Junk Cache Contents - An Insult

TEAM KFWB GPS

;) A cache finder who has found one of our caches writes, "Sadly to say, while there were a couple of nice items in the cache, it has mostly degraded to a lot of junk, an old dead cel phone, old receipts, ticket stubs and expired coupons".

May we add (from other emails we've received), wine bottle corks, bottle caps, dirty kids toys, a penny, used string, etc. etc. This, very unfortunately, seems to be the sad demise of most, if not all caches - it's an insult to the cache placer, the cache finder and Geocaching.com in general. THERE IS NO EXCUSE FOR THIS - NONE.

I don't get it -- people are putting junk in your cache, or you put junk in and are mad because people don't like it ?? The message was not clear.

If folks are putting junk in the cache, that is quite unusual, in my experience. Have you seen this happen before? I regularly check my caches, adding new items, and would remove 'junk' if it was present.

Certainly I would want an email or posting of a log if junk was found.

HM

I try to maintain my caches as much as possible. When I was out caching with docdesi and his family we found one cache that was in terrible shape... it was leaking and the contents was in horrible shape. The cache also had lots of junk in it that seems like someone emptied out their pockets into the cache.

It is ashame that people out there think that is helpful or funny.

In the case of the cache we found... docdesi and I completely emptied the cache dried it completely out, removed the junk and the wet sludge, and replaced it with all fresh trinkets.

We are all participants in this game/sport and we should realize we are all trying to work together and we are not competing. We should try to help each other out.

In our area, this seems to be generally not the case. I'm not sure if it's because the cache hiders are actively maintaining their caches, or people around here just know it's not cool to leave junk in caches. But in general, most of the caches I see have reasonably interesting stuff. If I come across a cache with junk in it, I just replace all the junk with trade items I have on me. I know that other people do that as well. Lead by example, I always say... (something that TEAM KFWB GPS has always done.) So, just keep up the good work and hope that people will eventually catch on in your area. ;)

--Marky

I absolutely agree with Team KFWB. They have placed many caches with decent (sometimes incredibly excellent) swag, and it's very sad to see their contents degrading so much.

However, I disagree (respectfully) with Baptist Deacon. I think comments like this are a very good thing to put into the log. (I admit though that I probably don't do so often enough.) Aside from alerting the cache owner, which admittedly could be done via a separate email, it also alerts other cachers to the condition of the cache.

I can sometimes, upon seeing a log describing a cache needing help, be prepared to fix it up a bit when I go hunting for it. Yes, that's the cache owner's responsibility, but it doesn't hurt to help out a bit. I recently placed a new log book in a cache because a previous finder had reported the old one full. The cache owner was very grateful.

The other benefit to logs like this is that it might educate people who tend to leave junk in caches. Some don't read logs, or don't care, but some probably think that what they are leaving is a good idea. Seeing logs like this might teach them that others see their trade items as nothing but garbage, and get them to rethink their choices.

SylvrStorm

Its a sad fact of geocaching, that all caches seem to degrade over time. This is why cache maintenance is important. I know that Team KFWB GPS has a rep for placing some fantastic caches, stocked with really great items.

I realized it's not always possible to trade even. I've ocassionally placed nice items in caches, ranging from new GC.COM hats, to decent binoculars. I really don't expect someone to leave something equal in value, but something more than an expired McDonalds coupon, or a beer bottle cap would be nice.

Edited by briansnat

I guess I have to wade into this because it was my log entry that was being quoted. ;) First off, I want to say that I don't cache for the swag. In fact, as often as not I take nothing, leave something decent. As for the quality of the cache itself, like all KFWB caches I've visited it was well hidden, well planned and a delight to find. There was nothing wrong with the container, the hiding place or the log book. I apologize to KFWB if my log comments offended them - it was not my intent to point any fingers at the cache owner, but at the people who leave things in the cache that would better be left in a trash recepticle. I mean, leaving a 5 year old cel phone with a smashed display that takes up most of the cache container is simply disrespectful and inconsiderate. Why would possess anyone to believe that old store receipts or ticket stubs would be useful to anyone? They belong in the garbage.

