Cachemate 3.2

Maeglin

If I receive two query e-mails - "Boston" and "Memphis", then I convert and download them seperate into cachemate on my PDA I cannot see them as seperate queries.

All waypoints from both queries merge into one file.

Is there a way to have seperate queries in the PDA cachemate?

If I receive two query e-mails - "Boston" and "Memphis", then I convert and download them seperate into cachemate on my PDA I cannot see them as seperate queries.

All waypoints from both queries merge into one file.

Is there a way to have seperate queries in the PDA cachemate?

Just add a new category, I have done that with the coords for a geocache/orienteering event.

August Code

Sledge Hampster,

Could you expand on the process to load cache waypoints into SSH 2004? I've tryed multiple ways to export them into it with no success. I'm selling my iPaq on ebay becuz of the flaky Bluetooth on it plus I've got new "pdaitis" (perhaps an iQue?!?!). Mapopolis with it's "gpx2maplet" feature was my main use of it, after I discovered Cachedragon sucked ($20 wasted).

Sooo.... If i could get caches ON A MAP, I'd be very happy in Palm land.

Edited by oneeyesquare
After running my GPX ZIP file thru CacheMate I use GPSBabel. I then resync my pda and then I have the waypoints in Delorme Street Atlas 2004 Handheld. Nothing like direct routing to a cache!

I think you're talking about "forked" input of the original GPX file into two applications. I want to somehow output data from CacheMate (so I can select what's outputted) and then feed it to a map.

To add to my wish list: A way to telling in the list mode the kind of cache. Right now it seem that "cache type" isn't used for any kind of filter or display outside of the screen where it's set. Filters would be nice, but adding another status column (just before the proposed found/bookmarked status column) would be better. The status would be the first letter of the cache type. Since I may be getting a color unit, color might be another good way to deal with this.

Edited by GeckoGeek
To add to my wish list:  A way to telling in the list mode the kind of cache.  Right now it seem that "cache type" isn't used for any kind of filter or display outside of the screen where it's set.  Filters would be nice, but adding another status column (just before the proposed found/bookmarked status column) would be better.  The status would be the first letter of the cache type.  Since I may be getting a color unit, color might be another good way to deal with this.

Sounds good. Can just make this part of the next release (this weekend, hopefully). Not so sure about color options, since at the moment I'm opting against the fully configurable coloring... it's an on/off switch right now with the colors red/grey/black meaning bookmarked, found and all others, respectively.

The status column wouldn't be hard to implement in the way you suggest, since the code for the found/bookmarked column is already there.

Currently, these list view options are just being implemented in the main list view... not the bookmarked or nearest cache lists. As far as propogating those settings to those lists, the one that makes sense is to have the cache type column in the nearest cache list. Is that what you were thinking as well?

Edited by Maeglin

OneEyeSquare,

To import into SA 2004 HH...

I use gpsbabel frontend as follows:

Input file: Location where I saved .gpx file from GC.Com.

Format: GPX XML

Output file: C:\Delorme Docs\Mobile Maps\Wpts Transfer\XMapHHWptsSend.txt

Format: DelormeXMap HH Native.WPT

Click process.

Hot Sync PDA and viola! Waypoints in SA 2004 HH.

Email me with any questions and I will be glad to help you out as best I can.

Edited by sledgehampster
Currently, these list view options are just being implemented in the main list view... not the bookmarked or nearest cache lists. As far as propogating those settings to those lists, the one that makes sense is to have the cache type column in the nearest cache list. Is that what you were thinking as well?

Actually, I'd like to see them on all lists just for consistency. True, you don't need to see "bookmarked" on a bookmark lists, but it would still be nice to see "found" which I think we discussed was going to use the same column.

Just so we're on the same page, the thing I'm suggesting is having TWO status columns. The first one is the cachetype (first letter) and the second one is the found/bookmarked one using the +, - and ±.

So an example might be: T+Banjo huggers

Actually, I'd like to see them on all lists just for consistency.  True, you don't need to see "bookmarked" on a bookmark lists, but it would still be nice to see "found" which I think we discussed was going to use the same column.

Should be doable. Didn't take much effort to make it work as in my last post, so that shouldn't take much more.

Just so we're on the same page, the thing I'm suggesting is having TWO status columns.  The first one is the cachetype (first letter) and the second one is the found/bookmarked one using the +, - and ±.

Right. That's the way it is on the main list view at the moment. I can finish duplicating that on the nearest cache list, and then most of it on the bookmark list.

Any possiblity of a port to PocketPC ?

Maybe... once I get over my well-earned disgust for for that OS. I've had to do plenty of coding for WinCE/PocketPC in my day job, and have just gotten tired of how flaky some things are in it (you have to dig below the surface to know what I mean).

There's also the issue of coming up with a format for a database file, and replacements for other things that Palm OS makes extremely simple by comparison.

