Move This Bug Along

retphoto

maybe they grabbed it?

As the cache owner I asure you that I have not grabbed it.

As a TB owner myself I asure you I know how the owner feels.

I myself have had my TB fall off the radar screen for a period.

what happen to me was someone took my tb and never logged it,

they did not log the tb nor the cache log, 3 months later they caught up

on their backlog and it finally showed up. in the mean time it appeared as

if it were still in the cache. this is where we are at this point:

On Oct 29, I personally visited and inspected the cache. there was

no TBs and the cache was in good condition however all the good prizes were rotated out and new improved goodies needed to be replenshed.

On November 2nd Bigdaddy01 (who by the way ONLY has 3 finds) and

could be considered Newbie? logged that he had dropped off THE TB.

On Nov 8th Natureboy logs a visit but no mention of a TB

On Nov 9th tpsauer logged a find but notes there is no TB.

everyone else after that confirms the tb is MIA.

Last night I recieved an email from the TB owner asking about his TB.

I dispatched the wife to check on the cache and emailed natureboy, and

the tb owner, Natureboy reports there were no TB in the cache during his visit

and the wife confirms no TB but the cache is still in good condition.

While it could have been a kid who found the cache and took the TB but I dont

think so, a kid would have taken more then ONE item, My guess is that someone

found the cache on Nov 2nd thru early 8th and took the TB but did not log the find

(YET?) OR someone who has already logged the cache returned to pick up the TB and does not know how to log a note to put the TB in thier hands, OR the TB never really made it to the cache n the first place.

Natureboy and I have offered to replace the TB with a new one but we are not

sure how to transfer the mileage from an unregestered tag to the MIA tag and

are not sure what would happen if the TB were to resurface in the future.

In the meantime I am going to post a MISSING PERSONs (TB) flyer on the

cache page and in the actual cache. hopefully the TB will show up.

any advice would be appreacated

Wally

Wally,

Did ya happen to notice if there were any logs in the logbook during that timeframe that were not posted online? For that matter, was the newbie's log in there? I've seen people accidently log a find on the wrong cache, because they made a typo when searching by GC#. It was only his second cache, it's possible.

Natureboy and I have offered to replace the TB with a new one but we are not

sure how to transfer the mileage from an unregestered tag to the MIA tag and

are not sure what would happen if the TB were to resurface in the future.

That's very generous of you; you're a good cache owner. All good cache owners feel some sense of responsibility when a TB goes missing in their cache, and all good geocachers feel badly when they place a TB that then goes missing.

One time when I moved a bug nearly 2,000 miles towards its goal, the next finder pocketed the bug and never placed it again. The bug owner was sad about that and wrote to me. I offered to replace the bug, as by coincidence I had just found a duplicate of the TB object in another cache a hundred miles away from where the TB had gone missing.

The owner sent me a new "goal card" in the mail, along with a photocopy of the backup dogtag, laminated in plastic. They also could have sent me the actual backup tag, OR I could have made up a goal card on my end, and included the secret code number in large print right on the goal card.

If you did something like this, you wouldn't need to worry about the mileage starting over at zero. Of course, the original bug could resurface, but if that were to happen, it'd be easy for the bug owner to write to the geocacher who rediscovered the original bug and make arrangements for its return.

Hope this helps.

Did ya happen to notice if there were any logs in the logbook during that timeframe that were not posted online? For that matter, was the newbie's log in there? I've seen people accidently log a find on the wrong cache, because they made a typo when searching by GC#. It was only his second cache, it's possible.

Ok, I personally went out to check the logbook today. (I sent the wife last night but she forgot to check the logbook, so I went there today).

Mr Bigdaddy01 was in fact there and did sign the cache log, in the logbook he notes that he is dropping off the Be Mine TB. so that means only one thing. A Geocacher took the TB and did not log the find. nor did he log the logbook. the logbook is in cronalogical order and matches exactly the online log, includeing the notes by each cacher mentioning the missing TB. I really dont think it was a kid because the only thing missing is the TB, a kid would have taken everything.

I have offered a reward for the safe return of the TB, ( I will give a unregestered TB tag set to the finder) and am working with the TB owner and Natureboy to devise a plan of what to do next.

My gut feeling is that I can make up a Paper laminated travel bug tag and adfix it to another item, send the item on it way with instructions that if the orignal tag were found the finder should email the TB owner and have the TB mailed back. when the new item reaches its final destination the TB owner can remove the paper laminated tag and place the COPY of the orignal tag on it.

how does this sound?

wally

Thank You All for all your assistance....

I am going to go with the assumption that the Original TB is MIA, we can move along a replacement such as been discussed with laminated paper copy tag and heart shaped keychain or whatever. and when it reaches here i will replace with a small plush toy.

Robert

PS> I have been in Email contact with Everyone who's listed in association with this TB.

Thank You All for all your assistance....

I am going to go with the assumption that the Original TB is MIA, we can move along a replacement such as been discussed with laminated paper copy tag and heart shaped keychain or whatever. and when it reaches here i will replace with a small plush toy.

Robert

PS> I have been in Email contact with Everyone who's listed in association with this TB.

Ok, Ill make up the laminated Tag and laminated TB sheet.

anyone interested in getting together at the Castle Park Cache

for a Photo op and a fitting relaunch cermony?

RetPhoto I need you to email me the Orignal TB number so I can make the paper laminated tag. the number is found on the 2nd copy of the tag and also on the label bag the tags arrived in. also are you part of Lucky Kid Proud Parents?

Natureboy and Bigdaddy you interested in being a part of this?

does anyone know where we can get an item that looks exacty like the orignal?

otherwise Im going to go to the local mall and get one of those teddy bears that you put the heart in and they stuff it while you watch.

Let me know whos in, I want to move quickly on this

wally

Thanks for letting me know about the forum discussion after having either initiated or responded to a few emails about the lost TB. This has been very puzzling. I agree it probably wasn't a kid or else he would've taken the yo-yo, not a stuffed valentine. There wasn't much else in the cache at the time besides some pencils and stickers from what I can recall. Sounds like a nice recovery plan with a lot of cooperation among those involved. As far as some additional information, the original valentine was made of soft cloth, was stuffed, and was about 2-3 inches wide in a ziplock sandwich bag. Unfortunately I won't be able to participate in the re-launching ceremony since I'm way up here in CT. Hopefully it will get to its ultimate destination in PA in time, thanks to all your assistance.

:)

It is done, I have printed out a new tag and laminated it,

dug out the sewing maching and actually created a copy of the

actual TB, its not commerical quality, but it does have a lot

of HEART in it. :) I have printed out a copy of the Travel Bug Sheet

and even donated a plastic zip lock bag.

I will place it today (christmas eve)

I took some photos of the bug, to see them go to the

bug sheet ( TBB344 )

http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?tracker=tbb344

Wally

Edited by scoobydooers

The bug has been placed in the bat cave

I figured there were enough caches in the area to make it worth the trip

for anyone who wanted to pick it up. besides all of the caches in that area

are above the high water mark, (although I did get a little wet placeing the cache)

good luck to the bug and to the bug owner, ... glad I could help

scoobydooers

Note to all who are following this thread from way back.

the TB that was placed back in circulation has arrived at

the appointed destination within the timeframe.

The Be Mine TB was picked up by KBer and moved to PA

where Retphoto picked it up and placed it in the final cache location.

For the whole story read this discussion and then have a look at the TB sheet

Be Mine TB

Also be sure to check out the Greetings page that was included with the TB

Greeting page

Wally