Baptist Deacon mentioned that I should have not made those comments in the log but in an email to the cache owner. Why? It is the people hunting the caches that determine what they leave behind, not the cache owner. I agree that cache owners should maintain their caches, but to expect a cache owner to have to completely replace the cache contents every few months because it has degraded to used tickets, old receipts, pocket lint and bottle caps is unreasonable. If you can't trade up, don't trade at all.

Gorak

Geo 35 34

I agree here with gorak. I think mentioning the condition of the cache and its contents is why we are supposed to leave comments... As long as they are not meant to be offensive. And it is not the fault of the cache owners as long as the cache owners take some time to once in a while maintain the boxes. Maintaining the boxes is the responsibility of each owner... this is why we are not supposed to hide caches while we are on vacations. I have however, hidden one cache that I can not get to in a 15 to 20 minute drive. But a friend from that area said that he would look in on my cache from time to time to make sure that it is being maintained.

Gorak's comments are entirely appropriate, and we appreciated his log on our cache page. All this team is saying is that NO cacher should leave junk/garbage in cache boxes. It's just not appropriate. Either leave nothing, or something that another cacher would be delighted to find; there's lots one can buy 'out there' that doesn't cost a lot of money, and would still make someone happy!

So far I haven't had too much of a problem around here. Sure every once and a while someone trades one of my $10 gift cards for a toenail clipping, but thats pretty rare. In some cases I have added a friendly little reminder on the cache page to Trade Up, Trade Even or Don't Trade. I don't expect someone to leave a $10 dollar item, but the least people can do is make a trip to Dollar Dayz and pick up so NEW swag. What's worse is when someone HIDES a cache and it had junk drawer crap in it to begin with! What the heck do you do then? Do you TNLNSL DPM it? Or do you leave something decent and take nothing?

[edited to say 'cards' not 'cars'. I don't give away cars in the caches. Not Yet anyway. ;) ]

Edited by JMBella

It might be an education thing. Those who read the forums are aware of the issue, but others may not.

What we could use is a "Trade Fairly (or Don't Trade)" logo similar to the CITO logo. Stick it on the site's main page, maybe even on cache pages. Just a thought. Feel free to modify the wording as needed.

Edited by geospotter
It might be an education thing. Those who read the forums are aware of the issue, but others may not.

What we could use is a "Trade Fairly (or Don't Trade)" logo similar to the CITO logo. Stick it on the site's main page, maybe even on cache pages. Just a thought. Feel free to modify the wording as needed.

I like it. Working on LOGO now. ;)

I guess I have to wade into this because it was my log entry that was being quoted.  ;)  First off, I want to say that I don't cache for the swag.  In fact, as often as not I take nothing, leave something decent.  As for the quality of the cache itself, like all KFWB caches I've visited it was well hidden, well planned and a delight to find.  There was nothing wrong with the container, the hiding place or the log book.  I apologize to KFWB if my log comments offended them - it was not my intent to point any fingers at the cache owner, but at the people who leave things in the cache that would better be left in a trash recepticle.  I mean, leaving a 5 year old cel phone with a smashed display that takes up most of the cache container is simply disrespectful and inconsiderate.  Why would possess anyone to believe that old store receipts or ticket stubs would be useful to anyone?  They belong in the garbage.

Baptist Deacon mentioned that I should have not made those comments in the log but in an email to the cache owner.  Why?  It is the people hunting the caches that determine what they leave behind, not the cache owner.  I agree that cache owners should maintain their caches, but to expect a cache owner to have to completely replace the cache contents every few months because it has degraded to used tickets, old receipts, pocket lint and bottle caps is unreasonable.  If you can't trade up, don't trade at all. 

Gorak

Geo 35 34

I couldn't agree more, or improve on what you said.

Edited by SLCDave
Do you TNLNSL DPM it? Or do you leave something decent and take nothing?

When I encounter a cache that has degraded to the point where there is nothing but junk in it, I used to TNLNSL but now I prefer to try and set an example by taking nothing and leaving something nice. If only a few people did that I believe it would set an example for others to trade up or even. I believe that 'Crap begets crap'.

