Snowshoes?

FarSideX

After getting over 3 1/2 feet of snow the past week here (drifts over 6 feet) and it isn't even officially winter yet I think this year may be the year to finally get those snow shoes I have been thinking about.

What do you recommend in a snow shoe? I will probably use them in a wide variety of conditions. I was thinking of getting a pair of Tubbs Adventure, Tubbs Discovery or Atlas 10 snowshoes.

Also any boot recommendations for snowshoeing.

Edited by FarSideX

The size and type of snowshoe you should buy depends on a couple of pretty straight forward things and a couple of aesthetic things:

1. The type of terrain you want to cross

2. Amount of brush (long shoes are hard to turn in in brushy areas)

3. Your weight (including gear)

4. Level of $'s you want to spend

The aesthetic considerations are the old fashioned wood/rawhide shoe vs the modern metal/composite type. Both have adavantages and disadvantages but most people go with the more modern style due to maintenance needs (there aren't any) versus the need to revarnish the wood type and to keep rodents from eating your laces.

One final note, I would really recommend you spend some time in a variety of bindings to find one that is easy to get into and still snug enough not to slip. Also, if your boots have a lug pattern on the sole you can build up a ball of snow between the bottom of your boot and the top of the shoe (really uncomfortable).

As with most things in life, I would recommend that you buy the best you can afford and only cry once.

Edited by Q2XL

Ditto on Q2XL's advice. Also consider the type of snow you'll be walking on. If you expect a lot of fresh powder and off trail walking, a larger shoe will give you better floatation. If you'll be sticking to trails that will have somewhat compacted snow, go with a smaller shoe in your weight range, as they will be lighter.

I'd like to add that from personal experience, I don't care for Tubbs. I don't like their binding system, as I've had problems with Tubbs bindings coming undone during use. I have a pair of Atlas' (1030's, I think) now and really like them. The binding system is easy to use and the shoes stay on. Against my better judgement, I bought a pair of Tubbs 2 winters ago for my daughter and they are constantly coming loose on her, to the point she gets very frustrated. We brought along a friend of hers last year and she rented some Tubbs and had similar problems.

My wife has Redfeathers and is very happy with them, so I wouldn't rule them out if I were you. My brother has Yakima shoes and they seem to have the same problem with the bindings that the Tubbs have.

As far as boots, I usually just go with my hiking boots and a pair of gaiters and they work fine, but I've also worn thicker pac type boots (leather top/rubber bottom) without a problem. The Tubbs bindings seem to adapt nicely to all kinds of boots.

For some great deals on snowshoes, check here.

Edited by briansnat

I use both types and would reccommend the "Bear Paw" type to the classic Alaskan Trapper version for most of your needs (short trips for caching etc.). When on expeditions, use the classics.

You can find some Bear Paws from most outdoor internet shops for about $75. You may or may not get good bindings.

Like the previous posting mentioned, if you are buying locally, try them out and see if how well they will work with your boots.

Cheers,

Northern Trekker

North Pole, Alaska

I've had Tubbs' mountain series for seversl years now, and I love them!

I chose thes because of the lifetime warranty for one thing. The extra aggressivee

crampon really helps. Ease of straps/ buckles is also very important, remember that

you'll be wearing gloves so make sure which ever pair you choose is easy to use.

I have used Atlas snowshoes for many years and really appreciate their quality and reliability. I currently use a pair of the 1230's, which have the ratcheting buckle system. This makes them very easy to put on, even with gloves. I have found the spring-loaded bindings to work very well. Make sure to consider not only your weight, but also the weight of all the gear you will be carrying when you decide on the size of snowshoe to buy. I love to camp in the snow, so I am usually carrying a backpack or pulling a sled when snowshoeing so I use the large shoes.

1132_3900.jpg

Mine are 9x30 Sherpa “Climbers” with hypalon decking, Lotus binding and adjustable pivot system. The photo above was taken last Winter at "Whitney Copse" cache near Binghamton, NY. There was a fragile crust covering 18-24 inches of snow.

Bear in mind that snowshoes are great for steep terrain but they will not provide the efficiency, convenience, speed and degree of flotation that X-C skis can. And that is especially true in deep powder. I own both and speak from years of experience. I rely on snowshoes whenever I've got a lot of climbing to do, when the trek to a cache is relatively short, and/or when I'm bushwhacking and there is an icy crust over the snow that won't support my weight. Otherwise I'm convinced that waxless X-C skis are nearly the most ideal way to travel in snow country!

Cheers ...