Signature Items

Texplorer

Ok, back on topic.......Zinc, huh? Is that pretty durable? I've been thinking about rusty's comment on the durability of lead (see, I did look beyond the gloom and doom :mad: ), and need something more durable. Any comments?

Edit for punctuation.

From what I recall, the zinc is pretty similar to lead. It's fairly soft. I'm sure that we have a metalurgist around here somewhere that could shed a little more light on this.

I would think that you would create a 1 sided item, right? I guess with the right materials, you could probably pour a fairly decent 2 sided coin. Don't know what other types of metal could be used without having some sort of blast furnace.

F_M

Trudger here! I've been caching since about May or June of this year, but this is I think my first post on the forums. Anyway, I wanted to comment on the signature items. In my area, there's a cacher who uses little red plastic firemen as his sig. I myself have "Sculpey" brand clay, and I make little feet with a "T" on them as my sig. I don't leave them often, but I've placed a few and I like them a lot. Clay is a good medium for a sig item for several reasons IMHO. You can make whatever you want. It's handmade, which to me makes it more personal, and it's a very cheap option. These "Trudger Feet" as they're known, are all unique and I have a lot of fun making them. I have been considering having some Geocoins made, but the expense there is rather high compared to what I'm doing. Good luck on coming up with your sig!

Trudger

Edited by Trudger

I just took a couple of pictures. One is of some Sculpey clay coins that I made yesterday, with an antique bronze finish, and the other is my real signature item, the "Trudger Foot" Just thought I'd come back and show everyone.

dracocoin.jpg

trudgerfoot.jpg

What do you think?

~~Trudge

Edited by Trudger

Geogems? sounds cool. Can we see one? I'd love to get a picture...even trade for one maybe. :o I wonder if it'd be possible to send an item to someone as a TB. Like, if I made a travel bug out of one of my feet, and said, I want it to get to this cache for so and so to pick up...can you trade sig items that way? Has it ever been done? Am I off topic or anything?

~~Trudge

Geogems? sounds cool. Can we see one? I'd love to get a picture...even trade for one maybe. :o I wonder if it'd be possible to send an item to someone as a TB. Like, if I made a travel bug out of one of my feet, and said, I want it to get to this cache for so and so to pick up...can you trade sig items that way? Has it ever been done? Am I off topic or anything?

~~Trudge

Trudge, I like how you think. Sending a sig item via travel bug is an excellent idea. Wish I could send you a picture, but Santa did not leave the digital camera like I thought he would. However, I should be getting a camera soon. Try to click Dragonheart profile to send him an e-mail.

FIRST ever post on here so bare with me being the retard that I am AND a horrible speller! :o

So I too am trying to come up with a signature item (thinking of dog tags, wooden nickles or coins). Was wondering also if anyone leaves anything "special" in a milestone cache? If so what?

Namaste

~M~

Quoteless in Cleveland

Well, the team and I have decided that the new signiature item, (whatever they are) will debut at the 10th find, with us dropping at least five there. And then our first hide will be literally littered with them...

Also, we were wondering if anyone knew of a cheap place to get the plastic/rubbery keychain thingies made up for relatively cheap...

Edited by TeamK-9
FIRST ever post on here so bare with me being the retard that I am AND a horrible speller!    :P 

So I too am trying to come up with a signature item (thinking of dog tags, wooden nickles or coins).  Was wondering also if anyone leaves anything "special" in a milestone cache?  If so what?

Namaste

~M~

Quoteless in Cleveland

Welcome ellehciM! I have seen coins, dog tags, business cards, geogems (very cool) and plastic reptiles used as sig items. I am sure there are many more just waiting to be found. As for leaving something for each milestone, the sky is the limit. My first milestone will be 100 finds of which I'm about 15 away. Not sure what I'll leave ... :o

here are some of my polymer clay coins, shown on Fisurs site.

clay coins

had to re-do the link

Hey I found a couple of these this weekend in this cache. My daughter looked at me funny when I said "I get those! I see that guy in the forums all the time."

We just put out our first geotoken into the wild. I got the idea from your coins and was worried about plagiarizing the idea. Turns out they are very, very different.

f001.jpgb001.jpg

They are about 2" in diameter and are made out of ceramic.

Here's the signature item I leave in caches:

cojones2.jpg

It's an actual ancient Roman coin (I've got coins ranging from 300 AD up to the middle 1600s or so).

They aren't the cheapest items to leave in the caches, but I'm not one of the types that visits 5 caches in a weekend, so it hasn't been too bad (the enjoyment I get out of knowing that they're very popular offsets the cost for me).

I haven't been caching in a long time, maybe I'll go spread some more joy this weekend. <_<

Edited by Indiana Cojones

Sculpey is wonderful stuff! My son and I make little eTrex Yellow beads, and then weave them into zipper pulls for our sig item. There is a fellow (VictoryMike) near us who makes chainmail keychains. Those are a hot trade item, and people drive for miles to pick one up.

Being a machinist, I wanted to make my own geocoins. With a CAD system at home and CNC machinery at my disposal the project was fairly easy. Each coin is individually machined and serialized. Scrap metal is abundant so my cost at $.80 each is very reasonable. However, with SHOP rate at $60. per hour the value is closer to $23.00 each.

My biggest problem is which material should I use? I made the first 4 coins out of pure copper. They were very pretty, but hard to machine. My last batch was out of brass, also nice, but maybe I'll try titanium next.

What do you think?

