New Travel Bug Page

Doc-Dean

Ok, I found link problem.

Bugs on my watch list link to the old pages. I have tried a couple of things, and even bugs added to the watch list from their new pages, link me to the old page.

I also note that I can no longer add my own bugs to my watch list from the new pages. (I do this to keep them all together in one place)

here's a small suggestion for the map, to go along with all the others, how about for each step that is displayed, the log for that step appears at the side of the map.

One very minor grumble, and I dont know if this is where it belongs. Feel free to move it if it's not...

I see cache pages now say "There were bugs in this cache"

Ummm....do we care if TBs WERE in the cache? I don't. I think most get excited if a bug is in the cache, but not if a bug has been.

IMVHO, it just adds clutter and unnessesary info to the page.

Ed

Edited by Ed & Julie
One very minor grumble, and I dont know if this is where it belongs. Feel free to move it if it's not...

I see cache pages now say "There were bugs in this cache"

Ummm....do we care if TBs WERE in the cache? I don't. I think most get excited if a bug is in the cache, but not if a bug has been.

IMVHO, it just adds clutter and unnessesary info to the page.

Ed

I *really* like the View Bug History feature but I agree with Ed in that I'd prefer just to have the link, not the TB icon, in cases where there are no current TBs in the cache.

Jeremy, these new travel bug pages are great!

I didn't see any problems other than a couple that were already reported. However I do have a request. Can you make sheet.aspx accept an ID and/or ref# so GPX Spinner can easily make pages that link to it.

I've been looking for a way for GPX Spinner to include a bug's goal, and this page looks like an easy way to do that, without having to include a bunch of extraneous html.

Thanks a bunch!

This may have been answered but i didn't see it.

On the My Cache Page and my Travel Bugs' page title my bug names that I have bold and color html tags show the tags instead of bolding and coloring the name. Is there a new way to type the html or is it not allowed anymore? Sorry if i missed the answer somewhere up there

Did you create the HTML to have that image display on the bug page, or did you edit the bug description after uploading the picture?

If you edit the description AFTER uploading the picture, there's a drop-down allowing you to choose the gallery picture for the bug. That automatically displays the picture on the bug's page, and is the one that is used on the bug printout.

If you edited the HTML to show the image yourself when setting up the bug (without using the dropdown) then the bug wouldn't show on the printout sheet, nor would it display in the bug gallery.

I chose the drop-down.

Currently, if I edit the page, and in the Drop Down choose 'No Image Selected' and save, the picture is not shown on the bug page, and on the Printout page it will show the default TB dog tags. Which is expected.

And if I select the image in the drop down, it is displayed on the page, but the Printout page just shows a placeholder.

I don't have time to read the thread, and I'm sure it's come up, but i would like to put in my vote for this: could the TB maps start zoomed out to show the whole path of the bug, like they used to. Use the new map base, that's fine, but I usually call this page up to get an idea of the bugs total travels, geographically. Eg, has it been to california (or it's goal area) yet? That is something that can't be answered by just looking at the list of caches it's been through, thus the desire to see an overview map. Thanks.

btw, yes, i know the old map is available as a link.

I just viewed the new Travel Bug pages for the first time because of getting notification about a bug that I'm tracking. I like the setup, but it looks like when I'm following the progress of the TB on the new map, the whole TB web page gets regenerated each time I hit the "Next" link. You might want to save yourself some bandwidth by having the map in it's own frame that gets regenerated without the rest of the page. :D

Is there a way to add an "and" search to the keyword search?

As it stands now, every keyword you add doesn't narrow your results.

It EXPANDS them as an OR search.

Before it was an AND search and the results were always few if you knew what you were looking for.

If I know the exact name of a bug, I can no longer get just the few listings for all the bugs that have only the exact same words contained in their name.

I'll use mine for an example.

Rescue

208 hits

Ranger

86 hits

Chip

110 hits

Rescue Ranger Chip

Used to only bring up one hit

Now it brings up 398

In any of those four searches above, I have to search and then navigate the page listing at the bottom of the results to find what only normally took one page load before.

Thanks.

If you mark the bug missing, can it be resurrected?  Good looking work, well done!