Gorak

Geo 35

Well, I have to add my comments in here, as I was at the same cache about 2 weeks before Gorak and stated essentially the same thing.

TEAM KFWB GPS has always had caches of high quality both in location, challenge and contents and I find it insulting that users in my area feel as though a used, expired ferry ticket is an fair cache trade item.

I think that posting this kind of thing in the logs is entirely appropriate, as it might just inspire the next cacher to bring along something worthy of a trade.

I also believe that as we suggest *equal* trades, we might remind the community at large that to trade down is to dilute the excitement of finding the cache for some people. For kids in particular, they *love* the opening of the cache, where I have become more interested in just finding the cache container.

When I encounter a cache that has degraded to the point where there is nothing but junk in it, I used to TNLNSL but now I prefer to try and set an example by taking nothing and leaving something nice.  If only a few people did that I believe it would set an example for others to trade up or even.  I believe that 'Crap begets crap'.

So now you write TNLS? (took nothing left something) ;)

I almost always TNLNSL, I'm a packrat and already have two of anything you might find in a cache. :huh:

I do clean the real junk out of every cache I visit.

I do like finding a feather or dry flower, I want to think some kid left what they considered a treasure.

I do carry a few things to trade if I run across something I can't live without.

This might be a good place to suggest places to get good (non-dollar tree) trade items.

I stop by the local thrift store's. I have found some very nice stuff for under a dollar, but hey I haggle a bit. My best find was a couple of sets of antique button covers. Thrift stores are a lot like caches though, some are full of junk, some are full of good stuff. And like geocaching it's fun to find out which is which.

;)

So now you write TNLS? (took nothing left something)  thats great navdog!
Gorak wrote:

If you can't trade up, don't trade at all.

I very much agree with this statement. I'm also impressed with the number of times that Gorak leaves something without taking anything.

I was also at the cache with Gorak (although I had logged it some time ago) and was appalled at the amount of crap that was in it. I know very well that TEAM KFWB GPS caches do not start out this way.

I don't understand how some people can justify a lousy trade to themselves -- surely there must be a little bit of guilt there. I'll bet that if crappy stuff was left in their caches that they would be pretty upset about it. It's a two way street and the reality is that the majority of the trade items are for kids -- if you've got kids with you and you are not trading fairly, you certainly aren't setting a very good example for them to follow.

If you're not going to trade fairly, then don't trade at all -- no one gets upset about not trading.

Geo 64

Edit: typo

Edited by Jomarac5

Ok. Let's discuss what "fairly" means and when it applies.

1) Is the item worth what it's worth to you or should you look up the cost online before you trade? ebay.com price or froogle.com price? Honestly I don't know how much 90% of what I've seen in caches cost. More importantly, it's not like my 4 year old son cares. A pokemon toy is a pokemon toy as far as he's concerned.

2) Does this also apply to FTF prizes? Should I be sure to carry some really expensive stuff with me just in case there's a FTF there? (I was third-to-find on a difficult cache with some incredible swag in it.)

3) Do you really think the people doing this are reading this forum? If so, do you really think this thread will change how they behave?

4) Are you so cash poor that you can't just leave a decent item in every cache you find and not care that there's nothing in there you want? Drop off a buck item at every cache (heck, the baby screwdrivers I leave don't even cost that and people seem to pick them up) and take nothing and after 100 caches you still spent less than your GPS cost you. If you are that cash poor than read the next one, because I feel for you.

5) Right now I'm doing well. I can afford to try to make every cache a little better than I found it. Someday I might be laid off, and wondering how to make ends meet and doing this because it's the one hobby I could do for free. When that day comes the last thing I want to think this community spends it's time complaining that the best I can do simply isn't good enough.

If you don't like what's in there, then fix it up and get on with your life because I swear, I'm gonna to become a TNLNSL for the same reason I'm letting travel bugs rot under the snow this winter: because it's better to just not play the game than to constantly listen to people complain.

Do you TNLNSL DPM it?  Or do you leave something decent and take nothing?

When I encounter a cache that has degraded to the point where there is nothing but junk in it, I used to TNLNSL but now I prefer to try and set an example by taking nothing and leaving something nice. If only a few people did that I believe it would set an example for others to trade up or even. I believe that 'Crap begets crap'.

Gorak

Geo 35

That I agree with. If I'm at a cache where I now the owner always sets up an exeptional cache, (like an RPA cache by Bayonets4u), and it had deteriorated to crap then I'll kick it a few decent trade items and take nothing. But when a cache starts OUT like that? I'm not going to contribute anything. I might as well have just placed the cache myself if I do that.

77980_800.jpg

log quote: - it's an insult to the cache placer, the cache finder and Geocaching.com in general

It's pretty clear this wasn't a slam against the owner, just an editorial towards the previous finders/traders.

Children are the most disappointed with poor trade items. I've started the practice that if I find a depleted cache, I'll trade up with kid type swag items. Usually most adults aren't interested in them, leaving the stuff for the youngsters.

I still remind my kids that if they find something really cool, they need to at least trade even or they can't trade. They are tired of hearing that lecture, but at least they know I am gosh darn serious. I hope that sinks in before they learn that while they are trading fairly, many others are not.

=========

Ok. Let's discuss what "fairly" means and when it applies.

Do I think my restocking a cache is "fair" to me. No, but I don't care. Do I think taking swag and leaving garbage is fair? No, do you?

Quote:

Do you really think the people doing this are reading this forum? If so, do you really think this thread will change how they behave?

Gorak didn't posted his opinion here. Someone took exception with it and wanted to discuss it in the forum.

JMBella -- very nice logo.

I generally do not trade anymore -- I just leave a stone that I paint with a Hikemeister logo, and sign the log. Trading was fun early on, but now it really is not a great interest to me.

Agree that periodically checking the contents and putting in good items is a nice thing for cache owners to do -- so that when parents bring their kids out cache hunting, they have good stuff to find -- keeps them interested in geocaching.

I posted this comment awhile back in a forum with the same topic:

Here's the way I like to think about this issue: Think about the item you are leaving in the cache. Now ask yourself this question..."Would I have taken the item I left in the cache instead of the one I actually took?" If you can answer "yes" honestly, then it's probably a fair trade. If you would not take the item you are leaving for someone else, then something is wrong.

Yes, they are game pieces. I just think our game pieces should show some pride in our game. I have done 2 interviews with the media. In both cases, the caches had interesting items in them. That was 2 1/2 years ago. Now, I would be embarrassed if the media opened the typical cache.

Food for thought...

So some of you feel that cache maintenence is replacing the garbage that has been placed in a cache with more good stuff?

My idea of maintainence is removing things that don't belong there and making sure it's still there. I'm not going to provide a group of swag collectors with more than they deserve. I'll start all the traditional caches I place with good items and if the contents are junk afterwards then shame on the rest of you ;)

We don't take items from a cache very often these days. Maybe once out of every 20 caches or so will we even think about trading.

We recently had a local cache owner do a little maintaining on one of his caches. He came back and posted a note - whereupon he threw a royal fit because he couldn't believe all the junk in his cache and how people would take all the GOOD STUFF he'd put in it originally (more crap really) and put worthless goo in there!

How Dare They! [snicker]

I found it rather humorous when he went out one of my newly placed caches, took about $15 worth of goodies and left 3 dollar store items.

How do ya like dem apples? ;)

Lazyboy & Mitey Mite wrote:

My idea of maintainence is removing things that don't belong there and making sure it's still there. I'm not going to provide a group of swag collectors with more than they deserve. I'll start all the traditional caches I place with good items and if the contents are junk afterwards then shame on the rest of you

I don't know that maintenance requires updating the contents of a cache, but it sure wouldn't hurt to add some new stuff to pick the cache up if the cache contents have degraded.

On the plus side, it's unlikely that the same people who have not traded fairly will visit the cache again.

From what I've seen since I started caching, it's an unfortunate fact that a lot of the contents in a cache degrade over time. For the most part, if it is within your means, adding a good item or two is a very commendable thing to do and adds greatly to the activity. The thing to do if you come across a *bad* cache is to contact the cache owner and let them know that there is a problem with the cache. They need to know about the problem to be able to do anything about it.

The *most* responsible thing to do however, is to trade fairly or not at all.

