Am I The Only One?

wildlifeguy

I use a garmin 12xl, am I the only one out of all these geocachers?

Currently I am using paper to find my caches but am going to buy a PDA (if I don't get one for Christmas, hear me Santa?) and am going to try and join the two. I've read alot of posts about using GPS receivers and PDAs but I don't get the feeling that people are using them together. As in real time tracking of your position relative to the waypoint on the PDA. I realize that some PDA/GPS combined machines do this, but those who have separate machines, Are you doing this too? This is possible right? Are there any suggestions on which PDA I should get? TAlking/emailing Garmin, Compaq, and Palm the reigning suggestions are the ipaq, the M5xx series, or compaqs 31, 32, 33, etc. series. ANy suggestions or advice on what I should buy before I spend my wife's hard earned money?

ANy and all comments/help is appreciated.

Thanks

Peace!

ANy suggestions or advice on what I should buy before I spend my wife's hard earned money?

Ahhh, it's good to see I'm not the only one doing this! ;)

Sorry, I don't own/use a PDA, and doubt that I will anytime soon. You've come to the right place for answers, though. Many of my questions have been answered just by browsing the forums, and I picked up a lot of good tips, too.

Good luck and Happy Geocaching!

I don't see any huge advantage in linking them together. Typically, people use a PDA to store cache descriptions, and a GPS receiver to get them there.

If you have a GPS with mapping capability (which I guess you don't), real-time tracking on a PDA is a bit redundant, so most people don't even bother.

Many years ago I used a PDA hooked to GPS receiver that had no display. You couldn't do anything with the GPS unless it was hooked to a PC or PDA. The cord between the two was really annoying. The configuration ate batteries like crazy. I wouldn't recommend such a setup at all for geocaching.

There are some Bluetooth devices which would let you eliminate the cord, but it can be kind of pricey. Cost-wise, you're probably far better off buying a mapping GPS.

George

I've read alot of posts about using GPS receivers and PDAs but I don't get the feeling that people are using them together.

You're right. Running around with a GPS and a PDA with a cord between them is begging to get something snagged and something else smashed.

Frankly in my opinion, if you want real-time mapping, get a mapping GPS. I think most use the PDA as a way storing information about the caches. That way you don't have to cut down as many trees and you'll always be ready for spur of the moment - "hey I've got some time - let's go caching!" kind of thing.

As far what you should get - a cheap Palm (so you don't cry so hard if you break it running around in the brush) and CacheMate. Simple, powerful and effective.