Oh yeah. It just leaves it out of caches or people's hands until someone else logs it. The next person just "grabs" the bug again.

I am unable to find the spot to mark a bug as missing.

Is this power only available to those who have found the bug or are owners of a bug? I was under the hopeful impression that I, as the cache owner, can mark a TB as missing since I know it is no longer in my cache. In this case, I never had the bug's 6-digit secret code.

PS

Thanks for the new TB pages. I am quite fond of them!

Oh yeah. It just leaves it out of caches or people's hands until someone else logs it. The next person just "grabs" the bug again.

I am unable to find the spot to mark a bug as missing.

Is this power only available to those who have found the bug or are owners of a bug?

Only bug owners and TPTB have this power. :D

Not even us reviewers can do this. :)

Only bug owners and TPTB have this power. :D

I peeked in on one of my own TBs and I still do not see it.

Am I looking in the wrong spot?

I see :

- retrieve from SOME CACHE

- write note

- grab it from somewhere else

There should be a dropdown box on the travel bug listing, not the log page. If there is not, I'll try and find out why you aren't seeing it. You should have options like "recalculate distance" and "mark bug missing" as actions.

Thanks for continuing the bugs and suggestions for changes. I'll continue working on this over the next few days, and intermittently over the holidays.

The search related question is more related to my ignorance of freetext queries than anything. I'll try and get a good book on that feature so the searches work as advertised.

Thanks for continuing the bugs and suggestions for changes. I'll continue working on this over the next few days, and intermittently over the holidays.

Since you are still working on the T-Bug pages, here are a couple of other suggestions:

1. I like that the T-Bug picture upload page now works like the one for cache picture uploads. I love the "Visit the Gallery" option that has been added to cache pages and user profiles. It would be great to have this feature on the travel bug pages also.

2. Being able to quickly create a bug sheet is great. It would be nice if the bug sheet had some logging instructions on it. It should at least have the URL to get the the logging instructions or the T-Bug page. It currently does not even show the geocaching.com URL.

Lastly - Are we going to be able to zoom out on the new maps in the future?

Thanks for all the great upgrades,

Rocket Man

It all looks pretty good to me, however, when I printed a TB instruction/goal page, I shrunk it down quite a bit, and besides the print getting pretty small, some of the print that was bold or italics was overlapping the other print.....this may just be a problem with my printer, it's about 6 years old.....

I've always wondered why notes were limited to people with the TB #. Do they count as finds? There have been times I've wanted to post something like "If you get it to my area, I can get it to Blah" on a TB but wasn't able to. I emailed the owner in those cases, but think it would be cool if people cold log notes without the TB tag number. I'm assuming there is a reason for this limitation I haven't thought of.

[i have fat fingers today, fixed typos]

Edited by trippy1976
I've always wondered why notes were limited to people with the TB #. Do they count as finds? There have been times I've wanted to post something like "If you get it to my area, I can get it to Blah" on a TB but wasn't able to. I emailed the owner in those cases, but think it would be cool if people cold log notes without the TB tag number. I'm assuming there is a reason for this limitation I haven't thought of.

[i have fat fingers today, fixed typos]

I'm guessing that if you could post notes, you could log the bug as found? And perhaps it would require waaaaay too much code rewriting to do it the way you want it? I don't know.....just a very highly uneducated guess....... ;)

Made some fixes.

1. The watch number is there now

2. Added "Move to last location" on the dropdown list for owners. Using this option will reposition the bug in whatever the last log was for the bug. For example, deleting the last drop off log and using this option it will stick it back in the hands of the user who had it last.

That is no longer true. You can now post notes without knowing the number. Only grabbing travel bugs require the code now.

Does that mean that putting a note on a bug no longer gives you the ability to claim the bug as found? Seems there is a need for two types of notes:

1) A note where you can enter the tag ID and claim the bug as found.

2) A note on the bug were you don't enter the tag ID but you don't claim the bug as found.

GO$Rs

Does that mean that putting a note on a bug no longer gives you the ability to claim the bug as found?

