Most Finds For One Cache?

I would like to take the opportunity in this, my 1600th post, to rant just a bit about people who do not log their "not-founds."

I have reviewed the Yellow Jeep locationless cache and it appears that people are very shy about admitting that they cannot find the cache. It's been stressed over and over in the forums that logging a DNF is not an embarrassment. It is part of the history of the cache, and of the geocacher. A not-found log imparts useful information to the cache owner and to other seekers.

So let's start seeing more logs like this:

:DDecember 15th by The Leprechauns (545 Found)

Drove to work this morning and searched all along my route for the elusive Yellow Jeep. Didn't see one. Here is a picture of what I saw.

traffic-jam.jpg

:DDecember 14th by The Leprechauns (545 Found)

Today I began my quest for the Yellow Jeep. I've been putting off this cache for a long time, but finally decided I was up to the challenge. Alas, this cache beat me, but good! I came really close, and found what I thought to be the cache, but in reading the description again I guess I was wrong. See photo attached. Oh well, I'll try again soon! Thanks for the fun hunt, anyways.

02FKB311186660B.jpeg

Edited by The Leprechauns

Stunod, did you stop and think for even a moment that a yellow frownie has special significance in the context of this discussion? It was dripping with so much irony that there was no room for sprinkles on top.

EDIT: Congrats on reaching 1500 forum posts. This topic is so chock full of milestones that I think I need a tissue.

Finally found my "Yellow Jeep" in a parking lot in Bremerton, Washington on October 19, 2003. Saw a lot of yellow jeeps before that but they were always going the other way. If I had put a DNF for all the times I couldn't get a picture of it with my GPS it would taken up several pages. I am 78 and I really enjoyed looking for the Yellow Jeep and finally finding one. When you get tired of fighting wet underbrush it was a nice diversion. Dick, W7WT

Now see, you get a few finds and you get sloppy.  You really did get one!

No, that's a Yellow HumVee, not a Yellow Jeep. So no, I didn't "really get one." Believe me, I know a Hummer when I get one.

But thanks for trying.

I have a few questions,

1: When did the Leprechauns start hanging out in Criminals Camp?

2: Was there a tent in this camp?

Seriously, that comment is more than a bit over the top and I suggest you rein it in please.

Yellow Jeep Fever was created in celebration of Team "Wyle E" passing the 300 caches found mark, We dedicate this cache to Larry. May the next 1000 be just as fun and rewarding. ****As of 11/03/03 Wyle E has 1036 caches 963 in AZ!!!*****

I remember when I first started in the forums Team Wyle E was always trying to make things yellow. Anytime someone mentioned looking at or buying a new vehicle they would always chime in with the comments "Make sure its yellow" I miss those posts.

Anyway Lets try to get this thread back on topic.

Edited by CO Admin

:D  December 14th by The Leprechauns  (545 Found)

Today I began my quest for the Yellow Jeep.  I've been putting off this cache for a long time, but finally decided I was up to the challenge.  Alas, this cache beat me, but good!  I came really close, and found what I thought to be the cache, but in reading the description again I guess I was wrong.  See photo attached. Oh well, I'll try again soon!  Thanks for the fun hunt, anyways.

02FKB311186660B.jpeg

Who says you couldn't log this one? :D

14843_1900.jpg

Edited by Navdog

yellow is hard to read

I am SUCH a Jeep enthusiast ( :D more than I am a geocache enthusiast, even) - I cannot believe I have not logged this cache yet. I think I was being anti-locationless at the time I first heard about this cache. I think I'm over that phase now.

Thanks for bringing it to my attention again. And Lep, I will, indeed, log my DNFs for this cache, just for you.

Seriously, that comment is more than a bit over the top and I suggest you rein it in please.

[...]

Anyway Lets try to get this thread back on topic.

Yeesh. Where are all the nice moderators today?

OK, I'll play by the rules.

