Signature Items

Texplorer

Hey, it's been like, forever since I've posted here. I have what I think is a pretty unique sig item. I'm a 3-D photographer, and awhile back I did a commision job for the local tourism people. It was a couple thousand sets of 3-D postcards. I sourced all the printing, etc., so I got to keep the printer overruns for myself. I'm starting to run out, but I leave a set of the postcards and a pair of 3-D glasses in every cache I find. So far, they seem to be going over well; they're often picked up by the very next finder after me. You can see what the images look like here.

I have been placing Knoppix Linux CD's (the Linux OS will run from the cd so there is nothing to install on your pc) as my signature item--the CD's are placed in a DVD case for protection from the elements (the DVD cover is shown below). Yes, I am an IT professional.

15259c47-1510-48ea-bbc2-c5ba8834ab08.jpg

The jury is still out when it comes to deciding how the geocaching public are reacting to my signature item.

Ciao

RooBoy

I've finally found my sig item. Stealing shamelessly from SBPhisy I decieded to use shrinky dinks. Made a keychain that is a red clover.. much like my avitar, and attached them to the old barrel skeleton keys. My bf nic is undertaker so it was a nice fit for us. They should be ready to go in a few days.

My signature item is a cut gemstone.

Some of them are lab-created (several different colors of sapphires, and rubies) but quite a few are mined (topaz, labradorite, chalcedony, and a few others).

They look much more expensive than they actually are, and yet any one of them could be turned into a beautiful pendant or ring if someone was so inclined. They're also very small, and fit into all but the tiniest of caches.

As requested by SBPhisy (to whom I owe the inspiration)

1bcb821a-e1c4-4e28-8753-042b5e1a819e.jpg

I made 3 different sized because they will be attatched to a keyring w/ an old barrel or skeleton type key. Since the keys will be different sized I figured the clovers should be in some kind of scale

Im still freaking waiting on the keys, though I've been promised they'd be here in the next 3 days. Probably not in time for our state meeting though :lol:

960ba423-818f-4dd7-a245-324187e1c461.jpg

This is a sample of some of my sig items, Collectible, Tradeable, WRITE SHOP ROBERT gamecards. Basically, you collect and trade them to match up a qualified set then you win a prize. there are more details in my profile.

that's pretty slick! thanks for sharing that, and welcome to the forums. :lol:

those look pretty cool. how did you make them?

I purchased a round billet of bronze,& sliced it with a sawzall. I then file the face smooth & then grind out the skull with a Dremel tool. After that,I peen w/ a hammer.Stamp my name on the front & E- mail on back.Then I polish them on a buffing wheel.Each takes about an hour to make,& costs about $1 or so. B)

Edited by habercacher

WRITE SHOP ROBERT - What a great idea! I read the info on your profile and you are to be applauded for the thought and effort you have put into the 'game'. So, I have a few questions: What kind of prizes are you awarding? How do you plan on getting it to the winner? Mailing it, in person, other? How many winners do you anticipate?

Again, cool idea! I would like to hear more about it!

I purchased a round billet of bronze,& sliced it with a sawzall. I then file the face smooth & then grind out the skull with a Dremel tool. After that,I peen w/ a hammer.Stamp my name on the front & E- mail on back.Then I polish them on a buffing wheel.Each takes about an hour to make,& costs about $1 or so. B)

Very nice work, Habercacher. But what is a billet of bronze? I looked it up on line and couldn't tell much. Its it like a solid metal tube? Nice work, very creative! Wish we had a few in caches in our area!

now thats impressive. i wish i had that kinda skill. keep up the good work

You make.....them.....by....hand! :lol:B)

Casting I could see (and thought that's what I was seeing), but hand-working them! Wow.

2b648e08-f260-4307-a466-04dcb666f6e8.jpg

I purchased a round billet of bronze,& sliced it with a sawzall. I then file the face smooth & then grind out the skull with a Dremel tool. After that,I peen w/ a hammer.Stamp my name on the front & E- mail on back.Then I polish them on a buffing wheel.Each takes about an hour to make,& costs about $1 or so.

WOW!!!! that may be the coolest, most dedicated sig item ever!! that is a lot of work and i'm sure its appreciated by those who find them! I think those may even be worth a trip to texas for the chance to look for one! If I let you know when I'm coming to texas, will you hide a couple of new caches that i'll have a chance to find?

I read the info on your profile and you are to be applauded for the thought and effort you have put into the 'game'. So, I have a few questions: What kind of prizes are you awarding? How do you plan on getting it to the winner? Mailing it, in person, other? How many winners do you anticipate?

Gizmo & Brazin,

Thank you for saying such nice things, but my thoughtfullness and creativity have been far surpassed by Habercacher's hand made bronze tokens! Those are truly a great work of art! And each one is one of a kind. As a person who has occasionally toiled with such tools, I can say it takes a lot of talent and skill to get exactly what you want, congrats to Habercacher!

As far as the questions about the Gamecards, I am a photographer on the side and with my photos I make notecards and notebooks, so the prize will be a package of my notecards(about $10-$15 retail value)except that the cards I use for the prize will be made with photos I took while geocaching, rather than my stock photos. The winners will have to mail me the winning matched set, and I will mail them the prize or make some other delivery arrangements if they want.

I'm not sure how many winners to expect, I can only hope they don't bankrupt me! The prize costs about $3 to produce, so I should be OK. Also there are well over a hundred different Gamecards, with 8-12 of each to be released. The first 4 "Series'" of Gamecards have been pushed out in a hurry(with the help of my brother), with 3-6 into each cache, but later will be released more slowly.

I purchased a round billet of bronze,& sliced it with a sawzall. I then file the face smooth & then grind out the skull with a Dremel tool. After that,I peen w/ a hammer.Stamp my name on the front & E- mail on back.Then I polish them on a buffing wheel.Each takes about an hour to make,& costs about $1 or so. :blink:

Very nice work, Habercacher. But what is a billet of bronze? I looked it up on line and couldn't tell much. Its it like a solid metal tube? Nice work, very creative! Wish we had a few in caches in our area!

You are correct. It`s basically a round rod of bronze.Thanx to everyone for the kind words!And if any of you do make it out to Texas, I will definately hide some for you! :huh:

Edited by habercacher

Hey, I'm in Texas, coming up to Austin anytime soon? :blink:

Those are just WAY too cool. I won't even mention what happened the last time I tried to use a dremel for anything creative...lets just say it didn't turn out anything like that!! :huh:

I guess I need to make a trip to San Antonio soon. Great job!!! :o

Hey, I'm in Texas, coming up to Austin anytime soon? :o

Those are just WAY too cool. I won't even mention what happened the last time I tried to use a dremel for anything creative...lets just say it didn't turn out anything like that!! :huh:

I guess I need to make a trip to San Antonio soon. Great job!!! :blink:

I`m sure I`ll head up to Austin again sometime soon,though not sure when.I am going to start working my way over that direction to cache. BTW, the SA Geocachers are having an event at Canyon Lake on the 26th.Sorry,I don`t remember the waypoint,but if you check out event caches coming up, you`ll see it. I`ll be hiding several of my sig tokens there. If you can make it, post a note on the site. Some of the Austin folks are attending I believe. Hope to see ya there! :D

ok after lookin at this thread i had to come up with my own. sorry i don't have a pic i don't know how to get one on here. basically what i did is cut a 1.5 inch tree branch into coings, about 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick and wood burnt a monkey face on the front and the back is my name. looks pretty good. takes about 10 mins to make and costs pennys as the wood is no problem to find as i am an arborist.