New Gpsr Use

TeamSpider3

Found a new use for my GPSr today, Christmas Tree Shopping! We go to one of the "choose & cut" places in South County, and every year past, it's been "Where was the perfect tree we saw earlier???" Today, it was WP035! (036 & 037 weren't as nice on a second look, the dropped off cart was WP034). The farmer was amused, but asked about buying a GPSr.

So, how else do you use your's?

Hope the Holidays (some of which started today) bring Comfort and Joy to all!

I've used it to plot pieces of a 1941 B-17 wreck that broke up in flight. The tracking also allowed me to come out of the dense forest canopy and find the car at the roadend.

I have used it as an altimeter on Sierra peaks, and the values are pretty good.

Often, on the car dashboard it serves as a centrifugal force detector.

Sometimes when I need extra exercise, I'll leave the GPS on the ground at the cache, and walk away and drive off. I get really motivated to hustle back to pick up the thing.

I've used gps for marking owl/raptor nests and territories, elk survey points, habitat boundries, disturbance boundries, right of way boundries, stream bed locations, spring locations, vernal pool locations, habitat survey coordinates, and to mark where some really huge trees are. Once I was given a CMT (Corvallis Micro technologies) machine that I measured the area of disturbance of a power line right of way by riding an ATV with one hand and trying to hold the breadbox sized GPS/data recorder machine in the other. Difficulty 10 stars, especially on the side of hills! All in 35-40 degree weather. Ah to be young and dumb again. :ph34r:

Time and Distance for workouts - am I faster today than last week? Specifically on XC ski loops, bike circuits (same) and I still haven't figured out a good way to bring it along for those 1 Mile Lake Superior training swims... Any ideas?

When XC skiing, I keep it in my zipped jacket pocket for warmth. I breathe on the back of the battery case every time I bring it out, trying to stretch the cold batteries a little farther... Unfortuantely, at -20 F ambient, they don't last, no matter what I do.

I bought my GPS for when I am out riding my bicycle. I really wanted to know how fast I was going and how far I had ridden. I also like the street level maps, particularly in my area where there are many dead end streets. I use the GPS in my car a lot, mostly for the mapping. Then I found out about geocaching and the rest is history... :P

I bring it along when I go fly sailplanes and then download the tracklog into my computer. I superpose it over an aerial map with ExpertGPS. It's fun to look at flights this way. Also good to keep my students honest when they fly their patterns.

As for battery power: I got an interface cable that connects to all 4 pins on the GPS, and built a box to plug it into that feeds the GPS 3 volts from a 6 or 12 volt, 4000 mA-hr battery pack I have. I don't need it when I go fly, but it's sure handy when I go mtn. biking or hiking so that I don't have to replace the battery all the time.

Edited by USAFA05