Looking For Metal Dies/taps?

jollybgood

I'm not sure what they are called so I haven't had any luck googling.

I'm looking for a set of small metal dies with numbers and letters that I can used to stamp blank dogtags or small pieces of aluminum. (to place waypoint coordinates on clues for a multi-part cache). They are usually used to put serial numbers on equipment and so forth.

Anyone know where I should start looking?

The price for the set at woodcraft is great. Grainger sells them for about $30 just for the numbers, no letters. And they are usually called stamps or hand stamps.

Greenback placed a cache called Tag that used customized dog tags as markers. You can make them yourself in a machine at most of the large pets stores (like PetSmart or PetCo).

Edited by Stunod

parkrrrr beat me to it but here are the retail location in IL;

Harbor Freight Retail Store Locations

Illinois

ARLINGTON HEIGHTS,IL 940 WEST DUNDEE ROAD 847-392-1400

AURORA,IL 904 N LAKE ST, (HWY 31) 630-966-9008

PEORIA,IL 107 N. MAIN ST. 309-698-6004

ROCKFORD,IL 5902 N. SECOND ST 815-282-4300

SPRINGFIELD,IL 711 W. JEFFERSON ST. 217-523-0740

Greenback placed a cache called Tag that used customized dog tags as markers. You can make them yourself in a machine at most of the large pets stores (like PetSmart or PetCo).

Yeah, Grainger and Harbor Freight. System log resources cleared and better modem connection between brain and fingers!

You can also get personalized dog-tags done at a machine in the front of a lot of WalMart stores and I know a few malls have them, also.

Just thought I would show you what I use for metal tags. These are small, 1"x3", but you can write a lot of info on them. For multis, I put the waypoint on one side and a hint on the other. Easy to engrave the info on them with a ballpoint pen. You can string some metal wire through the holes and hang them from a branch or you can nail them to something, although nailing them leaves only one side visible. Painting them after you engrave them helps camoflage them if needed.

14843_1700.jpg

Edited by Navdog
.....I can tell you that the 1/4" size takes a bit of OOMPH to get a good impression, due to the surface area. I imagine the 3/8" and 1/2" sizes need a press to get a good impression.....

I'll agree with the comment about the 1/4" size taking some effort to get a good impression. Go bigger if you can!

If you got one of those old-fashioned hardware stores nearby, they'll probably stamp the tags for you for minimal cost. You need to go to the type of place that will cut and fit glass, repair a torn screen, sharpen knives and scissors, tune a lawn mower, sell individual fasteners, etc. Not the big box Home Depot or Lowes type places.

I did this for a stage in one of my multi's. I went down to Wal-mart and used their dogtag machine. It's usually located near the entrances and most of the bigger Wal-marts around here have one (the machine...not the entrance..well..they have entrances too...but...nevermind).

I think it cost about $5.00 to get one made. It engraves the numbers/letters into the dogtag instead of imprinting them.

Bret

If you got one of those old-fashioned hardware stores nearby, they'll probably stamp the tags for you for minimal cost.  You need to go to the type of place that will cut and fit glass, repair a torn screen, sharpen knives and scissors, tune a lawn mower, sell individual fasteners, etc.  Not the big box Home Depot or Lowes type places.

You have real hardware stores where you live? :huh: All the local shops around here have packed up and moved on. ;)

The local surplus store does dog (military style) tags though.

The problem with going this method is that these tags cost about $6 a piece. Too much I think. I guess it all depends on how many you plan on making.

I've had good results using printed paper and laminating. I print the coordinates on paper using a pc and printer. Much more versatile and customizable. Of course, if you don't have access to a laminator, this will put you back about $80 to purchase one. Wouldn't take many dog tags to pay for it though.

Very kewl. THanks for all the great feedback.

I think I'm going to try the aluminum tags and see how that goes.

I found them for $7.99 (for 25 tags I think) at http://www.merrifieldgardencenter.com/prod...parent=148&pid=

I've been wanting to put some tags in some rather wet areas and I think these are just what I'm looking for.

I'll try these first before getting the letter/number stamps -- but it's nice to know where to buy them now.

Thanks all! Knew I came to the right place.

I think I'm going to try the aluminum tags and see how that goes.

I found them for $7.99 (for 25 tags I think) at http://www.merrifieldgardencenter.com/prod...parent=148&pid=

That's the ones Jolly. Except I paid $4.99 for a package of 50 at the nursery. I am sure you'll like them. The ability to engrave/write on them, it's a soft aluminum, with a ballpoint pen gives you lots of options as to what info you can put on them, plus the advantage of having both sides to write on. You can also take a fine point sharpie and write over the grooves to enhance the visibility of the lettering, but it is really not necessary.

All 3 of my multi caches use tags stamped with the letter/number stamps from Harbour Freight. They are 3/16" size, (marked: Steel Stamping Set #8330). I think I paid about $7 it on sale.

For one tag I used a brass washer about 1.5" in diam.

For 5 of the other tags, I cut them from a piece of aluminum taken from the chassis of a broken radio. Nice and thick, but can be cut with snips. Painted them camo and nailed to wood post, or used braided steel cable and crimp ferrules.

Harbor Freight has 'em in five different sizes.  I have a set of three of the sizes, and I've been happy with them.  I can tell you that the 1/4" size takes a bit of OOMPH to get a good impression, due to the surface area.  I imagine the 3/8" and 1/2" sizes need a press to get a good impression.

Search for "stamps."

I have a couple sets of these stamps from Harbor Freight. Got them on sale-- about 1/2 off.

The 1/8" size letters seem to be the most popular.

We use them for making aluminum tree tags with coordinates on them.

FYI: regarding the main topic title: taps & dies are used for threading...

PS: After camoflaging the tags, rubbing wax, from a wax pencil or crayon, into the indentations makes it easy to read.

Edited by Energizer