Newbie Question

StashSeeker

Not necessarily. I'd look for a mid-range priced GPS that has mapping capabilities as well as software availability. I'd say for a beginner, do like most people have and buy a Garmin eTrex Legend. It has a base map installed, and will connect to the PC to download mapping software, such as US Topo Maps or MapSource USA. There are about as many different opinions as there are people in these forums as to which unit you should start out with, so just hang out a while and try to pick through all the posts and opinions to decide which is best for you. Me? Definitely some sort of Garmin product with expandable memory. I'd avoid Magellan products, as I hear they are too overpriced and under-teched. Others will argue that point, you can be sure.....I bet within the hour, we'll have all sorts of arguments going in this thread, so hold on to your hat!

Happy Geocaching and Good Luck!

Me?  Definitely some sort of Garmin product with expandable memory.  I'd avoid Magellan products, as I hear they are too overpriced and under-teched.  Others will argue that point, you can be sure.....I bet within the hour, we'll have all sorts of arguments going in this thread, so hold on to your hat!

Sparky-Watts makes a good point. My experience, unlike sparky's, was to try the Garmin and the Magellan side by side in the field. I chose the Magellan Meridian Platinum. I believe it would be a mistake to allow someone else to recommend a particular make/model for you. If you take your time, read everything on every make/model you're interested in, and if you're fortunate enough to find people in your area that will permit you to examine (or observe) their equipment alongside a comparative device, you'll soon find the one you're comfortable with. GPSr selection is a personal thing; like choosing a mate. If you make an independent decision you won't be :huh: at someone else who tried in vain to be helpful.

Edited by gallahad

The Magellan/Garmin/Lowrance debate goes on for ever! I have a friend who has 5 (I think at last count) GPS's and each of them have their advantages and disadvantage. I took a long time researching each of them and reading the forums until my eyes bugged. I narrowed it down to 3 models and then went to a store that sold them. Not your WalMart, Radio Shack etc. but one that specialized in navigation and GPS. (In this case, http://www.radioworld.ca Radio World in Toronto) they sell all makes and models so there's no bias. I talked with a fellow there and he helped me to narrow it down to the one I needed (note: not the one I thought I wanted).

Am I happy? Yup. For the price restriction I gave myself (I wasn't sure if I was going to use it much - (laughing hysterically) and so I didn't want to invest alot.) I ended up with a Magellan Sportrak Map by the way. The $50 (U.S.) rebate and included Canadian Map software helped to win me over.

Just be aware that whatever you buy, in a few months it won't be enough and you'll be wanting bigger and better.

Just be aware that whatever you buy, in a few months it won't be enough and you'll be wanting bigger and better.

It may not even take that long. It took me two-point-five weeks and 30 logged caches to realize that my Legend wasn't going to cut it from a 'reception' angle.

I don't have the patience for 'poor reception' ever time I turn around, so my husband bought me a new GPS for my birthday... which as morphed a bit since the purchase (until I found one I was happy with.)

My advice is to figure out what your budget is, and get the maximum amt of GPSr you can afford.

After my Legend, I found I quite liked the Magellan Meridian Platinum (~$260), and the Garmin GPS V (~$320). I kept, and use one of those two... but really they're both awesome! And now that I'm a couple more months down the road with a few more finds, I have to admit, I'm pretty happy with my GPSr, and am not looking to upgrade any time soon.

-=-

michelle

That's what you'll hear a lot of cachers say, it's SO true! :lol:

I love my geko 101. I've failed it, but it's never failed me. Of the four DNFs I've had, two aren't there, one I found on my second trip, one was the first leg a multi that I've verified was 2 inches away from me and I just didn't see it the first time.

I sometimes want a bigger better rig, but it feels like the GPS would be doing all my work for me. For whatever bizarre reason I enjoy wondering if I should have taken a right turn at that last street...

"If it's about the hunt, then don't buy things that take the hunt away. If it's just about the kills, well, that's another story."