How Many States?

ArtMan

With a benchmarking/caching trip to West Virginia yesterday, I just added the 9th state to my benchmark list:

VA DC MD DE NJ PA CT NY WV

Unfortunately, I hadn't yet been active in benchmarking last year when I visited the West Coast, since I missed the opportunity to add two more states.

I know I have the advantage of being in the Northeast, where smaller states make adding to one's list relatively painless; maybe a fairer comparison would be number of counties (which I haven't tallied - yet).

How do your numbers compare?

-ArtMan-

PS - Yes, I know DC isn't a 'state,' but if you look on your NGS datasheet on the STATE/COUNTY line, you'll find 'DC' for benchmarks in that jurisdiction. (Anyway, DC *should* be a state since Washingtontonians pay taxes, serve in the miilitary and incur all the other blessings of citizenship. But I don't want to make this a political thread. Read it as 'jurisdictions' if you're offended.)

My current bag is WA, CA, ID, NY, PA, NJ, RI, VT, NH, ME, NC, GA, FL, KY, which I make out to be some 14 states.

I'm about to set out on a 5500-mile cross country trip and will try to recover as many initial points and prime meridians as I can document before leaving. I'll certainly add some eight or nine states of regular bench marks.

Next summer I hope to start with the "Point of the Beginning" on the Ohio river and get a number of the prime meridians in OH, IN, IL, and MI.

All of mine are in California, but that's fine with me; it's a big state, and we have Counties even bigger than the ones in Texas! :unsure::mad: There are many hundreds of California controls that haven't been logged by anyone in decades, and I'm going to head on out and grab me a few of them this coming weekend and next week :mad:

Very impressive, CallawayMT - but I see you are a professional surveyor, and I'm not sure that should count ;-)

Artman - Now that just doesn't sound fair; I enjoy finding them just as well as you.

I'm up to 16 with the addition of FL, MS, AL & LA. Couldn't find any in the terminals at St. Lake City or Atlanta or I could have added a couple more. More to come this summer.

My previous tally was WA, CA, ID, NY, PA, NJ, RI, VT, NH, ME, NC, GA, FL, KY. We just completed a 7,700 mile, 57-day odyssey from Portland, OR to Port Jervis, NY via San Diego and Daytona Beach. We were able to add AZ, NM, TX, LS, AL, MS, WV and MD to our total, which I now make out to be some 22 states. Frankly, it was a real bummer trying to identify, process and log some 270 photos at one sitting once we got home. ;>)

We also added 5 new initial points for a total of seven logged (WILLAMETTE OR/WA, BOISE ID, MT DIABLO CA, PHOENIX AZ, ST STEPHENS AL TALLAHASSEE FL. NAVAJO NM is not included in the GC listings and LOUISIANA is in the middle of an impenetrable swamp (unless you're at the tail end of a 60 day drought as was C. Walter White when he managed to visit it). We also logged the ZERO STONE in Texas but that is not one of the 38 initial points of the GLO rectangular survey system.

This summer we'll add a couple of the central states and more initial points.

No fair! You live where the states are all bunched together!

I'm have to agree. The States are bigger and farther apart on the west coast. My home county alone covers over 6000 square miles. Consequently, my finds are mostly limited to my home state of California. But, I do have a few finds in Oregon, Nevada, and Utah too.

- Kewaneh