As far as being geocoins, I gave up on that idea because I wouldn't know how to track them. So they are just my signature item.

134656_300.jpg

134656_400.jpg

Being a machinist, I wanted to make my own geocoins. With a CAD system at home and CNC machinery at my disposal the project was fairly easy. Each coin is individually machined and serialized. Scrap metal is abundant so my cost at $.80 each is very reasonable. However, with SHOP rate at $60. per hour the value is closer to $23.00 each.

My biggest problem is which material should I use? I made the first 4 coins out of pure copper. They were very pretty, but hard to machine. My last batch was out of brass, also nice, but maybe I'll try titanium next.

What do you think?

As far as being geocoins, I gave up on that idea because I wouldn't know how to track them. So they are just my signature item.

134656_300.jpg

134656_400.jpg

I like the brass ones. Come up towards Oly. and leave some please. Maybe I'll even get down your way to try fore some of these, they look cool.

What do you think?

134656_300.jpg

134656_400.jpg

Those are really nice! I never thought about it but I did some programming for a spindle liner manufacturer here a while back and got to be pretty good friends with one of the cad guys. Going to have to give him a call. ;)

I changed my nick after deciding what to use as my signature item. My first one that goes out in the wild is a travel bug and will be placed in my first cache sometime this week. A sneak preview is at DoubleBlank. The picture is naff as the item is fairly small, smaller than a travel bug dogtag, so is hard to photograph with the macro mode.

Still, I think its a unique item (I hope)

What do you think?

I think Gold would be very nice. A good soft metal, and easy to work.

;)

You guys are looking for trouble ... TPTB have already said, (close to a thousand times) no knives. Also no hand grenades. I was a FTF not long ago in Pittsburg KS. The cache was rated 4 or 5 for difficulty and it was a very clever hide. However, when I finally found the ammo box, I opened it up and the first thing I saw was a hand grenade. I dam near wet myself thinking it was some kind of booby-trap. It was the real McCoy with a pin installed and everything. I didn't know if it was real or fake (it was heavy) so I left it for the STF. So, be careful what you put in caches. Not everyone has happy thoughts when they see knives and hand grenades. ;)

<Has mental image of clearpath turning his "fruit of the looms" into a fudge-factory>

That FTF would scare the heck out of me too! When I put together my first cache I will make a mental note to leave out the knives, grenades and nuclear warheads!

Very nice. Got me thinking, you may want to check out polymer clay. It is an oven cured product, very durable. I have picked up a couple of sig items, small sculptures, made out of this stuff. I'm not artsy so hadn't considered it for myself until I read your post.

Speaking of Polymer clay, what would you guys think about fiding some handmade clay magnets or other trinkets? I make tons of stuff from Polyclay and was thinking of passing some of it around the few caches in my area.

Very nice. Got me thinking, you may want to check out polymer clay. It  is an oven cured product, very durable. I have picked up a couple of sig items, small sculptures, made out of this stuff.  I'm not artsy so hadn't considered it for myself until I read your post.

Speaking of Polymer clay, what would you guys think about fiding some handmade clay magnets or other trinkets? I make tons of stuff from Polyclay and was thinking of passing some of it around the few caches in my area.

That would be great. So far, I've found several sig items in caches. I ALWAYS trade for these. A magnet sig item can be proudly displayed on my fridge, so go for it.

here are some of my polymer clay coins, shown on Fisurs site.

clay coins

had to re-do the link

Hey I found a couple of these this weekend in this cache. My daughter looked at me funny when I said "I get those! I see that guy in the forums all the time."

We just put out our first geotoken into the wild. I got the idea from your coins and was worried about plagiarizing the idea. Turns out they are very, very different.

f001.jpgb001.jpg

They are about 2" in diameter and are made out of ceramic.

Was lucky enough to snag 4agers signature geotoken #3 yesterday at GCDC4D. Thanks BUNCHES! Looks great & wondering where you have the time & patience to make 'em? :(

Namaste

~M~

Thanks to Navdog, I have a brand new signature wooden nickel to give out. He cam up with a cool design for me. After we got it sized right, I went to Michaels craft store and got some 1 and a half inch wooden discs and went to office max and bought some 8x11 clear label sheets. Even though I only have a ink jet printer, they turned out pretty neat. I would include a pic, but not sure how to do it. :(

Was lucky enough to snag 4agers signature geotoken #3 yesterday at GCDC4D.  Thanks BUNCHES!  Looks great & wondering where you have the time & patience to make 'em?  :rolleyes:

Notice we have only released 4 :) We have only been putting them in caches we really enjoyed or have been FTF on. I'm starting to list them all on this page.

I'm glad you like them... makes me want to go sit in the den a paint a few more :)

Here's the signature item I leave in caches:

cojones2.jpg

It's an actual ancient Roman coin (I've got coins ranging from 300 AD up to the middle 1600s or so).

They aren't the cheapest items to leave in the caches, but I'm not one of the types that visits 5 caches in a weekend, so it hasn't been too bad (the enjoyment I get out of knowing that they're very popular offsets the cost for me).

I haven't been caching in a long time, maybe I'll go spread some more joy this weekend. :)

VERY nice!

Here is my new coin. I know its a bad pic. digi cam is on the fritz so I had to use the webcam. The first pic is front of the coin, and the second pic is the back of the coin. I will try and put a better pic up when I get the camera going again. Thanks to Navdog for designing it!!

64070_1500.jpg

64070_1400.jpg