Christmas Caches

Halden

We had a cache in the area called "The Holiday Cache." The idea was that whatever holiday was coming up, that's what you would leave something related to it. However, it didn't last long (plundered). I think it probably wouldn't have been too long before it strayed pretty far from its intended theme, though.

Another cacher in our area has recently hidden a cache at "Santa's House" in a nearby town. Neat idea, and I guess since it's there all year round it maintains the theme.

Bret

I thought I recalled reading a forum post from last year that holiday themed caches were frowned on? I could be wrong. We were setting one out that had holiday stuff in it but the title was going to be generic enough so the cache could evolve into whatever it was destined to become.

They can be frowned upon if the they are place with intentions of it being a temporary cache.

As far as the one I linked to, the owner is going to make it a regular cache afterwards. Thats fine.

Jacksonville has a 12 Days of Christmas micro series with a bonus cache at the end. Up until Christmas you can take something (cool GEO items) without trading; after Christmas it becomes a regular trade-for-junk cache. Wanted to get there last weekend, but cached elsewhere - will probably have to go after New Years.