Water Tight Containers

Polgara

I am wondering what boxes you were looking at? I currently have some of the PLano utility/stowaway boxes and have discovered that only the #3741 has 1 open campartment, however, it is 14"L x 9.13"W x 3.25"H. I bought the #3543 7.5"L x 5.88"W x 4.88"H and the #3645 9"L x 7"W x 2.25"H each have 3 to 4 fixed compartments. I have removed the dividers using a hot knife and rotary cutting tool (not as clean a job as I had wished).

Let me know if you have found another waterproof box I have not seen.

Happy Caching.

GEO.JOE

Since we are on this, I'm looking for a cylidrical chaped waterproof container. Must be 2 inch diameter or smaller. The length of the container is not important, but should probably be about 8 inches.

I can hear the jokes coming, I just ask that if you are going to respond with a joke, keep it clean, and make sure it's funny. Don't go with the obvious.

F_M

Pvc pipe might work though.

Thought about using PVC, but many places in Maryland require a clear container. If I can't find a suitable clear container, I'll probably go with PVC. I don't have a firm location on this, just an idea of what I want to place. If I go with PVC, I'll just make sure it's not in a state park or any other that would require clear.

F_M

Since we are on this, I'm looking for a cylidrical chaped waterproof container.  Must be 2 inch diameter or smaller.  The length of the container is not important, but should probably be about 8 inches.

I have seen these clear storage tubes before and wondered how watertight they actually are.

I think this is the manufacturer of the tubes. They stock different diameters and spare end caps. The nice thing about these is you can cut them to any length.

Edited by Navdog
Since we are on this, I'm looking for a cylidrical chaped waterproof container. Must be 2 inch diameter or smaller. The length of the container is not important, but should probably be about 8 inches.

I can hear the jokes coming, I just ask that if you are going to respond with a joke, keep it clean, and make sure it's funny. Don't go with the obvious.

F_M

Is this the sort of thing you are looking for? It's called a 'preform'. This is what your water/soda bottles look like before they are expanded.

Definitely waterproof and very sturdy. You could stand on it and not break it.

This is a little 4" inch, I also have a couple 8" ones.

They were sent to me by a geocacher, so in the name of 'paying it forward' I will send you (Fritz) one if you send me your address.

preform.jpg

I have seen these clear storage tubes before and wondered how watertight they actually are.

I think this is the manufacturer of the tubes. They stock different diameters and spare end caps. The nice thing about these is you can cut them to any length.

Captian Obvious signing in.

The tubes should be 100% watertight, its the caps I doubt. I've used similar looking tubes from Home Despot, for holding small parts. The caps are a friction fit and they may or may not leak.

Now you made me want to test one of them.

F_M

These tubes may be perfect for you, but they are only about 6 inches. They also only come in like packs of 200. However, if you know anyone that works in a science lab just about anywhere, chances are they have a great big box of em, of all shapes and sizes, someone could probably just get you one.

I am wondering what boxes you were looking at? I currently have some of the PLano utility/stowaway boxes and have discovered that only the #3741 has 1 open campartment, however, it is 14"L x 9.13"W x 3.25"H. I bought the #3543 7.5"L x 5.88"W x 4.88"H and the #3645 9"L x 7"W x 2.25"H each have 3 to 4 fixed compartments. I have removed the dividers using a hot knife and rotary cutting tool (not as clean a job as I had wished).

Let me know if you have found another waterproof box I have not seen.

Happy Caching.

GEO.JOE

Yes, they are the 'Plano' brand boxes, and they do have dividers in them. There are 3 sections, each section is about the size of a large recipe box. If I chose to use one, I don't think I'd even bother to remove the dividers, the sections are big enough for trades, but the hot knife and saw are a good idea if someone wanted to remove them.

Cache on. :D

Edited by Ce'Nedra
I have been looking for a good camo alternative for a while and found these dry boxes here by MTM Case Gard. The SDB-1ATV-09 is actually a good size for a large size cache. Its about the size of a small toolbox.

Those look pretty good, but I suspect they may be a bit expensive to use as a cache container. Do you know how much they are?

Since we are on this, I'm looking for a cylidrical chaped waterproof container.  Must be 2 inch diameter or smaller.  The length of the container is not important, but should probably be about 8 inches.

I can hear the jokes coming, I just ask that if you are going to respond with a joke, keep it clean, and make sure it's funny.  Don't go with the obvious.

F_M

A bit pricey but McMaster-Carr has clear acrylic tubes p/n 8532K22, about $14 for 6'. Acrylic bonds well so sealing one end would be easy. They also have polycarbonate p/n 8585K18, about $6 / ft much more impact resistant but harder to bond.