Oldtimers. Those Before 2002

El Diablo

As geocaching becomes more accepted I do miss the stealth aspect of trying to avoid both the general public and the park staff.

However now that more local, state, and (some) federal agencies have approved Geocaching as an acceptable land use activity. I think that this has improved our ablility to hide better placed caches on more land than we had access to in the past. Especially know that I can ask the park staff for ideas on where to hide them. They will know of some spots that even we don't know about, that would make good hides

I waited over a year from signing up to find my first cache. There weren't many in MT when we started and there are still a few open areas left to populate with them. ;)

Caches haven't changed much except for ammo cans instead of tupperware as far as my memories serve.

I even wandered the forums once or twice back then. Folks were just as nice then as they are now. Just some of the folks now are louder.

-Jennifer

Biggest change I've noted is that there seems to be more of the "toss-and-drive off" caches out there. Caches simply put under a bush or in a tree for no real reason other than the fact the site is on public land and convienient to a parking lot.

Maybe I'm having old-timer memory block but I seem to recall most of the early caches actually held to the idea that a cache should actually take the hunter to some place interesting or that they at least should provide a sense of adventgure/discovery.

No kidding on both counts. It used to be you could download a whole state's worth of caches and each one was cool to visit. Now it is a blizzard of boring caches on top of the next that aren't worth logging.

Still a lot of fun even if I'm driving through Utah (while driving my family crazy) saying, "there's one, and there is one to the right, and there is one under that tree up there."

I may only log one a year but it's a doozy. ;)

I think I'm down to one post here a year but I stop by and read them occasionally.

I think the biggest change is rules, both at Geocaching.com and in the world. Used to be that almost any kind of creative cache could get approved, but not any more. Used to be we didn't worry too much about getting permission for cache placement in public parks, but now many parks have formal policies, permits, and approval processes. Geocaching used to be a bit like the old west, a sort of anything goes free-spirited game. As the game has grown, it has also evolved. Some of the evolution has been good, some maybe not. Overall, though, it's still the best game in town.

I've avoided posting in this topic, but I suppose I will now that it has sufficiently run its course.

What I recall from my early days of caching is that there were only 40-somthing caches in my 100-mile radius. To get more than 2 or 3 in a day was something. I remember having a goal to find all of them, and I was very nearly there. I only had three or four to go.

I slowed a bit, and caching exploded. Now I have almost 300 in my 100-mile radius, and I still have the same 45 or so finds in that area.

I won't go so far as to say that the caches are worse, but I will say I don't have as much fun finding them.

When there were only a handful, each cache was an event. Now, with literally hundreds, each one loses a bit of novelty for me.

I made two (relatively) big caching marathons a while back. The first one lasted something like five days and I found 35 caches. More than half required me to get out and trek some substantial distance in the woods. There were only two or three micros (and neither was urban). Half the caches (17 of them) had cameras.

The second marathon lasted about half the time, but I found 29 caches. Most were micros, and only two or three had cameras. Just five or six of the 29 required a hike of any distance. One morning I had found five or six caches all before sunrise, which equaled a daily total from my previous caching trip.

Clearly (at least in Mississippi) the state of caching is much different. The caches are much more closely spaced, and to an extent, easier to find (or at least get to). This doesn't make it worse, it's just more mainstream. Geared toward the masses rather than hard-core outdoor adventure-type people whom I envisioned when I first logged onto GC.com.

Jamie

I've always been in a "cache-dense" area (when I first started there was about 300 within 100 miles, now it's over 1000), and never felt as if I had to drive far to get a cache. There is a sense where the area is now saturated. It used to be that there would be one cache every 1-2 miles, now there is 5-10 every 1-2 miles. I've been to some of the same parks 3-4 times now to get a "new" cache, and that has become a little old.

Regardless, there are still good caches out there, and what was true then is still true today - there are certain cachers who always seem to place great caches, whether it be a good puzzle, a well thought out adventure, or an intriguing location. It used to be when I needed a "good" cache, I'd go find a joedohn cache, now I have other names in mind (Come back Joe!!! Come back!!!!).

The forums seemed to have a greater representation of people. There were prolific posters, but there seemed to be a lot more people who participated. Now it feels as if it's just the prolific posters who talk. My forum time has gone from reading most everything on a daily basis (miss those daily digests), to checking the Northwest forum every other day or so, and all the rest when I feel like it.

The site has improved in my mind, simply by the tools offered. The PQ's are fantastic, and I really only "need" to visit to log a cache.

The activity is now commonplace, where once it was virtually unknown. I don't have to explain geocaching as often anymore - people have heard about it, or read about it. I even have had people notice the GPS in my hand, and ask "Are you doing that treasure hunting game?" (Though I still get people who think it's a phone, and tell me I'm an idiot for bringing my work out on a hike). Most still think it's oddly amusing that I participate in this activity.

There has been a growing proliferation of local associations and web pages which I think is cool. ;)

Navicache's listings still suck for my area - which is fine by me, as this site works real well.

I haven't read all of the responses, but those I've scanned I will have to agree with. There are just way too many urban micro caches. I wish "traditional" and "micro" were seperate categories so that I wouldn't have to wade through page after page of cache listings to find a traditional sized cache. Don't get me wrong, I'll still go for them, but I'm not rushing out the door to be the first finder.

There are just way too many urban micro caches.  I wish "traditional" and "micro" were seperate categories so that I wouldn't have to wade through page after page of cache listings to find a traditional sized cache.  Don't get me wrong, I'll still go for them, but I'm not rushing out the door to be the first finder.

Russell! Say it ain't so...have you been finding caching to be more and more of a bamboozling experience lately? ;):D

-Dave R.

Russell!  Say it ain't so...have you been finding caching to be more and more of a bamboozling experience lately?  ;)  :D

-Dave R.

I guess you could say so. I'm not completely opposed to micros. I just don't get the same enjoyment out of them. JamieZ said it best...

This doesn't make it worse, it's just more mainstream. Geared toward the masses rather than hard-core outdoor adventure-type people whom I envisioned when I first logged onto GC.com.
'Jamie said some stuff here'

I won't go so far as to say that the caches are worse, but I will say I don't have as much fun finding them.

When there were only a handful, each cache was an event. Now, with literally hundreds, each one loses a bit of novelty for me.

'Some other stuff was down here'

I totally agree. I can stiff vividly remember my first several cache hunts. However, about a week ago, I found thirty-something caches in one day. None were especially memorable. There were a number of virts taking me to historical places, many micros that didn't really show me anyplace special and a few 'regular' caches that didn't take me away from the view of my Jeep. Don't get me wrong, none of the caches were bad. They were just different than the ones from 'back in the day'.

It should be noted that since these caches were found during a trip from A to B, I intentionally did not go after some back-trail caches that were probably great.

My point, I suppose, is that a combination of the great number of caches available and the types of caches that were not in abundance in the beginning (virts, micros, etc) has changed the experience somewhat.

In the biginning, I might have had to drive an hour to get to a cache. I'm sure that I wouldn't have been happy with the experience if the cache was a film canister hidden in a lightpole. (I apologize for ruining many of the current caches by that statement.)

I have been around GeoCaching for a long time, but I just do it as it is convenient for me. I got into it quite heavily at first, but my wife wasn't interested and I had a hard time getting my kids excited about it. I still enjoy it, but it isn't as fun if I have to do it alone.

I'm not big on the numbers game. For example, I took a trip back to Virginia a few weeks ago, and before I left I printed off several geocaches in Alexandria. In my spare time I did a few, but didn't log any. I picked mostly virtual caches because they lead to locations of interest. It was fun.

I enjoy the direction the "sport/hobby" is going. There is something for every taste and it has stayed mostly a family activity. I wondered in the beginning how long it would take before someone decided to corrupt the game and make it an "adult" activity. There are those, but they thankfully are few and far between.

Anyway, It's been a while since I've visited the forum, but I still check in every once in a while.

I found out about this sport in 2001. I loved it then and I love it now. It does seem that some people take it too seriously. It is too bad that the "man" doesn't seems to understand what this is all about. I got into it because it seemed to be such a neat way to involve the whole family and at the same time get a little exercise. I think that's still true. I don't really enjoy caches that are just placed with nothing special in mind. I think each cache should be well thought out and show us something truly unique. I'll never forget the rush of finding my first cache-Wolves Howling At the Moon.

Edited by shuccrum

When we started you could track your stats on one hand because there were only 4 caches in the whole state. By the time I got around to actually finding one in April 2001 there was probably 20 or so to choose from.

I remember that we used to savor the individual find a lot more than nowdays, that's something I've been trying to get back to. Other than that I'll just ditto what everyone else has said. DITTO

Rusty...

I guess you could say so.  I'm not completely opposed to micros.  I just don't get the same enjoyment out of them

And from that standpoint I guess I agree with you. If a micro takes me to a cool location or a nice view or such, then it's all good (as you know, we've got a lot of those type of micros here in Biloxi where the locations wouldn't support a full-size container), but a lightpole in a Kroger parking lot next to a dumpster does nothing for me except pump up my stats (and I can speak to that from recent personal experience...I just made a pure, I-freely-admit-it "numbers run" to a well-known-to-be-cache-dense mid-south city that has WAY too many of the less-attractive type of micro we're talking about - I don't think I could tell you anything memorable about more than, say, 3, of the 100+ caches I found there).

-Dave R.

March 4, 2001.

