Magellan "secret" Waas Screen Stats

javamutt

I was pondering turning off WAAS for a while just to see if things became more accurate. This was my first time using the secret handshake on my MeriGreen (Menu, RT, LT, RT, LT, 03, ENTER). Looks like it holds home statistics in addition to allowing on or off the three slots.

Sat

State

SNB

Az

Fl

In the lower section I have columns for East, Long, Long and rows for Avail, Sats.

From prior threads it sounds like there are conditions when WAAS is good, and conditions where it is not good. I'm wondering if this screen holds a key to identifying whether or not WAAS is good to have enabled in a specific condition. Anyone know?

Sat- Satellite. 120 is East WAAS sat, 122 is West sat.

SNR- Signal to Noise Ratio, I think any number below 50 is useless, bigger is better.

State- Seems to indicate when searching, and when receiving.

AZ- azimuth indicates what area of the sky the satellite is in (e.g. 90° is East).

Fl (actually is EL)- Angle above horizon.

There are three types of correction: Fast, Long, and Iono. “Avail” indicates the amount of corrects available (Iono always have more, based on a grid of the sky (?)). Sats indicate how many of the corrections you have downloaded.

Code number “01” will indicate which sats have what corrections. It will display something like this for each sat that is seen:

28 (satellite name) XXXX (state) 123 (this is the SNR) 1234 (don’t know) FLI (Indicates that you have fast, long, and Iono corrections on the sat - can vary based on type of correction).

If all the available sats have FLI behind them then your getting good WAAS reception, and accuracy should be improved.

Another interesting note about code number one is it will display the PDOP at the bottom (bottom displays hd-heading, a- altitude, p- PDOP).

Wyatt W.