Lageocaching.com Is Back Online!

alexm

Just a quick note to let everyone know that Louisiana's very own geocaching website, LAGeocaching.com is back!

The official grand opening of the site is January 1st, however if you drop in early and register with the site, we'll enter you into a drawing for door prizes at the grand opening.

We've got some decent stuff online, and more in the works. Probably the coolest things are the geocaching.com page hit counters & statistics. You can see one in action on my

Allons! cache page.

We've also have an image gallery with about 200 images of Event Cache photos, as well as never before published photos from the geocache cameras at the Allons! cache in Louisiana and Waterfall3 in Mississippi.

If for no other reason, drop by and check out JamieZ's "Tarzan Boy' picture in the Waterfall 3 cache camera section of the gallery. I *almost* made it my geocaching.com avatar. :huh:

So drop in and check it out. There may be some minor dust still left to settle, so please watch your step. Most of all, let us know if you have any ideas to make it better.

Happy Caching!

Alex

Edited by alexm
Nice job Alex. Looks good. 

I've got some cache pictures I can load onto the site.  I don't have much time to do it now, but I'll try to get to it after Christmas.

Excellent!

I almost asked for your permission to steal some of the pics from your "Red Beans and Rice" and "Rolling on the River" cache picture pages, but I got tied up moving the site around between hosts and .com, .org, etc....

If it's just a matter of uploading them to the site (which can be time consuming doing it one at a time), feel free to email them to me in one big chunk. I can put 'em online in one fell swoop.

That offer goes for anyone else with Louisiana cameras, or cameras that are likely to have Louisiana geocacher's pictures on them. We've got plenty of disk space and bandwidth for the site.

I'm really looking forward to getting some more cache camera pictures on there. Considering the numbers of pictures I've taken at cache cameras versus the numbers I've actually seen, I don't think that too many cache owners keep up with it.

Hopefully, this will work out for the LA folks and make it easier to get them online. I first did the Allons! pics about 9 months ago, and never got 'em online as I was never content with the layout. This way, it's out of my hands, and still looks pretty dang good...

Thanks!

Alex

Very cool! I had tried to reister with the site months ago and discovered it was not operational. I found it by clicking someone's Keenpeople link, then got there from keenpeople. I regret not seeing the old one, but the new one is really slick.

Yeah, I recently obtained the domain from it's previous owner -- the grandfather of Louisiana geocaching and inventor of the campout event cache, Phil. Unfortunately, I made some poor choices along the way and have managed to position the actual domain, "lageocaching.com" into a place where I'm not willing to host it. :lol: That's the reason for the .com -> .org -> .com fiasco. In a few months I'll be able to straighten it all out and push .org to the background.

I'm really excited about this whole thing, and I hope it goes over well with the locals. If it continues to go well, I've got a few ideas to make it better. I want to see how well the page counters go over first to see if people will actually use any "value added geocaching services" that I can come up with.

Thanks for the kind words. I'm looking forward to seeing where this goes!

Alex

I love the page counters! Very cool. I have put them on three caches so far. It's nice to be able to choose from several different backgrounds, it helps to associate the background with the actual cache. It's really neat to view the counter ticker on the right side of the homepage as well. This is the start of something big. As caching gains popularity in LA, the site is going to become a very useful resource. I already made it my home page in my browser. :lol:

That's a very nice-looking site. What's odd though is it won't load in Konqueror on Linux whereas our site (alacache.com) does just fine. I'm also glad to see that the newsfeed from our site is working as it should (gotta love XML :o ) Congrats on getting it up and running!

Thanks!

It's sorta strange about Konqueror. Of course, your mention of that made me expand the browser test bed a bit. I was able to reproduce it in netscape 4.71 and narrowed it down to two left-open table tags... somewhere.... Cramming two close table tags into the footer seems to have solved that problem. :mad: It's a conflict somewhere deep between one of the modules/blocks and the theme I based the LAGeocaching look on (DeepBlue).

Now for something really strange... I went to alacache.com to test against another copy of DeepBlue, and when I try to get into the forums using Mozilla 1.3.1, the forums open in the little scrolling "last forums posts" block! In IE whatever-version-i-dont-use-it-unless-i-have-to, it works fine. Two weirdos in a row. ;)

alacache.jpg

Take Care!

alex

I went to alacache.com to test against another copy of DeepBlue, and when I try to get into the forums using Mozilla 1.3.1, the forums open in the little scrolling "last forums posts" block! In IE whatever-version-i-dont-use-it-unless-i-have-to, it works fine. Two weirdos in a row.

Yeah I know :D Alacache.com is also screwy on Linux with Mozilla 1.5 :) I have been working on it and was hoping no one would notice :D It odes, however, display properly with Konqueror. Hopefully I will have some more free time soon to work out the bugs for those of us that use Linux :P Keep up the good work!

Jeff