Etrex Questions (newbie)

zipster223

I’m sure this has been discussed before but I am not finding the answers in my search so here goes.

Can I make my etrex (yellow) communicate with my laptop?

If so what would you suggest for software? (Any freebees out there)

Can I attach the PC to the GPS and view my location on the PC screen via map?

Can I load geocaching locations to my GPS via laptop?

I’m sure this has been discussed before but I am not finding the answers in my search so here goes.

Yes, you can connect your eTrex to your laptop. The cable from Garmin (expensive) or one you make yourself ( pfranc ) is usually connected to a serial port though many have used adapters for USB ports.

Garmin's software, MapSource works well and is great if you upgrade to a GPSr with mapping. Most anyothers will work too as Garmins are pretty standard.

I have used my eTrex with Delorme software on my notebook and it is pretty cool to watch as I go along. Since I got my Vista I seldom use it that way. More for fear I will break suddenly and the notebook will crash into the foot well.

Using EasyGPS or other software, you can download your waypoints to you computer, load the file on the software and then upload the waypoints to your GPS. The same cable mentioned above is required.

Good luck!

George

Yes. You need a cable. I'd suggest GPSGEEK. The prices are so low it's not worth messing with building your own unless you have very specific needs.

Yes. You need a cable. I'd suggest GPSGEEK. The prices are so low it's not worth messing with building your own unless you have very specific needs.

Do you have a PDA to store cache information? If you have a Palm I'd suggest CacheMate ($7 and well worth it.)

Yes, with the right software on the laptop. Off hand I don't know of any (yet) hopefully someone else will chime in here.

Yes, EasyGPS - and it's free.

Yes, with the right software on the laptop. Off hand I don't know of any (yet) hopefully someone else will chime in here.

Edited by GeckoGeek

Do you have a PDA to store cache information? If you have a Palm I'd suggest CacheMate ($7 and well worth it.)

Is there an echo in here? :lol: