A Possible Ftf Item

bug and snake

This was triggered by something I saw in another thread. The question is pocket knives in caches. Knives are not mentioned in the list of no-no's in the guide to placing a first cache. However I see that there is a mention of knives in the general rules.

I was wondering if this is a hard and fast rule. I have a nice knife in a box, aimed at collectors I guess. (it is a John Dere themed knife and tin) Not a very valuable item but attractive none the less. I was hoping to use it as a FTF prize on an upcoming cache.

I am aware that by simply not mentioning it in the cache submission it would most likely get through but I don't want to play the game that way. (possibly on the naughty listing area mentioned on another thread but not here)

Can I get some sort of guidance from an approver please.....

I would like to know if there was any incident involved with the 'ban' on these items because I have found them in caches a few times but I was wondering if that is because they were placed before there was discussion of such items.

Its in the guidlines:

Cache Contents

Use your common sense in most cases. Explosives, fireworks, ammo, knives (including pocket knives and multi-tools), drugs, alcohol or other illicit material shouldn't be placed in a cache. As always respect the local laws. Geocaching is a family activity and cache contents should be suitable for all ages.

Yes there was incident involved with the the state parks in GA.

TG

Here'a a thought. Where some reservations exists about whether or not placing this item in the cache as a FTF award, how about setting up the cache so that the FTF must verify a specific condition that exists exclusively in the cache (e.g. the serial number on a dollar bill - which the FTF would of course take with him/her) which the FTF can email to you as verification of the find. Satisfied with the FTF claim, you could mail him the FTF award. Just a thought... maybe it'll spark some better ideas.