Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
lnk3d

Standard Frs / Gmrs Geocaching Channel?

Looking to find or establish a standardized channel / squelch ( Privacy code ) for geocaching, are there any existing standards being used in other states?

Currently I am unaware of any such standard

Thank you

Lnk3d - Administrator

http://www.getlostne.us

Get Lost (in) Nebraska

I believe any channel usage is pretty much localized, so will vary from place to place. I don't recall hearing about "The One Channel" to be used nationwide.

Regarding PL, my personal opinion is that PL is less than useful for simplex operations. It means you can't hear if the channel is clear before you talk, and it introduces a small but unnecessary delay in receiving the transmitted signal. Considering the point that most FRS/GMRS radio users start talking before the push the PTT button to begin with, the additional PL delay just makes it that much more annoying.

"Percy, you're going to have to repeat the beginning of your transmission...again. Remember, push the button, wait for a second, then begin talking."

"... come I don't have any problem hearing the beginning of your transmissions, Boyd?"

*Sigh* "Because I push the button, wait for a second, then begin talking."

Pause.

"Oh."

Agreed.

If no such standard exists I will get with others in my area and see about establishing a standard channel for geocaching.

Thank you

Some time ago they established channels 2 primary and 12 alternate with no codes for geocaching.

I don't have time to research the thread, so you can do it if you like.