That was a lot of caches ago. And a lot of miles. And a lot of new places that I would have never seen or even have heard about.

Some thing’s never change it seems. But this game has expanded way beyond anything anyone could have ever imagined.

When we first started, there where only something like 100 - 200 caches in Oregon. The closest one to my house was something like 25 miles and they went out from there.

I remember hearing about one of the “local” gals - 130 miles away - getting 16 caches in a day. Wow, how did she ever do that was the question. Some people even accused her of “cheating” on the logs. I went out and hit 31 caches in one day. It took me better then 400 miles and something like 19 hours.

If I was starting this today, it would not be hard to get 30 caches in 8 hours and not even leave town.

A lot of my initial thoughts about this thread have already been posted so I will skip them.

Well, Most of them. I think the cache placements have went down hill. And for the most part, I still try and take people somewhere they will enjoy for the location. Be that a mountain top or a local park.

And the forums. Well, they speak for themselves I think.

The one thing I will say that I really like is that I have meet some people through this game that I enjoy meeting on the trails, exchanging e-mails with, bantering with and sitting down at a table and chewing pizza and "the fat" with.

More will come later if needed.

logscaler.

Wow. It seems a lot has changed over the short life of this activity. It isn't that changes aren't going to happen after all, it just seems a LOT has happened in such a short time. I did not expect it to expand so quickly and I do miss the early feeling we were "in on something" that others didn't know about...lol.

The biggest change I wish to note is the expansion of the "togetherness" aspect. From being a highly individual sport or activity, focused on either individuals or families, we have grown to whole Geocaching Associations in almost every state, and have large gatherings and "events" where a lot of good Geocaching gets done.

I have met people from so many different occupations and ways of life it is unbelievable. Please, don't think I've been living under a rock, I've been a cop for over 24 years, so I've met a LOT of diferent types of people before. That was different though, different context, different aspect of acquaintence. People I now know through Geocaching simply traveled in circles I had no contact with and no knowledge of other than going to their homes to settle family squabbles or something.

In that respect Geocaching has truly become a community, rather than a group of loosely associated individuals. I do like that change. I look forward to event caches now more than any other type. I think it is the best thing to happen to the sport.

:):):)

I'm a newbie, but have some early caching insight I think. I only have 9 caches under my belt and JoGPS's Lexington Tool Cache is giving fits. Anyway...

In the Lexington, KY area, I've noticed the older caches are in less travelled areas and more scenic or historically based. I feel rather odd working grids in public places.

Cache density is very thick in Lexington. It is the primary factor I bought a GPS. I never would have got into the hobby if there were only a few within a 20 mile radius. In eastern Ohio, I showed my dad about caching and we KO'd the 4 caches within 20 miles in a day. He can't really justify getting into the hunt, because there isn't anything to hunt leisurely. He is hoping I don't find JoGPS's cache before his next visit down here (I'm sure I won't)

Cache density, I believe is good to the growth of the hobby, but placing a cache for no other reason than to place one doesn't make the hobby any more exciting.

Lastly, I keep hearing about the "game" of geocaching. I'm not sure if this is a new thing or old. I think hobby is more apt a term. The term game brings the connotation of competition, having an endpoint, and with winners and losers. Sure numbers of finds are logged, there are milestones to attain, etc, but it's not a game (unless there is an event, first one to find X caches wins). I suppose it's more of a matter of "you say ta-may-toe, I say ta-ma-toe"

If my post doesn't add to the knowledge sought by the thread, please feel free to request a moderator delete it.

John M.

Lexington, KY

Hawk-eye and El Diablo are no longer competing to place the most devious cache. Now it's WE4NCS and his Bison tubes. In fact WE4NCS wasn't even caching yet. Back then you had to get up pretty early to beat Hawk-eye to a FTF.

Nice to see you guys post. Don't worry...Hawk and I will be back! :unsure:

El Diablo

I think hobby is more apt a term. The term game brings the connotation of competition, having an endpoint, and with winners and losers. Sure numbers of finds are logged, there are milestones to attain, etc, but it's not a game

In the old days it used to be the sport of kings. Then to be more PC, all competition was eliminated and it became like T-ball, where everbody wins :unsure: *Sigh* I guess it is now a pastime. You are truly living in a wonderful age, enjoy it while you can.

Edit:typo

Edited by cachew nut

Just posting to see when it was that I joined. I like that with GC I get out a lot more to parks that I never knew existed and having a lot of fun. I am a little amazed with the PBS (Political (or Park as it might be) Bull s***e) that is taking place with the parks and approving caches. I guess it is good that they are putting rules together but I hope that it doesn't ruin the sport. The same thing has happened in the sport of off-roading. The few uninformed or uncaring of those who participate ruin the sport for the rest of us who CITO and take care when we cache.

Tigg