts. most native elements, and all transition metals, cannot exist in their native state in the earths crust due to their atomic structure, though native nickel is thought to exist in the earths core. the maganese nodes you speak of are at best 35% maganese, the rest as with other metals are varying sulfides, oxides etc.

????????

Gold, silver, and iron can't exist in the earth's crust? Those are transition metals.

And what's "maganese"?

George

I have a similar problem sometimes when I put NIMH in my Garmin Rino.  Turns out the problem is the NIMH batteries are EVER SO SLIGHTLY smaller so may not ensure tight contact with the terminal and spring.  Sometimes the problem will manifest itself by the unit shutting off unexpectedly, and other times by the batter meter just dropping to Low...before bouncing back to full.

Same problem for me with the Garmin V and NiMh batteries. Alkaline and lithium (my preference) batteries fit snugly with no problems. (I know about the Garmin part to improve battery fit.)

Rechargeables are Ok for most electronics when I don't mind carrying extra sets, replacing them and recharging them. They do not seem to hold a charge when stored for long periods which is another disadvantage. Good alkalines last a little longer but the difference is not much. Lithiums, though, last for months of intermittent use. It generally boils down to cost versus convenience, notwithstanding the trash concerns which mainly apply to NiCd batteries for our uses.

Edited by bigeddy
wrong on all accounts.  most native elements, and all transition metals, cannot exist in their native state in the earths crust due to their atomic structure, though native nickel is thought to exist in the earths core.  the maganese nodes you speak of are at best 35% maganese, the rest as with other metals are varying sulfides, oxides etc.

????????

Gold, silver, and iron can't exist in the earth's crust? Those are transition metals.

And what's "maganese"?

George

ok, ill give you gold, but isnt native silver so rare that it not mined as a mineral source and native terrestrial iron cosidered so rare that it is often considered a product of meteorite hits?

and that is manganese nodes formed by under water volcanoes, which are infact awesome specimens and due to the depth that they are usually found not harvested on a large scale.

ok, ill give you gold, but isnt native silver so rare that it not mined as a mineral source and native terrestrial iron cosidered so rare that it is often considered a product of meteorite hits?

I've never looked for silver, other than the processed kind in the form of coins. Found a few nice pieces this weekend. Not really that old (1964), but they look nearly mint for being down in the dirt close to 40 years.

Terrestrial iron is by defintion of the earth, as opposed to metorites which are from non-earth sources. I'm not sure which is more common, other than to say many people seem to prefer collect the iron meteorites. Terrestrial iron just doesn't seem to have that romantic "impact".

Are you sure you're not thinking of the alkaline/alkali metals rather than the transitions? Those are metals so reactive they they are rarely found free in nature.

George