Yet Another Question....

wray_clan

my question:

I go to the "Hide and Seek a Cache" page and type in my zipcode (99999) to see if there's any new hides, right? So the list comes up, and the first geocache says 0.3 miles from 99999. What is this 99999? Is it an actual point, if so, where is it? (city hall, etc)

If you don't understand, please say so.

I have been told that the zip code is the actual POST OFFICE location I don know if that is true or not but it seems to be accurate where we live.

Not true for my zip or some near it.

The centroid of the population or the land area seems right.

If you really want to know where that point is, do a zip code search, and then click on the MAP IT link near the top of the page. The + on the map will be at the center of the search.

Enumclaw WA's zip is terribly off. I really don't mind, but it would definitely cause problems for out-of-towners searching for Enumclaw's closest caches. The cache closest to our post office doesn't show up on a 98022 search until page 3.

For some reason Crystal Mountain is where our zip coordinates are.

If you have some spare time, map 98022 and see what you get. It's kind of funny, in a barren mountain map way. <_<

Og

Enumclaw WA's zip is terribly off. I really don't mind, but it would definitely cause problems for out-of-towners searching for Enumclaw's closest caches. The cache closest to our post office doesn't show up on a 98022 search until page 3.

For some reason Crystal Mountain is where our zip coordinates are.

If you have some spare time, map 98022 and see what you get. It's kind of funny, in a barren mountain map way. :D

Og

Maybe the town used to be on top of the mountain and slid off? Maybe I should just stop posting. I know, I know, there are many others who feel the same way. Sorry, couldn't resist. :D

To self moderate myself, and make up for my off-topic reply, I vow to go get a reading at our post office, then compare that with the coords given for 67108 to see where they connect. That is the geo-pennance I have assigned myself. How hard can it be? I'm .2 miles from the post office, which is .25 miles from the edge of town, in any direction you go. :D