Mapsend Directroute

Please correct me if I'm incorrect, but if you own a purchased version of DirectRoute, it is legal (and wise) to make a back-up copy of the CD, is it not?

If so, has any one out there succesfully made a copy of this program and how?

I always make back-ups especially for those products that require the CD to be inserted when the program is running.

I also understand the companies side of view that they are losing profits to pirated copies, but they should offer a free back-up copy to owners. Don't you think? Maybe they do offer this and I just don't know of it.

I recall no reports in the yahoo groups of successful duplication of the DirectRoute cd. As I mention in my DirectRoute review (linky link below) there are two forms of customer annoyance, er, I mean copy protection used:

A) When you generate the regions, you have to enter the serial number of the receiver it will be used on. This stops someone from generating a *.img and putting on the web for others to use. (One is free to speculate on potential loopholes here, but I'm intentionally not doing so. )

:lol: CD#2, which must be present in the drive at startup, resists duplication.

Okay! Now what if you legally have the CD. But can't get your system to use it. It installs the program just fin. And wen you first put the CD in it asks if you want to run the program. So you say yes the it tell you "There is no appropriate MapSend DirectRoute NA CD-ROM In drive H:\."

Customer service can't help. Does anybody have any ideas??

Okay! Now what if you legally have the CD. But can't get your system to use it. It installs the program just fin. And wen you first put the CD in it asks if you want to run the program. So you say yes the it tell you "There is no appropriate MapSend DirectRoute NA CD-ROM In drive H:\."

If I'm reading this right, you're putting disk #1 in the drive and it auto-runs...asking if you want to run DirectRoute. You are not clicking the DirectRoute icon on your computer. If this is true, I think you need to switch to CD #2 when you get the error message. If I'm not mistaken, it is CD #2 that has to be in the drive to run the program.

QUOTE (mardy26 @ Dec 18 2003, 01:47 PM)

If at first you don't succeed........

I have Mapsend Worldwide Database and got that quite often in the first few weeks of use,but no longer get it. Maybe the laser on my dvd drive was dirty???

Edit:cd changed to dvd

Edited by fivegallon

Let me guess: You are using a DVD drive and not a CD drive, right?

My DVD Drive let me install the product but wouldn't let me run it.

After checking the toubleshooting for DirectRoute, I found it is incompatible with some drives.

Since I also have a DVD+-R+-RW I tried that and it worked.

If you have only a DVD and it won't work, you need to try downloading a new driver from the DVD drive's manufacturor. If it still won't work, then call Thales and let them know. Maybe they can help. (According to their documentation.)

Edited by DustyJacket

...and more than likely Thales will tell you to return it for refund. It sounds like they are admitting that the copy protection scheme is not compatible with many newer CD and most DVD drives (yours is the first I've heard of working with DirectRoute, DJ). Frustrating for those with the "wrong" equipment.

The irony pointed out by someone in the yahoo group is that the user license allows the user to make a backup copy. It will be a copy that can't be used. I understand--and even sympathize--with their need to copy protect. But copy protection schemes too, too often don't work as intended and raise beaucoup ire.

sounds like they are admitting that the copy protection scheme is not compatible with many newer CD and most DVD drives (yours is the first I've heard of working with DirectRoute, DJ). Frustrating for those with the "wrong" equipment.

My Windows system is a laptop with a DVD, but by no stretch is it "newer". It works with DR just fine. The DR disk, like my original SA9Dlx disk (and those are the ONLY two that have shown this) has some kind of physical characteristic (my guess it slightly off balance) that makes it sound like a plane taking off when the disk spins up. I "solved" this for SA9 by (taa daa) duplicating the CD and stashing my original. I later solved it even better by upgrading my HD so I just just install the data straight to the HD. WIth DR, neither of those are an option, but it doesn't annoy me as much because the disk spins for such a short time during program startup that it doesn't spin up all the way to "streaming" mode.

I don't think we've heard it get called out in the yahoo groups much becuase people don't tend to report when things DO work. (And firemen never know how many cats AREN'T stuck in a tree.)

I had the same problem with the CD not being read after successfull install. I called the Tech support and they told me to replace my CD-ROM player. I said no, I wanted a different CD first before I "replaced" my CD-ROM Player. They sent me a new copy of the software (without asking for the old back) as a warrentee replacement.

There is nothing strange about my CDROM Drive. It is not DVD, nore CD-R/RW. I tried the original disk in a different computer (with a DVD drive) and it works correctly. I tried the original disk in a 3rd computer and it works correctly. So apparently, there are some CDROM Drives that will have issues. My first CDROM drive is a sony 52x. Who knows. I am not replacing the drive, I will just use the other computer.

