Multiple Cache Theme....anyone Done One?

Cracker.

I am reading a book on our local history. The author walked the length of this major river, and along the way shares local history at each town along the way....

I was thinking it would be cool to "retrace" his steps, and make a cache at each town along the way, based on each historic "tidbit". Some caches may be short multi's due to not having public property for a hiding spot at all the stops....I figure if I need to, give coords to go "virtual" to the specific historic spot, where you get info for coords for each actual cache which would be hidden in a nearby park, or state land.

The only thing really tying the caches together would be the fact that they are learned of from this book, and I would have the theme title as part of each caches' name.

The author has several old books out on local history....I thought it might be cool to offer one, or even a set of autographed books of his, to the FTF to find them all...

Or maybe to the person who logs the highest number of them as FTF, once they have all had an FTF....

I expect there may be between 20 and 30 caches total.....15 at the very least...

They will be spread along the 130 mile length of this river....from the spring where the head waters pop out of the ground, to the other end where the semi-major river meets one of the Great Lakes...

What do you all think?

Edited by Cracker7M

Hope you're talking about Arch Merrill, one of my favorite regional history authors.

What a GREAT idea for a cache series. It's a long river. A single cache would be way too much and few would expend the effort to log it. But do a couple of caches in a few towns, and you'll hook people into wanting to complete the entire series.

When cache locations are separated by a great distance, it's perfectly fine to do a series rather than a single multicache. There are plenty of other examples and I'm sure some folks will post some.

You could consider releasing the caches one at a time, maybe one a week, starting from one end and moving to the other end; or, list them all at once. Also consider leaving clues in each cache that would lead to a bonus cache where your first finder gift would be located.

The Genessee is the river of my youth. I could see planning a summer vacation around this cache series and its nearby neighbors.

Too cool. ;)

I've been thinking about long distance caches, as I drive for a major bus company. The problem I foresee is with approval. It might be hard to get because the caches would be 'out of your regular caching area', whatever that means. (Finds in 5 states so far) Of course, you could always place them as a series of caches (ie River walk 1, 10, 20 ,etc.).

Perhaps you could include a clue or some such in each cache container. The only way to find the final cache would be to have them all in hand and you could have a prize for the first person to assemble them all...

Can you see the cache description if you did it as a multi cache? "This cache requires almost 300 miles of hiking. Bring food, water, and a change of underwear." :huh:

Perhaps you could include a clue or some such in each cache container. The only way to find the final cache would be to have them all in hand and you could have a prize for the first person to assemble them all...

Can you see the cache description if you did it as a multi cache? "This cache requires almost 300 miles of hiking. Bring food, water, and a change of underwear."  :huh:

Hehehhe...

Actually, I was just thinking of having them all as stand alone caches, WITHOUT a single final cache....

Figured I might just notify the winning FTF'er (if they dont notify ME first), and make arrangements to either meet them or send them the FTF prize....

Due to the nature of the final prize, (a book(s) printed in the early 40's and autographed by someone who is no longer among us), I wouldnt want it to get ruined in a cache-container-mishap, or plundered by muggles....

Oh, ya...the author is buried in a nearby cemetary, and I was thinking of maybe including his grave site as a virtual stop... That way everybody could thank him in person... ;)

Edited by Cracker7M

A group of cachers called the Three Amigos have a system of caches that follow the missouri river from the south border of Nebraska/Iowa to the north. These are all called the "L&C" caches that were placed in honor of the Lewis and Clark expedition. Might want to drop them a line to see what their experiences have been.