Geocaching As A Way To Integrate Tech Into Pe

Followers 2

:D

I'm very interested in knowing if anyone has seen this being done: using geocaching as a sport for PE classes. I am a former public school educator who is now working as a mentor for our teaching faculty in the effort to reach preservice teachers (those teachers who haven't taught yet.)

I'm new to the sport, but hooked. I'd like to place a cache outside of our building in order to do a study, but may just post something here.

What do you all think? I'm thinking of the rally idea to make it a race between waypoints, and prize cache at the end for the winning team.

:D Go for it. I am a middle school phy. ed. teacher and have done simple lessons on orienteering which the kids loved. I first gave them basic compass instruction and a little practice in the classroom. Then, we went to a small school owned woodlot in which 10 waypoints had been placed and bearings established from a central starting point. The groups of 3 students then were given a starting waypoint to find and the race was on. Each waypoint had a letter associated with it and the first team to decipher the puzzle ( Go Badgers! ) was the winner. a good source is Becoming an Expert with Map and Compass.Using the same woodlot, I placed a 6 stage multi cache ( Diamond in the Rough ) and had it approved on geocaching.com. Copies of the cache page were distributed and discussed. Again, the class was divided into teams and sent off in intervals to find the waypoints. Other activities were organized for the teams waiting to start. The task was not only to find the cache in the shortest amount of time, but also to pick up as much litter along the trails as they could. Again, a fun activity.

This takes quite a bit of set up time and organization. I do not think, it is an activity that can be sustained for a lengthy period of time as middle schoolers tend to have a short attention span unless the activities can be kept fresh. One alternative would be to have them hide their own caches. Good luck. Keep me posted on your progress.

i am a recent PE graduate from SUNY Cortland and one of the professors there was dabbling in GPS and how it can be used in the classroom. i actually tried to integrate some info about geocaching into one of my orienteering lessons when i was there. we were both on the same page so to speak. i am not too sure what your plans are but when i get a job, hopefully in an elementary school, i hope to have my 4th and 5th graders out there hunting for treasure. it is my understanding that students today are very tech oriented and giving them a gadget that helps them get away from the cpu and outside and moving is a great idea!!!

Followers 2