What GPSr Do You Use?

SBPhishy

I started with a Magellan Pioneer. Not that accurate, but it got you close. I borrowed my friends Magellan 4000 XL many times, and in spite of it being over a decade old, and not that fancy, it really worked well. Typically got me within 10' of what I was looking for. I have borrowed a Garmin 76 (or something like that), but I had a hard time figuring out how to use it, and got all mixed up with the buttons on the top. I guess I've gotten used to the way Magellan works...

I now have a Magellan Meridian Platinum and think it's awesome. I've only had it for five days, but have used the heck out of it and am happy with the purchase!

XMIT

Wow thankfully you have an iFinder I was beggining to think I was the only one and had bought some obscure gps. There is an iFinder group on Yahoo by the way. I am totally new to this whole thing and so far I am happy with the iFinder, it has taken a bit to figure out how to enter a way point and navigate to it.

I guess it is just you and I that use the Ifinder. I have the map pack 6 now and use it daily. My original Ifinder was stolen. When I bought it, I updated the firmware and it seemed to work poorly after that, and then there was always a disclaimer that popped up upon "turn on" that I had to exit out of. I did not update the new unit I purchased and think it locks on better and no disclaimer. Once you update firmware you cannot go back.

XMIT

Started with a Garmin GPS38 in 1997. Worked fine for what I used it for. Started caching in 2003 and it did a good job but the display started to fail. Not worth fixing with all the new units out. Now have a Garmin 60cs. A world of difference in the reception. Love the 60cs but are there any really bad units for caching?

I use a garmin Vista, GPS III+, GPS V, GPSMAP 60CS.

Used to use a Garmin 48 and a GPS 12XL untill I upgraded and have used Rockwells while in the Army (Don't tell them I used it for personal use <_< ).

I have used Magellans before and I would have to agree with the idea that what you start with is what you tend to stick with.

I recently purchased a Geko 201. I wanted a small, lightweight, barebones receiver to take along hiking / trail-running. The Geko seemed like the perfect fit. So far, so good. Works well with my mapping software too (NG Topo!)

While reading the manual, I came across the term "geocaching", googled it ... and here I am!

I started with a Legend. Then I got Metroguide 5 - The Legend's memory wasn't enough, so I got an eMap and 128MB data Card. That was goin' pretty good... 'til the 60C came out! Had to get me some of that! I sold my Legend and kept the eMap for backup.

If I'd known the 76C was going to follow so close behind the 60C, I probably would've waited and gotten one of those for the extra memory. But I've been happy with the 60 though.

Just bought a Lowrance Ifinder. Had a friend with one on a motorcycle trip. Bought it and a RAM mount for the bike and thought I'd try it for geocaching. After much looking at different GPSs I found that the Ifinder had the most bang for the buck (about 125 delivered). Have only looked for about 5 caches and foud three. mostly not found because of lack of time not because of the gps. Also have been in thick cover and still got signal.

I was always totally happy with my MeriColor. Now, with DirectRoute installed, it is truly a dual function GPSr. I will now only switch chips (to Topo) when going into the mountains/woods for at least a full day.

Switched to a 60cs in April after being beaten to caches while group caching on a regular basis by Garmin users. Now I'm on a par (or better) with this GREAT unit.

Man...I sure am living in the past! :mad:

We use a trusty, old Garmin GPS-12 in the hand and my GPS III Pilot for the car. The -12 is actually pretty nimble, but a tad bit slow. It still gets the job done, however. :huh:

My next Garmin will be the Rhino 130. LabLady and I are both Amateur Radio ops, and we're thrilled about incorporating GMRS into geocaching using the Rhino's radio.

Also, I think the electronic compass and barometer features are a big plus in the hunt. :D

If you have the Rhino 130, drop me a line and let me know how it's working so far.

-PilotMike-

Programmer/Pilot

Apple Computer