Sportrak Color Vs Meridian Platinum Gps

RadioCD

Greetings all! :lol:

I've just stumbled across Geocaching and am totally fascinated by it. First thing of course is to get a GPS. I've been researching different models online and think I have it narrowed down to two. The SporTrak Color is the more expensive of the two and I'm wondering if the extra money for color is worth it. Also, I see that memory cards are only supported by the Meridian Platinum. So, it's either color or memory. I would greatly appreciate it if anyone would give me their thoughts on this. Thanks so much. I can't wait to get started. :o

Regards,

Chris

I just upgraded from a SportTrack Map to a Meridian Platinum. Colour aside, I think over time you will appreciate the Platinum more. The extra memory and SD/MMC cards are a BIG advantage if you are using the MapSend maps. I find the antenna to be quite a bit more sensitive and the electronic compass rocks.

Gorak

Geo 56 22 35

I just upgraded from a SportTrack Map to a Meridian Platinum. Colour aside, I think over time you will appreciate the Platinum more. The extra memory and SD/MMC cards are a BIG advantage if you are using the MapSend maps. I find the antenna to be quite a bit more sensitive and the electronic compass rocks.

Gorak

Geo 56 22 35

I concur with Gorak. I have had a Platinum for almost a year now and have not wanted for more.

I haven’t seen the Sport Trak Color but I currently have the Magellan Meridian Color GPSr with an expanded (SD) memory card of 64 MB. It is a nice unit and it seems to work well for me. I have also owned the Magellan 330 map and the Sport Trak Map. These of course, used the basic (black & white) screen.

Viewing of the screen on the Meridian Color unit is best done with the backlight on…difficult with it off. On a bright sunny day it can be difficult to see even with the backlight on. You will find yourself angling the screen to get the best view – still with difficulty. In something less than bright sunny conditions or a cloudy day with the backlight on…the color screen is very nice. My feelings on the Meridian Color are that it is a very good unit and the color is nice if you can learn to deal with its shortcomings. I don’t know how much better viewing Sport Trak Color unit is….but I’d be curious to see it in bright daylight. Depending….(and if I were buying) that might make me reconsider my need for a color unit.

Hold out for this one.

pt-GPSMAP60CS01Large.jpg

My intent is not to start a Garmen/Megellan debate, but doesn't the keypad on the 60CS look strangely like the keypad on the SportTraks & Meridians? :o

I wish I had had the luxury of waiting several months until the 60CS shipped before deciding to upgrade, but I broke my SportTrak and needed an immediate replacement. :lol: I didn't want to lose my investment in Magellan data & power cables and MapSend software. I may upgrade again if the 60CS turns out to be a real winner, but I'll wait until they are shipping and a few people have reviewed them and reported back.

Gorak

Geo 44 65B

Oh yea, the 60CS is SWEEEEET! Would love to get my hands on that. I noticed that the keypad looks familiar, too. Seems Garmin played catch-up with Magellan and then went a bit further. 30+ hours on a single set of AA's? Awesome. Electronic compass, too. Full-color. Dedicated geocaching screens.

What was I just saying about not wanting anything? Oops!

Suggested Retail Price:

$535.70 U.S.D.

OUCH!

Just have to wait for the price to come down, and I am there.

Edited by TEAM 360

MSRPs are typically quite a bit higher than what they actually sell for, but it wouldn't surprise me to see it sell for that much. Bronco1 will be my first place to price it when it does go on sale, as their prices are the lowest around in the Phx area.

The Geocaching navigations screens are awesome. Makes me wonder if they're going to release ROM updates for some of the other existing models that incorporates similar screens. The Vista for one has the electronic compass that the 60cs will also have.

Guess I'm going to have to find more on-the-side jobs to do to pay for a new GPS unit. :huh:

<sidenote>

Where does Garmin come up with those MSRPs? The Vista shows an MSRP of $321.41.

</sidenote>