Magellan Platinum Users

Shadow's

I have one also but I need to ask some questions and have no one to ask around here.

If you are useing one and know the in's and out's could you please email me? This is not some scam or anything, just need to find out some things on the settings and use of it.

The book they gave does not help me much.

Thanks,

Rick

I have one also but I need to ask some questions and have no one to ask around here.

If you are using one and know the in's and out's could you please email me? This is not some scam or anything, just need to find out some things on the settings and use of it.

The book they gave does not help me much.

Thanks,

Rick

You're right the book that comes with the Meridian isn't much help. But if you look on the cd that came with it find the English folder. Find in there a pdf file called "Meridian Engl" and that's your manual.

I can almost guarantee you that someone else is wondering about the same things as you. Feel free to ask away publicly so others can benefit from your inqueries. (as kwarner already has!)

A very specific question;

Is there a way to manage the waypoints from my PC?

I would like to be able to delete all waypoints, for instance when I take a trip. Then I could load a shorter list for my trip and restore the original when I get home. Deleteing waypoints one at a time is a drag. :D

Edit: I assumed it is understood I have a platinum.

Edited by rusty_tlc

Specific questions get specific answers.

menu->setup->clear memory->wpts/routes will clear all waypoints in your unit.

Mapsend will REPLACE the waypoints in your unit with whatever you upload. Most other programs (GPSBabel, EasyGPS, Ozi, etc.) will not.

Since you have a Plat, you probably have installed an SD card. You can use the card utilities (at the bottom of the menu) to save and restore waypoints, routes, and tracks to the SD card, allowing you to flip waypoint sets in and out for your travels.

So with or without a computer, you have lots of choices...

You'll need to find another justification for a bigger SD card. A 2,000 point tracklog (the largest it'll keep) clocks in at 128K. The longest possible waypoint in an SD file is only around 90 bytes.

On my Plat at this moment, I have 364K (a third of a megabyte) containing 2133 trackpoints and 3102 waypoints.

If you want justification for a bigger SD card, do it either becuase they're inexpensive or becuase DirectRoute is in your future...

On my Plat at this moment, I have 364K (a third of a megabyte)  containing 2133 trackpoints and 3102 waypoints. 

robertlipe-

How can you store 3102 waypoints? I thought the MeriPlat stops at 500. Are they stored in groups of 500 on an SD card?

SimiRich

You can store waypoints to your sd card individually and in groups. Also in routes. It's up to you. This way you can load waypoints from your card for a specific hike/route/drive without having waypoints that you do not need. :D

Edit: This is also very cool if you are going to be away from your pc for awhile.

Edited by Warriorrider
You can store waypoints to your sd card individually and in groups. Also in routes. It's up to you. This way you can load waypoints from your card for a specific hike/route/drive without having waypoints that you do not need.  :D

Very Cewl!

I thought you could only load regions to the sd card. Thanks Warriorrider - I learned something new today! :D

How can you store 3102 waypoints? I thought the MeriPlat stops at 500. Are they stored in groups of 500 on an SD card?

Perhaps I should have added the phrase "spread across 21 files" to make that clearer. (I had this handy when writing it since I was moving my stuff from a 128 to a 256 card at the time. For the $10 difference, I get the 256 so DirectRoute can munch it up and the new camera gets the tiny little 128.)

Yes, all the Modern Mapping Meridians handle a max of 500 waypoints (and only 200 comments) at once. Sorry to mislead.

http://www.mtgc.org/robertlipe