To make locationless caches a bit more interesting, I enjoy logging them (1) only if I come across the object totally by accident, while on my way to another cache, and/or (2) when I can log multiple locationless caches in the same photgraph. I logged the fine old Yellow Jeep Fever cache as a locationless three-fer: I snapped a photo of a yellow jeep next to a statue of a bronze baseballer at one end of a suspension bridge. I also spotted a yellow jeep as it pulled up at a traffic light next to the historical marker for the site where the jeep was invented, just across the street from a Mail Pouch tobacco sign. Locationless nirvanah, but alas, I was not quick enough with the camera.

EDIT: Here's my three-fer photo from my log on the Yellow Jeep Fever Cache:

627476_200.jpg

To make locationless caches a bit more interesting, I enjoy logging them (1) only if I come across the object totally by accident, while on my way to another cache, and/or (2) when I can log multiple locationless caches in the same photograph.  I logged the fine old Yellow Jeep Fever cache as a locationless three-fer:  I snapped a photo of a yellow jeep next to a statue of a bronze baseballer at one end of a suspension bridge.  I also spotted a yellow jeep as it pulled up at a traffic light next to the historical marker for the site where the jeep was invented, just across the street from a Mail Pouch tobacco sign.  Locationless nirvanah, but alas, I was not quick enough with the camera.

I'm surprised nobody ever made a locationless that requires you to show several existing locationless caches in the same picture.

I just became 988 for Yellow Jeep Fever. At work yesterday, I noticed the jeep sitting in the parking lot across the street. Since there were two people sitting in it I felt obliged to ask permission to photograph their vehicle. Of course, that led to a quick (?) explanation of geocaching.

As I walked away, I glanced over my shoulder and noticed that the two nice ladies in the jeep apparently thought something was pretty amusing.

I wonder what they thought was so funny? :D

119047_14700.jpg:D

I had taken 3 pictures of Yellow Jeeps but i always forgot to log it. When I did remember I had deleted the coords and/or the picture every time. I finally logged it about a month ago. I also finally bought a Jeep I ebay, but it's red. Maybe I'll have Navdog come and paint it for me.

Believe me, I know a Hummer when I get one.

Somebody's in rare form today. Either that or J5 has kidnapped The Leprechauns and is posting under their account. I wonder what the ransome is?

To keep the kids (a little) quieter while on the road I explained the concept behind locationless caches and printed up a list of them that I thought we might stumble across. The kids now are on the lookout for all sorts of weird and wonderful things, most especially the elusive Yellow Jeep.

Last week my 6 year old son was ecstatic as the car pulled into the WallyWorld parking lot for there it was--a Yellow Jeep! He was screaming his head off about the Yellow Jeep. But unfortunately, we were not able to log the cache.

The problem? His mother is driving the car. Is she anti-caching? No. Well? The GPSr and digital camera were both in St Louis with me.

My son was bummed, and told me so on the phone later that day. I felt like such a cad! (Of course I had just completed a 27-find day so I didn't feel that bad!)

We will get it eventually!

Come to Houston! Yellow jeeps are the fleas that infest the armpit of the universe. I looked for months and NUTHIN! Then one day there is one in the parking lot at work. THEN TWO! Now it's a rare day when I DON'T notice a yellow jeep. I can't stop noticing them. It's like that piece of popcorn that even dental floss can't remove AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!

Sn :D:D gans

Here's my three-fer photo...

3 in 1! That's cool! (In a weird sort of way... :D)

That's going to be tough to beat. I got a two-fer once, but three! Amazing. :D

I enjoyed the hunt for the Yellow Jeep too. I have several stories related to it. I was out caching with a friend (Bisanabi) once, following him in my car on our way to a park. A yellow jeep came by from the other direction, and turned off onto a side road as we went by. Niether of us had logged that one yet. He slowed down, and I just knew he was thinking of following it to get a picture, but he changed his mind. I almost turned anyway hehe.. we were both cracking up...

