New Travel Bug Page

Doc-Dean

First of all this has been long awaited and I applaud you and your staff for the fine job, it really looks great!

To business:

1. When clicking on a bug to see its progess there is a very large amount of information at the bottom of the page which I am sure you would rather not be there. This includes: Request Details, Trace Information, Control Tree, Session state, Application State, Cookies Collection, Headers Collection, Querystring Collection, and Server Variables... I would think all this extraneous information is unnecessary and could drain bandwidth...

2. Not a bug, but a question, Can the new maps be scalable to zoom in or out to see the areas instead of focusing on a single cache the bug has travelled through??

BTW clicking the cache name the bug was in, takes you to that cache's page which is a very nice touch...

Edited by Doc-Dean

I happened to be logging some bugs this afternoon and noticed on the main bug page under most recent logs that my log looked like this:

retrieved Speers Travel Bug from I-90/I-495 Bug Hotel

For some reason my username got cut off at the beginning of the line. Several other logs I made around the same time looked the same. The other lines seemed to be fine and included valid user names. The log itself looks fine.

GO$Rs

Yep - whole lot of extra stuff that I presume shouldn't be there at the bottom of the history page.

So far, everything else looks good to me. There's not an answer to the question posed here. Jeremy implied that the enhancements would.

Given a particular cache (say EAST MEETS WEST or you can’t get there from here), is there a way to see a history of what bugs have been in the cache?

Edited by Markwell

One comment - I use html tags ito bold and color the text of the name of my bugs. When viewing the main page for the bug the html tags are visable - the bug's name is displayed normally on other pages. (I'm using Mozilla)

Edited by PDOP's
When clicking on a bug to see its progess there is a very large amount of information at the bottom of the page which I am sure you would rather not be there.

Yes. Out of the 10 code pages I missed one. I removed the debug code. Thanks.

Not a bug, but a question,  Can the new maps be scalable to zoom in or out to see the areas instead of focusing on a single cache the bug has travelled through??

The short answer is yes. So I could get the new code out there I had to stop somewhere. The old maps are still there (click on the "old map" link). Currently the map pans but is in a fixed position. I'll work on adding zoom in/out as well. Also, I have plans to provide a GPX file of the travel bug's track data, including logs.

As apparently everywhere else outside the US (didn't check), the maps in Finland just suck. Or more precisely, they simply don't exist. :D

Yes. I have always acknowledged that maps outside the US suck. We purchased better maps and are still waiting for our map vendor's help to integrate them into our current map software. When this happens all the new maps will have the new data.

Please be patient. I know I'm not :D

The ready-made travel bug goal sheet is VERY COOL, thanks for adding this new feature. Anyone can print off a goal sheet (or a revised goal sheet) and easily add it to a bug as it begins, continues or changes its journey. For those who haven't stumbled across this yet, check it out by clicking on the "Print Bug Sheet" link on the Travel Bug Options menu at the top right of the bug's page.

Will there be a "print-friendly" version of a travel bug's page? The goal sheet only captures the short summary goal, not the full-blown description. Some folks like to print out the whole sheet but it is annoying to also have to print all the logs.

EDIT: Some links from elsewhere in the site go to the old version of the travel bug's page. I'm assuming you know that. Example: Clicking on a bug's link at the top right of the cache page for the cache it's currently in (even if the cache owner regenerates the page); clicking on a recently placed bug listed on a State's page. Links from "My Cache Page" to bugs I've found will take me to the new version of the bug page, though.

Edited by The Leprechauns

Nice new maps on the travel bug pages!

I did notice a problem with one of my bugs, the Golden Spike. It had been placed into what I think was an archived cache. It looks like the log entry for the placement in the archived cache does not show up on the travel bug page itself, but it says it was Recently Spotted in:~, and the last map shows some arrows from its last cache to this other cache. I cannot follow the next > link to this other cache on the new map page.

This bug can be found at The golden Spike TB.

Thanks for looking into this.

mredden

Another nit in addition to the one I posted above: Go to the advanced search page and search for bugs seen in a cache which has never had any bugs. You'll see the "No results were found for your search." string at the top of this page. Now search in another cache which has had bugs. The results page with all the bugs will have the "No results were found for your search." string across the top. I was using the search by waypoint ID if that matters.

GO$Rs

My observations... (Great Job)

1) 2004 Geocoins appear as 2003 geocoins... very cool that a picture of the geocoing appears in the bug sheet.

2) I agree... zoomable will be a great next step. The new maps are a great improvement though.

3) Permanently Encrypt? What is this button for?

4) Are you still going to put out an image gallery for bugs?

I did notice a problem with one of my bugs, the Golden Spike. It had been placed into what I think was an archived cache. It looks like the log entry for the placement in the archived cache does not show up on the travel bug page itself, but it says it was Recently Spotted in:~,

The cache in question here was never approved because it was placed in an area that prohibits geocaches. Chances are that the hider (Duaut) will re-locate this cache soon, but feel free to contact him if you would like.

My observations... (Great Job)

1) 2004 Geocoins appear as 2003 geocoins... very cool that a picture of the geocoing appears in the bug sheet.

I just found out about 2004 travel bugs. I'll have to retroactively change them :D

3) Permanently Encrypt?  What is this button for?

I use the same logging code as geocaches. You don't really need to ROT13 encrypt your logs for travel bugs, but that option is there if you really want to.

4) Are you still going to put out an image gallery for bugs?

Yes. But as per the bug referenced in the official notice, I don't have thumbnails for most of the travel bug images. I have to create an app to build them so we can have the gallery. Right now it will just show bugs that have their own images.

Love the new TB section, great work, so it's got a few bugs here and there, what hasn't? I'm sure they'll all get ironed out soon enough.

Heh. Well don't hold back. I need to know where the bugs are.

Of course if there were no bugs, the section would have some serious problems! (Bad Travel Bug humor)

...is a USA 2003 Geocoin, travelling from Geocache to Geocache...

I noticed a typo on the bug sheet. traveling only has one "L". Sorry to be picky.

Ha! I did that on purpose for you grammarians. Travelling can be spelled with both one or two L's, though the common spelling is with one. Always got to stick one of those annoying tics.

Ha! I did that on purpose for you grammarians. Travelling can be spelled with both one or two L's, though the common spelling is with one. Always got to stick one of those annoying tics.

Did you just curse me?

Careful, or I'll end a sentence in a preposition :D

Seriously, since I gotcha I went ahead and remove the l and put it in this sentence.

Just love it - Need I say more?

Well just a couple of things more to say.

1. The bug sheet is great, but it says "If you are willing to log your part of the journey of this item and place it another geocache as soon as possible (after you log your find), grab it from this geocache and read the instructions on the reverse side." but the sheet is only one page. There is no reverse side that I can see.

2. It has always bothered me that when dropping off a bug, there was no way to leave a comment on the travel bug log. I see that it is now possible to leave a comment by doing an edit of the log entry on the travel bug page after the bug is dropped off by doing so when logging a cache page. The only problem is that you get a "This item was edited ..." message when the travel bug log is edited. Is it possible to make it so that the "This item was edited ...." message does not show up when the comment is first entered to a drop off log?

Keep up the good work,

Rocket Man

It has always bothered me that when dropping off a bug, there was no way to leave a comment on the travel bug log.

If you edit it right after you place it, you won't get that "edited by" note. You get around 15 minutes to make changes.

Good point on the second page comment. I will edit it.

There is a minor glitch on the advanced search page.

When clicking on either the "By Cache Number" or "By Username" input boxes, the focus stays on the Go button next to the "By Keyword" box so that if you enter text and hit enter, it tries to do a keyword search instead of one of the other searches. RM

Great work on the TB pages :D

On the Search Travel Bugs History for Cache page in the location column there are two icons (a cube and a frog's foot). What do these mean.

Edit

OK I've figured out that the frog's foot links to a cachers profile and the cube links to a cache. Why would a cachers profile be shown in the location column?

Edited by PDOP's
:D The bug wouldn't happen to be in the possession of that cacher would it? Now if the link could tell you the current location of the cacher, that would be a real trick!

*sigh* - The privacy policy won't allow it.

BTW, you should probably take that wet towel off your bed and put it on the hook in your bathroom. Not that we have a tracking tag implanted or anything...

New TB pages are great. Thanks, Jeremy.

I've noticed that on each of my bug pages (e.g. FindJon Chevy) the image displays in the middle of the page which scrunches the Current Goal text to a very narrow column. I've looked at (a handful of) other TB pages which appear to display differently, with the image further on the right. Is there something I can do to change/correct this? Thanks! And apologies if I'm missing something obvious, which tends to happen occasionally.

Edited by Theseus
Is the recalculation still a work in progress?

Apparently so. I noticed that before leaving work. I'll see if I can sort it out tomorrow.

I also plan to add an option to place the travel bug in the last known location, so if you, say, delete the last log you can reset the location of the bug to the new last known log.

.. the image displays in the middle of the page which scrunches the Current Goal text to a very narrow column.

This is actually due to the option table. When it is your bug it has more options, so the travel bug image ends up sticking to the left of the table. It will take some work to design the page so it doesn't do that.

Log out and look at the page again. That is what it looks like to everyone else.