Micro Cache Stones

IntotheWoods

It's been several months since the micro cache stones were unveiled by Groundspeak and I'd like to hear from some of you who have hidden and found them (I've done neither). How realistic do they look in nature? How do they hold up to the elements? Do you include a description of the stone in your cache description? Etc.

Cheers,

IntotheWoods :mad:

About a year ago, I picked up half a dozen of these, only they were called "Keystones". They have a small compartment on the underside big enough to put a few different keys in, and the aim is to leave one in your flower garden or next to your front door, in case you lock yourself out of the house. They look VERY realistic, and I have trouble finding the one I placed in my wife's rock garden. I got mine for $5 for the lot....how much does GS sell them for?

I've found a couple of them and think they are pretty cool. The ones I found weren't too hard to find because 1) there were few other rocks around and 2) the cache page mentioned a ''unique'' container. I had recently seen them talked about in the forums and these caches were placed around the same time as I was starting to hear about them, so I was pretty sure that's what I was looking for.

On the other hand, I looked for a cache the other night that says it is a fist sized cache. It is hidden among those rock retaining walls where the rocks are surrounded by fencing. I don't know for sure that the cache is a Groundspeak rock, but that's what I was looking for. Needless to say, whatever it is, it blends in very well because I and many others have failed to find it.

I really liked the ones I found and I was surprised by their quality.

We have a few of them. Just can't bear to part with them so I haven't used them for a cache yet. We did find a cache that used one. We had 4-5 of us pouring over the area and a few times stepping right over it.

The geostones that you can get on GC.com are different from the hide a key ones as the compartment is a bit bigger and there is just the very subtlest hint of the geologo in the rock if you look at it right.

Has anybody tried to manufacture bigger hollow rocks from cement? I've throught of trying to make a rock that was hollow to hold an ammo can. I'm not sure the best way to go about it, and I'm sure it would probably look like a hunk of cement instead of a rock when I was done.

I've thought about buying those landscape plastic type rocks. They appear to be big enough to cover an ammo can, but they are $40 and up.

I made one using a inverted peanut butter jar covered by a hefty mound of that spray foam you find in hardware stores to seal cracks. I used some gery primer and fleckstone paint. Haven't placed it yet, but it came out looking pretty good.

Here is the foam I used:

http://www.dow.com/greatstuff/

I`ve used that on a couple of my caches. Just sprayed it on 4 sides of an ammo can, spray painted with the fleck paint. After a winter up in northern MN the stuff cracked and I had to repaint them.

I found one of the stones about a month ago. The description of the cache said that it was a 'unique' container (or something along those lines), and when I got to the area, the large pile of rocks & boulders the GPS was leading me to made me suspicious. The color of the stone was just a shade or two lighter than those surrounding it, and the gc.com logo gave it away when I looked really close. Overall though, I wouldn't expect a muggle to pay any attention to it.

I love finding caches in containers like that, or a variation on a real stone that's been modified. In the right environment, you could literally step on it and not notice that you found the cache. One not too far from my house I spent a solid 45 minutes looking, even going so far as to walking a 16' grid and looking at every single object on the ground before I finally found the friggin' thing.

We found OneOfEm's clever "The Meteorite" cache. My husband was so tickled by it's cache stone that he is gung ho to buy for our own caches. They were out of stock, so we are waiting for the back order to come in. I'll show him the info from the Fake Rock place, too - but we really liked OOE's cache stone.

I have one that I have used and it has received some positive comments! I have even gotten emails after they logged their find to tell me how neat it was. This is the only one in our area as far as I know of, so it was rather unique. Mine is not near any other rocks and is just set off a paved trail by about 3 or 4 feet. So far it has not been discovered by muggles!

CraZy Cache

I bought one but I can't bring myself to leave a $15 plastic rock out in the open. Maybe in the spring. I have the perfect location all scoped out, but it's an urban environment and I don't think the cache would last long. I've found a couple in CT - if the colors are correctly matched to the surroundings they are hard to spot, but the rock colors available don't quite match up with the local geology so they aren't too hard to pick out.

I bought one but I can't bring myself to leave a $15 plastic rock out in the open. Maybe in the spring. I have the perfect location all scoped out, but it's an urban environment and I don't think the cache would last long. I've found a couple in CT - if the colors are correctly matched to the surroundings they are hard to spot, but the rock colors available don't quite match up with the local geology so they aren't too hard to pick out.