I finally got a picture after a REALLY bad day caching. I has stayed up late the night before in order to solve a puzzle cache. I got the solution and headed out very early the next morning to try and get an FTF. Bis and I were the first ones at the sight. We spent about 3 hours hiking in rough terrain, and another 3 hours looking (it was a really good site for hiding stuff), and couldn't find it. :D On the long road back home, we stopped at a diner -- so I got that one (Diners), and there as a Yellow Jeep in the parking lot. Made me feel a little better hehe.

Edited by BeachBuddies

993! It's going to break a thousand before Christmas I'd say. How bout something special for the 1,000th? Is there anyone reading this thread who hasn't found a yellow jeep yet?

Since all comments in the thread have been about yellow jeeps and none about any other cache with a lot of finds, can we correctly assume YJF is the leader?

Around here, 100 finds for a cache is a lot.

The locationless cache "Yellow Jeep Fever" is approaching 1,000 finds (987 as of Dec. 15 2003). Are there any non-locationless caches that are close or over this? What regular or multi has the most finds? Any old caches in the Pacific NW or New England, So Cal perhaps?

We apologize if this is MARKWELL fodder/topic churn.

I have a yellow jeep photo, with my GPS in the picture, in my digital camera. As soon as I get the software loaded on my new PC, I'll log the find -- how exciting !

Right up there with flag pole, band shell, and mom and pop hotel. I almost had gargoyle, but it did not count because they were on the side of the building, not on the top and were not functional gargoyles !

Does anyone think GC.com should have a little gargoyle icon included along with the frogs and smilies?

How about a little yellow jeep icon?

They would be more GC related than frogs, because they both are locationless caches.

Who says you couldn't log this one? :D

14843_1900.jpg

Oooh. You're good. I found out about the Yellow Jeep Fever back in August. Took my son up into the mountains that month to use his new 16 inch telescope and saw two yellow jeeps that day driving the wrong way, so I was never able to get a photo of either one.

I got my yellow jeep about two months ago and have since been fortunate enough to encounter another one since then. They're out there. :D

Ok kids, it's just about time! 997 and ticking. We have invited TeamCBX2 to participate in our little thread here, for the happy occaision.

<DISCLAIMER>We take this opportunity to remind everyone that we have nothing to do with the cache, this started cause astrojr1 was curious about the most popular caches.</DISCLAIMER>

Who will be the lucky cacher?

Thanks!

Logged Visits (1000 total. Visit the Gallery)

Cache find counts are based on the last time the page generated.

December 18 by happy1 (1 found)

N 34° 00.096 W 117° 22.547

Wow did I ever hit the jackpot. Not only did I find a yellow jeep, but a red and black one to boot. So it must be said, birds of a feather flock, (er, park) together. I actually know the owner of this yellow jeep. A very hooked cacher. So much so that the license plate reads UNEAK1. That might be going a little too far.

Happy1

[view this log on a separate page]Me with the gps

could this be that famous cacher from Riverside CA

:mad: Team CBx2 here, Thank you to all the 1002 teams that have found yellow jeeps. Congrates to Happy1 for being the 1000 find.

We are going to celebrate with the famous Wyle E soon to mark this great land mark in Jeep history.

To all those still unaware, watch your backs, there are yellow jeeps every where, they just don't stay still long enough to always get their picture.

Thanks again,

Cody & Cheryl

Sadly the news is out that the Yellow Jeep cache is now archived. Too many things about it are messing up the system. Just heard the news in chat. I cried. hydee has called for a moment of silence. Bow your heads.

Arrrrrgggghh!!!!

And I just today FINALLY got a picture of one with my GPS in view :D

I know locationless caches are not being approved, but any chance of simply duplicating the original. It's become a legend and deserves to live.

Sadly the news is out that the Yellow Jeep cache is now archived. Too many things about it are messing up the system. Just heard the news in chat. I cried. hydee has called for a moment of silence. Bow your heads.

Wow. I'm not really into locationless caching, but the yellow jeep was so classic. It was the only one I logged. Sorry to see it go. :D