A wish for CM Convert.

When viewing a large list of caches in the CMConvert program I would like to be be able to view the list of caches alphabetically by 'description' or by 'waypoint ID'.

This could be done (maybe?) by clicking on the column headings 'Description' and 'Waypoint ID'.

Last time I tried to do anything with sorting columns like that, I couldn't get it to work very well, so I just disabled the UI for it in this case.  If I can get it working, I'll put it in.

Thanks for looking into it (and thanks also for the speedy response ;)).

If it can be done it would certainly make life simpler when wading through a large GPX file and deciding which entries to convert :lol:.

Would adding expanded screen capability for the T3 be something you could easily add to CM?  It would be nice to utilize the full T3 screen.

The question for you would be, have you tried it yet? Versions 3.1 and later can handle the T3 minimized Graffiti area in portrait and landscape modes.

I have version 3.2. When I have the screen expanded, the icon to minize the graffitt area (the arrow pointing into an open box) is deactivated and the expanded screen area is only the grafitti writing areas.

Is there some other way to minimize the grafitti area that I don't know about? I'm new to Palm.

Thanks.

A wish for CM Convert.

Oh! Thanks for the memory jog - is there some way to log the points that had the description truncated? That would give me the option of seeing what I want to do about it then rather then wait until I'm actually looking for that cache. I might be able to open the GPX file and tighten things up a bit.

Oh!  Thanks for the memory jog - is there some way to log the points that had the description truncated?  That would give me the option of seeing what I want to do about it then rather then wait until I'm actually looking for that cache.  I might be able to open the GPX file and tighten things up a bit.

Could add something to the end of the description in the list in those cases. Added to the to-do list for the next CMConvert version.

Just finished the additions to the nearest cache and bookmark lists to finish out the status/type columns. Still on time for a release of 3.3 this weekend :rolleyes:

Could add something to the end of the description in the list in those cases.

That's not a bad idea either, but I was hoping for something that would tell me right at convert time when I have some options. In some of the pre-processing I do I've added "NNNN" to the end of all descritions. If I don't see that, I know it got cut off, but having to look at each cache to find what got cut off is murder when you've loaded 1000. :rolleyes:

Maybe just display the list with the cutoff ones highlighted in red?

Maybe just display the list with the cutoff ones highlighted in red?

Not sure how to change the color in the list control I'm using, aside from drawing the text myself (something I'd rather avoid). Besides, you can't generally assume color support in Unix environments, and I want to have the feature in both ports of the code. In both cases, it's just easier to append (or prepend, for that matter) something to the cache name in the list.

Could you quit releasing new versions so quickly. :rolleyes:  I just get used to one then here comes another! Wish every business had this kind of customer service!!

Yeah well... I work on this stuff as I have time, and esp. during the holidays with currently no SO, I had a lot of that :rolleyes: I'm also trying to get down to a monthly schedule of feature releases as far as a maximum rate, assuming I have enough for a feature release when those times come by. The last 2 releases were patches. This next one (3.3) will have a few new things, a couple fixes, and some things rearranged (pulled out the UTM coordinate display into a plugin, for example, to save space for those that don't need it), and this weekend is about right on time for a month after 3.2.

Not sure how to change the color in the list control I'm using, aside from drawing the text myself (something I'd rather avoid). Besides, you can't generally assume color support in Unix environments, and I want to have the feature in both ports of the code. In both cases, it's just easier to append (or prepend, for that matter) something to the cache name in the list.

Hey, an import log file with maybe a popup window warning me to check it will work for me. I'm not really picky about how you tell me, just tell me without my having to look at the whole cachelist.

Hey, an import log file with maybe a popup window warning me to check it will work for me.  I'm not really picky about how you tell me, just tell me without my having to look at the whole cachelist.

Done... combination of message box alert and red icons in the list to show which records are affected. Also figured out the list sorting header thing, so I've got sorting by all columns... not just waypoint and description. Nice being able to sort by terrain and difficulty ratings as well :rolleyes: A patch release with those 2 things will be out this weekend as well.

Edited by Maeglin

Also will have the multi-line field scroll buttons in there. Originally, because I had trouble with those before, the plan was just to put them in there to reduce support emails/posts because people didn't read documentation (or help text) to see that the hardware buttons worked.

After I put them in, though, I noticed something strange...

- Put them in the first time, doesn't work (always an extra scroll when button is released)

- Take them back out

- Put them in a second time later on, does work

My first thought... Huh?

Anyway, 3.3 will have those in it.

Tempted to go ahead and do a release earlier than I anticipated (tonight, maybe), because there's a mandatory meeting at the office that's just come up, on a Saturday of all times. That, combined with the fact that I was going to try and do my first hide this weekend... the time, it's running thin :rolleyes: