How Would You Use 72 Hours, $3,000 And One Dream!

WheelsMan

I saw this and thougt some of you adventurous types :huh: might be interested in applying to be on the program! Deadline is Dec. 31, 2003.

http://media.dsc.discovery.com/fansites/now/now.html

What would you do if you had 72 hours, $3,000 and one dream?

Discovery Channel is searching nationwide to find America's most imaginative dreamers for a new series called No Opportunity Wasted. That is, we're looking for you.

Led by host Phil Keoghan (click here for more on Phil), also seen in the Emmy Award-winning The Amazing Race, NOW is about living each day as if it were your last.

NOW dares you to live out your dreams on national television: We'll clear your personal calendar and give you 72 hours and $3,000 of seed money. That's it. Ultimately it's up to you to think up the ideas and turn them into action. We'll just film it.

Perhaps your dream is to dine on top of an erupting volcano, or assemble your college football team to settle a 20-year-old score. Or maybe it's to audition for a Broadway show, or retrace your steps along the Ho Chi Minh Trail with your war buddy. (Click here for more sample dreams.) We all have things we want to do before we die. What are you waiting for?

All you have to do is put your dream into writing by completely filling out our online application and submitting it with a three-minute video by Dec. 31, 2003.

Filming of the show will begin in early 2004; you'll know you've been chosen to "do your dream" when Phil literally shows up on your doorstep or walks into your cubicle at work. Then you'll be in for an adventure of a lifetime — an adventure of your making.

No woulda/coulda/shouldas — live life to the fullest. Apply NOW.

Hello folks,

The initial post in this thread could be considered to be on topic if people wish to discuss adventures that would involve GPS use or geocaching, like a dream to use the money to finance a caching trip in as many states as possible, or to find a remote geocache like "As North as it Gets". Feel free to discuss things like that! CarleenP is thinking of her geocaching related adventure. Other contributors to this topic need to be thinking the same way.

Hello folks,

The initial post in this thread could be considered to be on topic if people wish to discuss adventures that would involve GPS use or geocaching, like a dream to use the money to finance a caching trip in as many states as possible, or to find a remote geocache like "As North as it Gets". Feel free to discuss things like that! CarleenP is thinking of her geocaching related adventure. Other contributors to this topic need to be thinking the same way.

Please, someone tell me this is a joke. Surely it is. Ha ha....funny one!

Sorry, J5... not what I had in mind, nor what the original poster had in mind, nor what the Discovery Channel has in mind. But perhaps in your mind, it would be a worthy subject to have a film crew follow you around whilst you create your community? Fine, then.

Still waiting for geocaching/GPS related adventures of the type described in the original post.

Sorry, J5... not what I had in mind, nor what the original poster had in mind, nor what the Discovery Channel has in mind.  But perhaps in your mind, it would be a worthy subject to have a film crew follow you around whilst you create your community?  Fine, then. 

Still waiting for geocaching/GPS related adventures of the type described in the original post.

No offense Keystone, but I don't think that you can speak for the Discovery Channel. I think they might go for it. I'm going to start writing my proposal first thing in the morning. Deep down I think you know that there could be some pretty exciting drama in this scenario.

Geo 97J 104 105

I see now, Jomarac5. Posting in a new internet forum is your idea of "living life to its fullest" and "an adventure of a lifetime" (to use the Discovery Channel's exact words). That explains a lot.

Not meaning to pick on you.... the posts which preceded my hint to stay on-topic are even more off-topic. But hopefully those posters are heeding my hint and are mulling over a GPS or geocaching-related adventure.

Edited by Keystone Approver
Discovery Channel is searching nationwide to find America's most imaginative dreamers for a new series called No Opportunity Wasted. That is, we're looking for you.

Read carefully. It says "imaginitive dreamers" not "unimaginitive schemers." :huh:

The "ultimate geocache" contest has been done before, so it would probably have to be something unique. Perhaps an unusual way of making an approach to a cache?

In an effort to improve the sport of geocaching I would, if selected, remove this blight on the geocaching community:

Rainbow Reef Estates

by b2s2b2 [profile]

image_map.gif

S 16° 45.588 W 179° 55.321 (WGS84)

UTM: 1K E 188464 N 8144725

or convert to NAD27 at Jeeep.com

In Fiji

Hidden: 8/24/2003

Use waypoint: GCGYQE (what's this?)

(ratings out of 5 stars. 1 is easiest, 5 is hardest)

Difficulty:staryellow.gifstaryellow.gif Terrain:stargreen.gifstargreen.gifstargreen.gifstargreen.gifstargreen.gif

This will be easy once you get there if there are a couple people

To get to this remote location you must Take a 45 min boat ride from the Garden Island Resort. the cache is nailed to something and it is a plasctic ziplock bag that is yellow on one side. Dont expect to stay long its easy to find the location. In the cache there is a plastic army man, matches, lighter, dive page, and nails.

Admin note: this vacation cache was placed by someone who cannot maintain it. In addition, it appears that it will become litter very soon, if it hasn't already. The first finder is requested to remove this "cache" and request that it be archived after you have logged your find. Thank you.

Additional Hints (Decrypt) Decryption Key

A|B|C|D|E|F|G|H|I|J|K|L|M

-------------------------

N|O|P|Q|R|S|T|U|V|W|X|Y|Z

(letter above equals below,

and vice versa)

It is in the largest tree on lot ten, which is about thirty to forty yards from the ocean

Find...

...other caches hidden or found by this user

...nearby caches of this type

...all nearby caches

...all nearby placenames

...all nearby benchmarks

For online maps...

Microsoft MapPoint

Geocaching.com Maps (shows caches)

MapQuest Maps

Topo Zone - topographical maps

Microsoft Terra Server - aerial photos

Logged Visits (1 total. Visit the Gallery)

Warning. Spoilers may be included in the descriptions or links.

Cache find counts are based on the last time the page generated.

September 25 by Crow T Robot (0 found)

Thank you for your submission. Please read the guidelines posted at http://www.geocaching.com/about/guidelines.aspx about vacation caches. It appears that you will be unable to maintain this cache from California; how often do you visit Fiji? Also, it sounds as if you just hung a ziplock bag on a nail in a tree. Please describe the cache and cache location a little better for me. Thanks.

Just in case the Discovery channel dosen't pick me, you can support my effort.

Send me a PM and I will give you an account number to do the e-transfer.

Thank you for your continued support. :huh:

discuss adventures that would involve GPS use or geocaching...

Alright, I'll follow the rules.

There are a few Degree Confluences that might need 72 hours and lots of money to get to. I've been wanting to nab a challenging confluence for a long time. The resources to do it would be a welcome adventure.

Jamie

I'd try to bag a cache in all 50 states. Alright that might take more than $3000.

The limiting factor on that venture would most certainly be time, not money.

My original thought was to simply visit all the states (excluding AK and HI), which in itself would take about five days in the best circumstance. To find a cache in each one of them might double that time, or at least add half.

Your costs would be very little. Maybe $500-$600 in gas, and then food.

Jamie

Well, my idea was to go to Truck Lagoon to dive some of the eighty-some-odd Japanese WWII wrecks....and bag a cache or two on the way. However when I looked, I found that there are only two caches in all of Micronesia, both are virts. One looks as though it's underwater, so that suits me just fine! ;) Now to get cracking and see if I cant win me a warmwater vacation now that schools out. :huh:

I, on the other hand, have two ideas actually, one GeoCaching related, the other not.

1. Use the time and money to visit as many of the places I lived as an Army brat as possible to see what they look like now. This may not seem like much, but consider, I went to 18 different schools between kindergarten and the 12th grade. It might take more than 72 hours to hit them all, but the challenge would be to hit as many as possible in the time alloted.

2. Use the adventure to return to one place I lived, Bad Kreuznach, Germany. I would then take the opportunity to hit as many caches in the area as possible during the alloted time. They would be my first overseas physical caches. I'd love to go back and see Kuberg Hill, maybe go to the Frankfort Zoo again, visit Cheimsee, Garmisch....sigh.

Oh well, we can dream, can't we?

:huh:;);)

Drat. Once again the rules state that you must be "a U.S. citizen or legal resident alien". I'm not American, and despite being born on a small planet somewhere in the vicinity of Betelgeuse, using the words 'legal resident' might be a slight mis-statement of the facts.

Seriously, being Canadian is great, but it sure is a drag when all the interesting TV shows won't let us play. And before anyone mentions Eco-Challenge and that sort of thing, that's just a bit too extreme for me.

SylvrStorm

1. $3000 for as many acres of desert land in Wyoming as I could afford and then hide evil little microcaches in the shape of mice all over the place. Geocachers versus Rattlesnakes, winners take all.

2. Go to the magnetic north pole to set up a geocache right on the spot where the compass needle twits out. Now that could be done in 72 hours.

:huh: