Cross Country Cache Adventure.

We have spent the last 3 weeks traveling, visiting family on Oklahoma and Texas. Grabbed a few caches along the way. Last night while driving from Dallas to Tulsa I got to thinking about a cross country cache adventure. basically:

How many days would it take to log a cache in each state? No doubt some areas you could hit atleast 6 States in a day. I started thinking 28 days but really how about 21? 14?

Has anyone done this?

My wife and I decided to test the idea during our vacation, summer 2003. What we found was that we could not discipline ourselves to log one cache in a state and them on to the next. There was always just one more cache that was positioned very close to the cache we had just completed. Based upon this experience, we estimate that if we remained true to a specified route, we would find ourselves stopping at caches all along that route until we reached the next state. Then, we'd fall back into the routine and fall victim to every cache along that section of highway until we reached the next state, etc. Seems to us that it would take about ninety days to get the job done (excluding Hawaii and Alaska) and we don't have that much vacation time. Not to mention the travel expenses.

How many days would it take to log a cache in each state? No doubt some areas you could hit atleast 6 States in a day. I started thinking 28 days but really how about 21? 14?

Has anyone done this?

JS,

Without doing further research, I'd hesitate to make a guess as to how long it might take. Although I think if one were to be serious about it, it should be a doable venture in less time than your lowest estimate of 14 days. I would guess somewhere between 10 and 12 days off the top of my head.

I've previously given some thought to doing this. Currently, my holdup has been lack of a reliable vehicle for such a thing, plus I'd need to find a partner or two willing to join me.

I'm on the verge of being re-employed, which should give me the resources to get a reliable vehicle, however employment often gets in the way of freetime, so I have a dilemma once again.

The idea is still floating around in my head, as it has been for a while, but it's a matter of things coming together. But I'd like to do it.

If someone wants to get serious about this, I'd be willing to put some time into researching a route and possible caches. I'm a half-way experienced marathon cacher already with two all-out multi-day caching trips under my belt.

Jamie

We left Bremerton, Washington on Labor day of this year in a small Roadtrek Camper Van. Found 10 the first day as far as Bearmouth Mt. My wife is a non-Geocacher so I tried not to take too long looking for a cache. On our way to the East Coast I found at least one in every state except West Virginia. Beautiful state but the caches just weren't convenient to find. Got to Nags Head and did the Wright Brothers Virtual and heard about the Hurricane. I had planned on a lot of caches down the NC and SC coast to Savanna and then back up to Memphis, TN.

We headed back West towards Knoxville. No caches were looked for until we got to AR as I had not planned for that route. Found caches in every state along I 40 to Gallup and headed north toward SLC and found caches in every state until we got back home. We traveled coast to coast and back in three weeks and I found just 61caches. The nice community of Olney, Illinois had more nice caches in a small area so we spent most of the day there. Would have spent more time and got more caches if the Hurricane hadn't come along. BTW we are not kids. We are both in the late seventys. On the trip I found two in WA, six in ID, one in MT, one in WY, three in SD, two in IA, six in MO, thirteen in IL, one in IN, three in KY, one in VA, one in NC, three in AK, four in OK, two in TX, four in NM, one in CO, four in UT and two in OR. Dick, W7WT

Edited by w7wt