I bought a fake rock from a security store that I thought was very expensive ($13). I was hesitant about placing it where it might get stolen, but I took the chance anyway. It's been in place since April 1st, 2003 without a single problem (well, one person didn't realize the lid was a lid and didn't look inside for the log, but that's not my fault)

I went to hunt a micro in a park last week. I walked around and around and couldn't find the darn thing. I went to get another cache and then came back to hunt to micro again.

There was an area with large and small rocks everywhere. I sat down on a large rock because a lady was coming my way and I didn't want to look 'suspicious' and for the FIRST TIME EVER, my GPS read 0. I started looking around this rock, and saw a smaller rock tucked right against it. I picked it up and turned it over. Lo and behold! There's the micro cache!

I thought this micro was very very clever. I really enjoyed it.

My thought was to use plaster of paris to build a fake rock on top of an upside down tupperware container. Haven't tried it yet, problem of course would be how you would treat the rock to keep the p.o.p. from returning to liquid in the rain.

Next time, look for a product called "Fixall". It is waterproof when cured and takes paint very well.

Most hardware stores will have it.

-ST

Yes Holy Smokes is a rock drilled with an aluminum cigar tube inserted for a container

Thought So.. Wondering did you use a masonry drill bit, or a diamond tipped bit? I've got the rocks, drill, and time, but all I need now is the bit. :(

Yes a masonry bit. I believe 1 inch diameter. Purchased it at the localhardware store. The rock I used just a local rock I have no idea of it's content. I will try to photo rock and tube in the next few days. :lol:

It's been several months since the micro cache stones were unveiled by Groundspeak and I'd like to hear from some of you who have hidden and found them (I've done neither). How realistic do they look in nature? How do they hold up to the elements? Do you include a description of the stone in your cache description? Etc.

Cheers,

IntotheWoods :lol:

Travelers Park

I had one hidden within 10 feet of a picnic table in a small park. It was just setting there in the flower bet on top of the beauty bark. It was there for about 6 months and survived several events and park cleanups.

It wasn't until the city showed up with a backhoe and totally rebuilt the park that it dissappeared.

We LOVE the fake rocks here in Austin... well, one rock in particular anyway.

Check out The Rock that Rolls (GCCF79).

It's a moving cache with ENDLESS possibilities of where to hide it since it basically blends in with the surroundings. Even though we've found it over a dozen of times, we've still managed to walk a way with a 'no find' more than once when it was still sitting there waiting to be found.

The rocks are great! :(

Speaking of which.. that darn rock has been sitting in the same place since Saturday. Time to go on a RockHound Mission! :lol:

Happy caching!

Has anybody tried to manufacture bigger hollow rocks from cement?  I've throught of trying to make a rock that was hollow to hold an ammo can.  I'm not sure the best way to go about it, and I'm sure it would probably look like a hunk of cement instead of a rock when I was done.

A technique I have seen used to create cement planters was to dig a hole out in the ground, poor your cement into it, and place something in the cement to create a hollow space. Perhaps you could insert the ammo can into the wet cement upside down. The outside would be rough and uneven, stonelike, but perhaps still look like a lump of concrete, and not a real stone. grrr..jackbear

:lol: Wondering if anyone has tried drilling actual rocks using masonry bits? Wondering how hard it would be to hollow out a small micro container sized hole in a rock from the surrounding area. Then simply glue a 35M film canister in the hole.

I have thought about it, but doesn't have time to do it right now... But I will try it...

Has anybody tried to manufacture bigger hollow rocks from cement?  I've throught of trying to make a rock that was hollow to hold an ammo can.  I'm not sure the best way to go about it, and I'm sure it would probably look like a hunk of cement instead of a rock when I was done.

A technique I have seen used to create cement planters was to dig a hole out in the ground, poor your cement into it, and place something in the cement to create a hollow space. Perhaps you could insert the ammo can into the wet cement upside down. The outside would be rough and uneven, stonelike, but perhaps still look like a lump of concrete, and not a real stone. grrr..jackbear

You can use color in the cement to make it look more realistic. Hmm... I think I might go try that. Like right now. See ya.