There are three types of grab logs:

I grabbed x from y location

or

I grabbed x from y user

or

I grabbed x from another location

There is a final log type called "note" (just like with geocaches). This is the only log type that does not require a TB code to log. This is also the only log type that does not "grab" the travel bug.

The note log has always existed but prior to the changes it required you to know the code.

There is something strange with bug notes here (or I'm just being thick).

This is how it seems to work now. I can note a bug without the tag ID. This bug is "claimed" for me in my bug total stats and in my "Travel Bugs Found list". If I remove the note from the bug my stats get cleaned up but the bug still shows up in my "Found List".

I guess the way I would expect this to work is that if I make a note on the bug that it is not claimed in any way by me (since it doesn't require the ID any longer) -- either in my stats or in my found list.

This is the bug I used to test (a bug I previously did not find). Can someone remove it from my "Bugs found list"?!?!

GO$Rs

Edited by g-o-cashers
This is how it seems to work now. I can note a bug without the tag ID. This bug is "claimed" for me in my bug total stats and in my "Travel Bugs Found list". If I remove the note from the bug my stats get cleaned up but the bug still shows up in my "Found List".

We're talking about two different things. A note does not "grab" the bug, but it may show up on the stats page. Thanks for letting me know this. I'll look into it.

The changes are good for the most part. I do have one small issue..The TB search feature is a pain now..You used to be able to type in the name of the TB and get an exact match..Now you have to search through every TB with any of the same words in the title..Is there anything you can do about this..If you have already answered this question..Sorry

Slider5150

Great job on the TBugs guys. I had one problem that has arisen with the title on the bugs page. I have a few 'sets' of bugs out there. One set has five bugs involved in a quest. It is the 'Holy Grail' (TB8D73) set. When I created them I used some html codes to have all the names show up in the color gold. This really worked well as it grouped all those bugs together on my travel bug page. I used this on three other sets as well, all with different colors, which groups them nicely on the page.

The problem is that on the new bug page the html codes are visable and I can't seem to edit it without losing the color in the title.

Thanks in advance for your help with this.

T

H

EDGE

Edited by TheEdge
This is how it seems to work now.  I can note a bug without the tag ID.  This bug is "claimed" for me in my bug total stats and in my "Travel Bugs Found list".  If I remove the note from the bug my stats get cleaned up but the bug still shows up in my "Found List".

We're talking about two different things. A note does not "grab" the bug, but it may show up on the stats page. Thanks for letting me know this. I'll look into it.

Today I posted a note for a bug that I have never seen. I certainly don't have the 6-digit number for it.

It still does add this TB to the "Travel Bugs that you found" list on My Cache Page. Certainly, it's obvious that this is not how it is meant to work. I will confidently guess that this issue will eventually be fixed when you folks start re-coding My Cache Page.

Is this request still pending or has it been discarded?

============================

============================

Is there a way to add an "and" search to the keyword search?

As it stands now, every keyword you add doesn't narrow your results.

It EXPANDS them as an OR search.

Before it was an AND search and the results were always few if you knew what you were looking for.

If I know the exact name of a bug, I can no longer get just the few listings for all the bugs that have only the exact same words contained in their name.

I'll use mine for an example.

Rescue

208 hits

Ranger

86 hits

Chip

110 hits

Rescue Ranger Chip

Used to only bring up one hit

Now it brings up 398

In any of those four searches above, I have to search and then navigate the page listing at the bottom of the results to find what only normally took one page load before.

Thanks.

Is there a new way to type the html or is it not allowed anymore?

It was never officially allowed. I'm going to go through them all and strip out the html, just in case.

Granted the html in the bug names is not officially allowed, I don't know how many bugs might fall into the same boat as this bug. It really doesn't have a name, just a picture.

I've run into something sort of interesting, in a buggy sort of way. I found and placed a travelbug, Greyback - Wolf #1, in Summer Solstice.

No problems there.

However, this TB was retrieved from the cache correctly -- as evidenced on its own TB page -- but still appears on the cache page. (along with three other TBs that are purportedly not physically in the cache, but listed as such on their pages).

What's up with that? Is it a bug in the code for a particular TB or cache? That would really be odd, from a programming perspective. I've never seen this with any other TBs...