Ever Have A Run Of Bad Luck?

Not too bad. 3 consecutive DNF's in one day while geocaching on vacation. The thing that hurt was that all 3 have been found pretty regularly since. Next to that it was 4 DNF's over a several day visit to the Sacramento area. 2 of the 4 were missing.

Then there is this cache, where I had 6 DNF's before it was archived :D .

Edited by briansnat

When I first started Geocaching I borrowed a friends old GPS unit. I believe it was a scout, explorer or something like that. It wouldn't hold a signal on a clear day in the middle of a field. We spent 2 hours hunting our 1st cache tearing up the woods before we found it.

I then bought a Garmin Venture and practiced in the yard until I was certain that I could find a needle in a haystack. A new cache popped up and off we went. We got to the area and the GPS pointed 100yds out into the lake. We spent 3 hours going over the shore line, but the GPS stubbornly pointed to the lake. After a million insect bites and losing a gallon of blood to the thorns and fighting every urge in my body to chunk the GPS out to where it was pointed, I gave up.

Went home and sat down to log my 1st DNF when I noticed the original coordinates had changed. I shot the cache owner an email for an explanation, to which he responded that he had originally entered the wrong coords. Back we went. Weak from the loss of blood and dehydration we still managed to log our FTF cache ever. :D After that experience I wasn't sure if I ever wanted to Geocache again!

El Diablo

I was 0 and 5 on my second day of geocaching. In my defense, one had apparently been moved away from its coords, another had been off by 50 - 80 feet, and a third was temporarily flooded. I've since found all but one which was archived.

My first find had deluded me into thinking that caches would typically be that accessible. I know better now.

No bad luck lately, but today I thought it was going to happen. About a month ago I went to find a cache in a park near Delray Beach, here in south Florida. There was a homeless guy reclined in a chair right next to the tree where the cache was hidden. So I missed that one. Today over lunch I drove back down there (about a 35 minute drive), parked, put my 75 cents in the meter and walked up the winding trail through the dunes to the cache. There was that da&Eed homeless guy again !!

Ugh!! He was hanging around near the hiding place again, but fortunately this time he went for a walk onto the beach, at which time I grabbed the cache, signed the log, and quickly hid it again.

I wonder if it was the cache owner?

Are there homeless geocachers?

Is this off topic -- I guess this is a GOOD LUCK story, not a bad luck story.

Sorry about that -- HAPPY HOLIDAYS :D

What's your worst run of bad geocaching juju?

The worst run I had was 6 DNFs in a row over a 2 week period. 4 of those were labelled as 1/1s!

Looking through my list of logs I notice that my DNFs seem to come in groups. Long string of finds then suddenly a group of DNFs.

Plenty of DNFs while Benchmark hunting along RR tracks....really disappointing...

Mine run of bad luck also deals with benchmarks as opposed to geocaching.

I think I had three or four DNFs in a row with benchmarks. I had just decided that I wasn't really interested in finding them, since I couldn't anyway and wasn't even concentrating on them. I was taking my daughter somewhere, and we were stopped at a red light. My gaze drifted over the right side and I looked on the curb and saw two letters - BM. Hmmm, I said to myself, I wonder if that's a benchmark? I looked above the BM to the top of the curb and there were two round disks embedded in the top of the curb. Geez, I couldn't drive my daughter to her appointment fast enough so I could come back and investigate.

I came back about a week later after checking it out here and discovered this benchmark. Pure luck caused me to spy that one in the first place.

I've only found a couple others, but was able to document a destroyed benchmark as well. They're not my passion, but I might take them up again in the future because I understand the DNF part now. The first DNFs that I found have probably been removed due to new construction on curbs that had to be lowered because of the Federal Disability Act to make access from street to sidewalk for wheelchairs.

Well that would have to be today. On kind of a whim, after my morning meeting went much faster than I expected, I took a drive out to NJ. I live all the way out in Suffolk County Long Island NY. NJ is a good hour and a half. I had 5 caches lined up for NJ plus 3 lined up for Queens on my way home. Guess how many I grabbed? 2. Three DNF, count 'em: 1, 2, 3.

The other 3 in Queens I just didn't have time for. Thats about 150 mile for 2 caches. Nice. All was not lost though. I was able move a couple of travel Bugs, found a packet of Starbucks coffee in one of the caches, and then proceeded to get completely hammered at my holiday party. It was a good day. :D

My worst run of GeoLuck has to be from Nov. 4 to Dec 4. The weather turned cold, work got busy and I stopped caching. I did however compensate by reading the forums WAY to much. :D Fortunately we are back on task. :D

The worst single day? Bushwacking downhill for 100 yards through thick brush and thorns. To find a creek I had to wade through. On the other side of the creek I found mesquitos and a mud bog. Lost both shoes (didn't have my boots on that day) in the mud, which made the creek recrossing convenient, good thing the sun spots kept me crossing back and forth. Thats right, I am blaming the sunspots. Almost sent the cache owner a nasty little note....now I just avoid those caches. I hate bushwacking.

In my defense... another had been off by 50 - 80 feet...

Aw, come on - only 50 to 80 feet?

I've found two in the last week that were 80 and 100 ft off respectively.

I definitely have my bad caching moments, but try to limit the DNF's to only three in a row (or per day, but they usually occur in a row) I've got two unconsecutive days with 3 DNF's and I've pretty much figured out that if I'm doing bad enough to get that many in one day it's time to close up shop because something is clearly wrong. (Usually I'm freezing cold and wet... and have found that when I reach that point, it takes me at least one day of doing nothing but sleeping and vegging out to recover - maybe I'll lower the threshold to two DNF's and see if I recover faster :lol: )

I just counted up my DNF's. I'm at about 10% for DNF's with five still outstanding.

-=-

michelle

The closest cache to my place (0.25 miles) is my bad luck cache. I have over 75 finds, but have been to this one cache at least 20 times at various times of the day (including night). Other people have found it after an attempt or two, but for the life of me, I can't find it!

Wow, 20 times! My worst one so far was one where I had to make 5 visits. The cache was only a couple of miles from my house, but the coordinates were definitely off. It would amaze me how sometimes people would post that the coordinates were off but they found it, some of them "easily". That's a real ego killer to read logs like that when you've spent WAY too much time looking! I finally found it accidentally, sort of, by stepping on it / kicking it. <doh!> The real killer was the owner rated it a difficulty of 1. :lol:

:mad: I had a run of DNFs with one particular cache. Others seem to find it with ease. However, after three or four attempts I still didn't find it even though my GPS the hints put me within two feet of what I'm sure was the right location. Now I see that the cache has been archived as it really must be missing. The cache is in Central Park in New York City - "Imagine". I was able to find every other cache located in the park over the course of several business trips to the city. Maybe next year it will have been re-established and I'll my luck again.

Not exactly a DNF, but definitely a run of bad luck...

Drove 75 miles to get to the trailhead. Noticed that everything is blackened from a range fire. Got to the cache site. Found the box. Heard a hiss. Turned around and got hit by a skunk. Not a fun ride home--good thing I was caching solo that day. :mad:

-E

We too almost gave up caching on our first two days of outings. Turns out the first cache we tried to find came up missing a few days before we started to look for it ;) And on our second journey we didn't quite trust the GPS at first...and it led us away from where we thought the cache was supposed to be. Then when it finally said we were standing on it we couldnt find it. After double checking the cache log we found out the cache container was much much smaller than what we had originally thought, so when we went back finally found it (our first ever) and have been hooked ever since.

On a second note...one of our other "bad luck" experiences have all involved yellow jacket nests located near a couple of local caches :mad: