Gps And Airplanes?

SBPhishy

I'm taking a flight to Seattle around Christmas and i was curious if GPSr use was allowed on commercial flights? I thoght i always remembered the flight attendents saying that you can't use devices that send or recieve waves of anykind but im not sure. I'd love to see how it worked on a plane, if it did at all, but i would hate to be the cause of a crash! Anyways, appreciate the reponses. :D

I fly on Southwest airlines and they have no problems with a GPSR. As with other electronic equipment, you are not allowed to use it till you reach 10000 feet and you must turn it off about ten minutes before landing. Cell phones are not allowed to be used after takeoff. I'm sure other airlines have different policies. The best way to find out is to ask or visit their Web site and read their policies.

How good would the reception be in an airplane? even if you had a window seat.

My MeriPlat grabbed every sat that was in the sky on the side of the plane I was seated on (if I held it to the window). I think the most I ever got was 6.

Edited by Stunod

I understand FAA are in the process of reviewing the use of "electronic devices" on aircraft. These are the normal run of laptops, PDA's, mobile phones etc and if these devices are allowed in the future then there should also be no obvious reason why a GPS receiver wouldn't be allowed based on pure technical, freq and interference issues.

Cheers, Kerry.

I fly Delta most of the time and I've never been asked to turn it off. It's kind of entertaining to see that your going 550 mph + and knowing what city state you're NOW flying over. I have an Etrex Vista and always had to have next to the window,otherwise I'd lose the signal.

Edited by rc51rider

I've taken GPS whenever I've flown. I was always one to look out the window & say Gee! I wonder what that river or town is. Now I can know. Interestingly, you cant actually see whats directly below you for a couple of horizontal miles at 35,000 feet so you've still got to guess somewhat. I usually can't get good recption unless its right next to the window. Usually solve that by getting a pillow or blanket & put it on the arm rest next to the window & I don't have to hold it. When the plane turns you may lose signal until you find another satellite.

Was once asked by stewardess what I had. Explained it was a GPS & she seemed satisfied. I generally keep it low profile though.

FAR part 121 which is the rules for airliners prohibit all electronic devices except megaphones and electric shavers.

this prohibition is then up to the captain, usually after the seatbelt sognal goes off it is ok.

i use my handheald gps every time i fly.

the old hunting gps would shut it's self off at 100 mph!

of cource if you ask, the attendants know nothing, and will tell you not to use them.

if you do interfere with navigation, which is the only federal stipulation, the captain WILL know and will investigate.

modern and L1 gps units will not interfere. (ie. what you all have)

ooops ... slap legs for me then, i didn't know it was against the rules on some carriers ... got some nice stats  -

max speed 605.5mph  :rolleyes:

elevation 39 552ft

a bit strange though when the inflight map is saying 570mph and 36 000ft ??

i assumed the inflight map used gps itself and would have been more accurate?

The airplane is probably displaying Knots MPH and your GPS is probably showing Statute MPH. Knots are slower because a nautical miles is slightly longer than a statute mile. Your altitude differs because once an airplane gets above 18,000 feet they switch to what is called Flight Levels. They reset the altimeter to 29.92 inches of mercury. Since the all airplanes up here are using the same altimeter setting they can still maintain altitude separation but this does not show altitude above sea level. Since there are no mountains in the US above 18,000 feet this does not cause any problems. Another interesting note. Above Flight level 290 (approx. 29,000 feet) speeds change to Mach number for air traffic control purposes. An airplane will report or be assigned a speed of mach .76 for example.

Hope this helps.

Your friendly air traffic control geocacher.

ooops ... slap legs for me then, i didn't know it was against the rules on some carriers ... got some nice stats  -

max speed 605.5mph  :rolleyes:

elevation 39 552ft

a bit strange though when the inflight map is saying 570mph and 36 000ft ??

i assumed the inflight map used gps itself and would have been more accurate?

The airplane is probably displaying Knots MPH and your GPS is probably showing Statute MPH. Knots are slower because a nautical miles is slightly longer than a statute mile. Your altitude differs because once an airplane gets above 18,000 feet they switch to what is called Flight Levels. They reset the altimeter to 29.92 inches of mercury. Since the all airplanes up here are using the same altimeter setting they can still maintain altitude separation but this does not show altitude above sea level. Since there are no mountains in the US above 18,000 feet this does not cause any problems. Another interesting note. Above Flight level 290 (approx. 29,000 feet) speeds change to Mach number for air traffic control purposes. An airplane will report or be assigned a speed of mach .76 for example.

Hope this helps.

Your friendly air traffic control geocacher.

Now that is an informative post! Thanks! :rolleyes:

United used to allow GPSR's and when I last flew with them, I noticed that their

inflight magazine now states that it prohibits them. A change from the old days.

Delta does allow them.

I never thought to ask the pilot. I rarely see them while boarding, so I'll

just go by what the magazine says. If nothing is stated, I pull it out.

Hal

There is no such thing as "knots mph". It's either knots (nautical miles per hour) or mph. Can't be both.

The cabin display is likely airspeed. Airspeed and groundspeed will vary, depending on the wind, and at 30,000' you can get a lot of wind. Few airliners have GPS installed, so the display almost certainly isn't from the GPS. As for the altitude, the altimeter is set to 29.92, but > 3500' is a lot of difference. The altimeter can't be changed that much, regardless of the true pressure. Altitude is by far the least precise part of GPS, and it can be off by a lot. Still, 3500' difference is unreasonable.

Edited by NightPilot
<snip>

Since there are no mountains in the US above 18,000 feet this does not cause any problems. 

<snip>

Sadly, you have been misinformed. The highest peak in North America is Mt. McKinley at 20,320'. Unless the Canadians have invaded Alaska and claimed this mountain for themselves, I think it's still in the United States.

Sorry, I forgot about that tall mountain in Alaska.

Way back when I was dumb (my recovery from that condition is still being questioned) I hopped an Alaska flight from Sacramento to Seattle and had the gps turned on from take off through 1/2 the flight when an attendant told me the FCC had just ruled gpsr can't be used on airplanes. I believe that restriction was subsequently lifted and now it is up to Airlines as every one here suggests.

The plane took off to the south and immediately banked sharply to head north, my favorite part of the flight. Watching the altitude, speed and direction all changing simultaneously was a real treat. Now, of course, we know that all electronic devices must be off until the ok'd altitude but that one time was fun.

Basically what it comes down to, regardless of each individual airlines policy is that it is up to the Captain. It's his plane. Ask when you board.

Jamie

If you ride on MY airplane, not only will you get permission, but I can also get you the coords for the destination airport (and sometimes the specific arrival gate) from my charts.

Hey, I just had an evil thought: Next time someone asks to use their GPS, maybe I could include in my next PA announcement "... and if anyone has any questions about our route of flight, time to destination, or would like to know the name of the lake or town they're looking at, just ask the guy in 17A." :)

Just took a family trip from LAX to Dallas on Delta Airlines. The Delta website said they were allowed so I went with that. I have Garmin V with a remote antenna so we could pass the unit around our 6 seats, 3 behind 3. The antenna just simply set on the corner of the tray nearest the window. Got good reception quickly and watching the maps go by amused all in our group.

The flight out at about 1/4 the way out the flight attendant asked if it was a GPS and then if the antenna was attached to window. When I said yes and no (to window attachment) she smiled and went on her way. Return trip no comment.

In two weeks I will see how it goes on Continental Airlines.

Just returned from a trip to Ohio on Continental and used the GPS there and back with out any problems. I did have a flight attendant on the return trip come over to see me to find out where we were. She said a kid a few rows back was wondering and she thought it easier to ask me than the pilot.

Again as with my previous flight with Delta I had to use the remote antenna to maintain a signal for the entire flight. This time I squeezed a pillow between the arm-rest and the cabin wall and set the antenna on it next to the window with the GPS on the tray. Worked great.

I just flew Delta as Song from NYC to FL (great price $140 round trip)!. Delta allows GPS's - no neeed to ask the captain. I was all prepared to use my own GPS and then was pleasantly surprised that the TV/movie screen on the back of the seat in front of me could be set to give the info below. It was alot easier than using my own GPS plus it hadd the advantage of allowing me to take pictures with my digital camera showing current locations tracks and data. Note the circular track in the Bermuda Triangle on our approach to the Florida coast to avoid a storm. I thought we were going to wind up like that flight of fighter back in 1948 when they all disappeared. :D

478b39e1-50b6-4502-adb8-7a8617b7abd7.jpg

cde6841f-07f5-477a-9abb-5f7552d6dfaa.jpg

I flew USAir back in May.....wanetd to use my GPS and the stewardess said I could not.....even though the website says you can...

The flight was a smaller jet, operated by a different airline company but under the USAir name.....maybe that is why...I was bummed out. I was able to use my laptop though, which has the potential for more interference than my GPs...

Go figure.

I just flew Delta as Song from NYC to FL (great price $140 round trip)!. Delta allows GPS's - no neeed to ask the captain. I was all prepared to use my own GPS and then was pleasantly surprised that the TV/movie screen on the back of the seat in front of me could be set to give the info below. It was alot easier than using my own GPS plus it hadd the advantage of allowing me to take pictures with my digital camera showing current locations tracks and data. Note the circular track in the Bermuda Triangle on our approach to the Florida coast to avoid a storm. I thought we were going to wind up like that flight of fighter back in 1948 when they all disappeared. :D

cde6841f-07f5-477a-9abb-5f7552d6dfaa.jpg

Speaking of odd things, why is there a faint reflection of a giant eye in that picture?

Took a Warbird flight around Martha's Vineyard yesterday (4 seater ex-military prop plane converted to tour status). Not only did the pilot let me use my GPS and sit right seat, he kept comparing his instruments to my GPS along the way! I ended up with a really cool track log of our flight. If I could figure out how to post pics here I'll show it. :unsure:

I just flew Delta as Song from NYC to FL (great price $140 round trip)!.  Delta allows GPS's - no neeed to ask the captain.  I was all prepared to use my own GPS and then was pleasantly surprised that the TV/movie screen on the back of the seat in front of me could be set to give the info below.  It was alot easier than using my own GPS plus it hadd the advantage of allowing me to take pictures with my digital camera showing current locations tracks and data.  Note the circular track in the Bermuda Triangle on our approach to the Florida coast to avoid a storm.  I thought we were going to wind up  like that flight of fighter back in 1948 when they all disappeared. :o

http://img.Groundspeak.com/cache/cde6841f-...f7552d6dfaa.jpg

Speaking of odd things, why is there a faint reflection of a giant eye in that picture?

Hmmm Good question. I told you I was in the Bermuda Triangle. Actually it's a reflection of my camera's lens. Those are my fingers on the right and bottom left holding the camera not Neptune's hands ready to dash the jet into the drink! :blink:

Gosh! I just flew USAirways roundtrip from Boston to Charlotte last weekend, and it didn't even occur to me GPS might be a problem. I mean, it's a receiver, right? It doesn't broadcast anything, right? (Believe me, it took me a while to 'get' this idea. I was one of those silly bananas who initially wondered if my movements could be tracked through my GPS).

My Legend did fine as long as it was held up to the window, which I got heartily sick of doing after a while. I put it in the crook of my elbow then, but that eventually got annoying, too.

The best part about it was that I'd marked my car in the airport parking lot, so I'm hundreds of miles away hurtling through the air at hundreds of miles an hour, and the waypoint CAR is the clearest thing on the display. Cracked me up. Thank you, eTrex. That's really helpful.

I am a private pilot and have used GPS's on airplanes for years. My aircraft has a Bendix/King KLN94 GPS connected to the autopilot for navigation(really cool). I have used a Garmin GPS III+ and now a 60CS for backup. All airlines used to have no problem with GPS's. Over the last few years I have started seeing them show up in the do not use section electronics section of the airline magazines. I think it's because GPS users were bad passengers sticking things to windows and pointing out when the plane was going the wrong direction(holding for example). The 60CS has a barometric altimeter that works great in my unpressurized plane. You have to turn it off and use GPS altitude in a pressurized aircraft or it will show constant altitude no matter how high you are. You can see some pretty high speeds going east (with the jet stream). More recently I am seeing a mix of some carriers allowing GPS use.