Tadpole Or Newbie

Day Late AV8er

Why have Tadpole under the Avatar when the number of posts that an individual has, is in view below that?

I made the newbie...ops. sorry..tadpole mistake of posting the question "Whats a Tadpole" and now I know. I gather it's just another stupid newbie question.

Well, with all the posts that I now find (funny how I can find so many now) why not just delete "Tadpole" and just leave it blank untill you get the magical number 10 posts and that would eleminate one newbie..ops again...Tadpole on going post.

Or, how about calling any one with more than say 100 or so posts a Bull Frog because they are just grown Tadpoles. They just sit on their Toad Stools behind their PC's and post and read, post and read. I would rather be a Tadpole swimming about looking for geocaches.

"Tadpole" seems a little demeaning to me. Why bother to emphasize that someone is new?

The old forums had "Geocacher", which seemed fine.

Knowing the people at Groundspeak/Geocaching.com, I'm quite sure it wasn't meant to be demeaning. However I can see how it could be taken that way.

I'm not sure what the purpose of it is, unless it's a way to try and get you to post more. There are some very oldtimers out there that would be considered a tadpole in the forums, so it's not a way of identifying newbies to the sport.

Maybe Jeremy can answer?

El Diablo

Edited by El Diablo

[

Geocacher

Tadpole, Newbie, Ugly Duckling, what is the problem. If a person does not like it, just make more posts till it changes to Geocacher. ]

Brun, You did it! 10 posts.

Wish me luck, I am ready to grow some legs!

GEO.JOE

Edited by GEO.JOE

bullfrogs are carnivorous. they have been known to eat mice, fish, other amphibians, reptiles, and of course insects. if it doesn't eat them first and they can fit it into their mouth they will give it a try! as to the tadpole appellation, letting others know you're new may save you some grief in the forums depending on what question you ask. please don't get too hung up in the forums. take it all with a grain of salt and enjoy the caching. see you out there. -harry

When I posted this question I had 8 posts, so I thought, what newbie question could I use to make another post to get that magical "Rights of Passage" to Geocacher status.

It really does not matter to me what a newbie is called, its just another post. Or as the younger folk say "what ever".

I have been visiting the forums for some time now, mostly on the GPS Units and Software forum (good stuff there) and decided that I would like to have an Avatar. Come to think of it, I have a Sea Kayak called an Perception Avatar, Gee..I had one all along.

Any way, I have the Flew and this is something to do while I'm sick. I would much rather be out Geocaching.

I think that I am a seasonal cacher, I like the winter for caching, no bugs and Ivy.

One more post to go!

Hey Look, I made it to 10 with this post......I am a GEOCACHER!

Edited by Day Late AV8er
Any way, I have the Flew and this is something to do while I'm sick.

Gee, I hope you get clearance, Clarence.........................I mean get better. :D Welcome to the forums "Geocacher"! and congratulations on the new title under your Avatar.

I wonder if those who are so concerned about these titles are the same people who want to spend our tax dollars changing "manhole covers" to "personhole covers",]"fisherman to fisherperson" and "alderman to councilperson", or change the meaning of marriage to mean something other than a relationship between a man and a woman.

Personally I think there are more important issues to crusade for, like children who live in poverty in our own country, people who abuse other people, cleaning up the enviroment, and so on. Perhaps it is easier to pick some insignificant subject where you can get all worked up over something without having to do a lot of work or research before you can pretend you know or care about something. Get a life, and get out there and Geocache.

Gee, this comment ought to be good for a decent flaming............LOL :D:D:D:)

Any way, I have the Flew and this is something to do while I'm sick.

Gee, I hope you get clearance, Clarence.........................I mean get better. :D Welcome to the forums "Geocacher"! and congratulations on the new title under your Avatar.

I wonder if those who are so concerned about these titles are the same people who want to spend our tax dollars changing "manhole covers" to "personhole covers",]"fisherman to fisherperson" and "alderman to councilperson", or change the meaning of marriage to mean something other than a relationship between a man and a woman.

Personally I think there are more important issues to crusade for, like children who live in poverty in our own country, people who abuse other people, cleaning up the enviroment, and so on. Perhaps it is easier to pick some insignificant subject where you can get all worked up over something without having to do a lot of work or research before you can pretend you know or care about something. Get a life, and get out there and Geocache.

Gee, this comment ought to be good for a decent flaming............LOL :D:D:)B)

I tried to flame you, but my Bic is out of fuel, so I'll just go along with you and agree. :D

BTW, Day Late, nice avatar! (The plane, not the kayak) :D

... It really does not matter to me what a newbie is called, its just another post.

One more post to go!

Thank goodness. When I read the initial post I came to wonder about the level of maturity of the new folks we've "recruited". I did notice, however, that your post did a good job of exposing the level of maturity of some of our veteran members.

Good job...!!! :D

"Tadpole" seems a little demeaning to me. Why bother to emphasize that someone is new?

The old forums had "Geocacher", which seemed fine.

We don't call new people 'Geocachers' right off. Sometimes a new person is just checking out the site and hasn't looked for any caches yet. It would be incorrect to label them as a Geocacher in that instance.

Tadpole can be very negative term to some people. We should just welcome them aboard and treat them as equals, after all this is only a game!!

Having to have a pre-determined number of posts to graduate to a cacher is like some topics in the days of yore. That someone would have to have to find ten before they were qualifed to plant one.

When I started I was a Geocacher when I planted this one!! Despite the fact that I hadn't looked for any caches yet.

28b38196-ad1e-4ce2-a5f3-f796221a1b25.jpg

Edited by Tahosa and Sons

This is my first post. Tadpoles are cool and being a newbie is nothing to be ashamed of. I hereby proclaim myself to be a tadbie. I feel so demeaned... :D

Anyway, my buddy turned me on to the idea of geocaching, my family thinks it sound cool so I am here to learn. As a tadbie, I am sure I will entertain and probably anger some of you. Be nice, tadbies are very delicate!!

Hello to all of you,

Ryan

This is my first post. Tadpoles are cool and being a newbie is nothing to be ashamed of. I hereby proclaim myself to be a tadbie. I feel so demeaned... :D

Anyway, my buddy turned me on to the idea of geocaching, my family thinks it sound cool so I am here to learn. As a tadbie, I am sure I will entertain and probably anger some of you. Be nice, tadbies are very delicate!!

Hello to all of you,

Ryan

Welcome aboard! :)

Hello to all of you,

Ryan

Hiya,

Ask any Questions ya got. Eventually youll get a right answer. Sometimes you have to get several replies cause some forget to give you ALL the steps but you'll get it figured out.

Oh yeah, learn to use the search feature at the top right of your screen. and reset the days to search back some things have already been covered and it will save you a couple of bashings. But just ignore them and enjoy the sport and the forums.

Beware of wet cats

This is my first post. Tadpoles are cool and being a newbie is nothing to be ashamed of. I hereby proclaim myself to be a tadbie. I feel so demeaned... :)

Hello to all of you,

Ryan

Welcome to the addiction! Sit back, Buckle up and keep your hands and feet inside the vehicle at all times! :D

Some forums let the users rate the quality of the posts by a user. Designations based upon the number of posts is meaningless. I have noticed that some players with 1000 plus posts have little to add.

I fall into that category by self admission. Hard to believe that just over a month ago I was a tadpole, isn't it? :unsure: