Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
LukeH

Quick Hints

I'm taking the Tech license element 2 exam on Sunday (14th) and hopefully the element 1 morse code exam as well. I think I have studied well enough to pass the Tech exam - I took a couple practice exams and passed them - but my morse code has got a bit rusty. Any hints about how to freshen up in the course of 2 days?

That depends on how much polishing your CW skills require :lol:.

BAck when I took the 20 WPM test (Extra Class requirement at the time), I practiced using the Super Morse program on an old NEC laptop (4.77 mHz, two FD's, and less Ram than I can recall). I was out of town, working in the eastern MA area and practiced CW in the evenings to kill time in the hotel room for the week before testing. On the way home, I set the laptop on the front passenger seat and just let it send random characters for the six-hour Friday trip home. The volume was fairly low.... just enough to be heard.

On Saturday, I went for the test, only because I had reserved a seat in the test session, and actually passed without any problems.

If I can pass a CW test, anybody can. Go for it and kick booty!

Luck is only where preparation meets opportunity.

Having said that, good luck. But if you fail, just use it as a learning experience. Next time you will know what to expect, and will be better prepared (luckier) because of it.

I know of only one way to learn the code. And you can't cram for it. :lol:

Again, good luck.

Thanks, I'll see what I can do. I have been totally ready to take the code test two times in my past, but things have come up and I haven't been able to take it, and thus I have let my ability decay. Hopefully I can freshen up enough to pass the 5 wpm.

I passed them both! Not only that, but they asked if I'd like to try the General Class test, just for fun. I thought, why not, I have already paid the twelve bucks. So I took it and passed that too! I did decline their offer, however, to take the Extra today.... :D

Looking forward to getting my call sign in a couple weeks :lol:

I passed them both! Not only that, but they asked if I'd like to try the General Class test, just for fun. I thought, why not, I have already paid the twelve bucks. So I took it and passed that too!

OUTSTANDING !!!!!

Zero to General in one move!!!

I once knew a guy, I called him the no-code Extra. He passed ALL the written tests back when it was hard. But he never got the code.

Please let us know what your callsign is when you get it.

(Like you wouldn't tell us if we didn't ask)

Welcome to Ham Radio!

Looking forward to getting my call sign in a couple weeks :D

It doesn't necessarily take a couple of weeks. When I took Elements 1, 2 and 3 like you, it took from the tests on Saturday morning until about 7 p.m. EST on Tuesday for my call to be posted on the FCC web site. All of this depends on how fast your VEs get the info into the FCC.

At any rate, congratulations and welcome aboard!

Congratulations! Your story reminds me of a ham who started out like you did, then kept testing all the way to the Advanced Class. Once you are on a roll, you are really on a roll.

Don't forget to post your call sign when you receive it, and Welcome to Amateur Radio!