Now, I have not tried the new copy of the software yet. In fact, I have not even taken the shrinkwrap off. :)

Anyone have any ideas here?

I called the Tech support and they told me to replace my CD-ROM player.

No ideas - the copy protection software must need improvements.

Up to now, I have liked Thales products and support, but the above response really chaps my rear-end.

I base my purchases on those companies with good support, and that response would drive me to look at Garmin's Map60cs, instead of the Meridian Color that I already have (if I were looking for a new GPSr).

My big gripe is that I have it installed on two computers (One at home, and my office). I do NOT like having to carry the CD back and forth just to use the software. I find that I am not even using it now. I too am not real happy about this latest turn with Thales.

I think what you are doing is technically against the software license. According to the License Agreement...

Under the Agreement, you have a limited, non-exclusive, personal license to:

(i) install and operate a single copy of this computer program on a single computer to enable you to download data from that computer to a single Magellan family handheld GPS receiver;

(ii) make one archival copy of the program for use with the same computer;

(iii) download only one navigational chart in digital, machine-readable format at a time onto only one SD Card which can be inserted into a Magellan family handheld GPS receiver; and

(iv) if you are the registered owner of a Magellan family handheld GPS receiver and a Magellan Panel Mount GPS receiver you may use that programmed SD Card in such Panel Mount unit.

Don't worry...I won't tell anyone.

Well Gentelmen I am now caught on the same horns of the dilemma that others have been addressing on this thread. My son purchased Direct Rout for my birthday and I was able to install both disks, but when I try and just look at the CD to see just what it is that I have, the computer will not recognize the disk

I have removed the disk and reinstalled on two occasions and it still will not load up. I am running Win. ME on a two year old Dell , with a DVD drive and compact disk rewritable drives and nether one will load up.

I did a search to get to this thread and notice that it is last dated Dec. 31,2003 so it is old,.....has any body found out just what the latest fix is other than requesting my (gift) money back

Edited by stutzismydog

A few people reported that uninstalling Intel Application Accelerator allowed DR to recognize the data CD. If that doesn't work for you, your only other choices are to buy a CD/DVD driver that is compatible, wait for Magellan to sort it out, return it for refund.

Thanks Embra for responding. Even if I new how to un-install the Intel Application Accelerator ?? I would NOT go to that extent.

After all of the negative comments that have been express about Magellan's new Direct Rout CD and the fact that the Copy Protected CD will not function on some computers DVD drives even after the apparent successful install ??? You would think that Magellan would come out with a software work around to correct the problem because of the potential loss of sales as more people learn about this.

I will just waite and see what happens with correcting this problem and not load the V5.12 version update CD into my Meri/Plat because the V4.06 is working fine.

I just wanted to add something that I just noticed. I had Direct Route open and running on my computer. I wasnt doing anything with it, it was just open and running. I took the CD out, and immediately, the prompt popped up saying that I didnt have the CD in, and that I should put it in and hit retry. I hit retry anyways, and the program instantly closed. It seems, you cant even have the program open without the CD. The program must check for the CD constantly because it noticed it immediately. Anyways, I thought it was a bit of overkill...

Thats all.

Regarding the incompatibility between Direct Route and the Intel Application Accellerator, I was unable to use Direct Route on two completely different systems (different motherboards, cd/dvd drives, memory, etc). The only common denominator was Intel Application Accellerator. Removing it allowed Direct Route to run on both machines.

This did not come as a particular surprise to my engineer friend from Intel, who could not believe I had actually installed Application Accellerator in the first place. Apparently, it is known to cause more harm than good even among those who might otherwise be expected to support it's use.

Should you choose to remove it, you should be able to do so via the control panel's 'Add/Remove Programs' application. I haven't missed it after removing it.

~Booger

Booger and The Grub~

I will start with the fact that I am computer "CHALLENGED". With regard to you and several others noting that you removed the "Intel Application Accelerator" , I looked for this specific wording in the control panel's 'Add/Remove Programs' and the only Intel listing was ...."Intel Ultra ATA Storage Driver" on my computer. I did not remove that driver for fear of falling off of the cliff. <_< Do you have any other advise???

stutzismydog....

You might look in the Start menu for Intel/Application Accellerator/Remove... It is also possible that you don't have it installed after all, and are just having the standard copy protection woes. It will only potentially be installed if you have an Intel motherboard in your system.

Good luck!

~Booger

(edited for specious spelling)

Edited by Booger and The Grub