We recently had a local cache owner do a little maintaining on one of his caches. He came back and posted a note - whereupon he threw a royal fit because he couldn't believe all the junk in his cache and how people would take all the GOOD STUFF he'd put in it originally (more crap really) and put worthless goo in there!

How Dare They! [snicker]

I found it rather humorous when he went out one of my newly placed caches, took about $15 worth of goodies and left 3 dollar store items.

How do ya like dem apples? ;)

Come on people. It's not about the stuff.....is it? ;)

I generally put about $15 - $40 into a traditional cache. It's a gift to the people who find it. The only thing that I care about is the log book. Trade what your gut tells you to trade at my caches. I wrote everything off as lost the minute I got outta sight. (Same goes with tb's, but that's for another forum.)

I have been investing a bit more into the items that I trade. Not for any noble purpose, but because I like to leave something interesting. If some small child trades a broken McToy for it, FINE. The kid is learning about the give and take of the real world. Chances are that some of the useless crap in the caches that you find was much loved by the child who left it. Has anyone but me considered this?

I find the useless junk in caches terribly interesting. Spare change on the other hand....I'll spare you that rant.

To quote one of my all time favorite movies,

"You don't own your stuff. Your stuff owns you."

I don't "OWN" my caches. I'm responsible for them only. I just want to have a log book to read when I do maintenance.

Sn :P:huh: gans

First let me say that we hardly ever trade unless we have Shifty (4 year old) with us. After our first couple the caches it was clearly more about the hunt.

All the posts in the world are not going to change some people.

There are crappy caches and crappy contents. On a really enjoyable cache I feel grateful and obligated to add some descent swag. Others get TNLNSL.

We spent about $40 placing our first cache. We filled it with mostly kid stuff and placed it in a reasonably easy but neat location. Almost everyone has traded well. We built the kind of cache we want to find. Almost no maintenece has been required. The response has been favorable.

So far we have only placed one cache. The southwest Ohio cachers have traded well and I have yet to be dissapointed with its placing or any trades. I will not place another cache until 1. a neat idea / spot hits me 2. I know I can maintain it. What I do not understand is cachers who have placed dozens or dozens of dozens of caches. How the heck do you maintian thiese?

I prefer to own a few GOOD caches I can maintain and fellow cachers can enjoy, and will try to do my part to support other GOOD caches by contributing to them.

PS - CITO applies to cache contents, right? RIGHT??

Fist of all, I have read some of KFWB's cache pages and the descriptions of some of the stuff they put in their caches. I was incredulous. They are very generous, both with swag and with the interesting puzzle caches and such. For most people, it might be difficult to trade even, let alone up. ;)

I believe one thing that is seldom mentioned when discussing the degradation of caches is the fact that many new cachers have a distorted concept of the sport. The home page of this site has the words "high tech treasure hunt" emblazoned across it. We often use the words "treasure hunt" to describe the sport. To someone who only grasps the most basic concept, they will come away with the impression that they are using GPS to hunt for treasure, no less.

When most people envision a treasure hunt, they picture an old oak chest on an island, left by long dead pirates and filled with gold coins and jewels. They don't think about bringing tons of their own jewelry to trade, they imagine leaving the island rich, their pockets straining under the weight of all the gold.

I think that cache trades need to be peresented as game pieces, rather than free trade items. It is human instinct to desire a good bargain. The ability to control our instincts is what separates us from the animals, some of the time. People with less self control might cave to the temptation to trade down.

What are the solutions?

The easiest solution I have found, is to stock your cache with the nicest items you can, and from that moment on, forget you ever saw them. You will be a lot more relaxed and at ease if you do not hold the entire world to the same standard that you live by. That might be a pessimistic view, but when your caches go to crap you won't be dissappointed, and if they improve you will be pleasantly suprised.

Another solution is to leave a nice FF prize, and no other items. Or, make the cache logbook only. I know this isn't in the spirit of the game, but it will end the worry about trade items.

Finally, it would help to dispell the impression that some people have that finding a cache is the same as finding a treasure chest. It can't be a treasure hunt, and a trading game at the same time.

Bloencustoms, good post.

Regarding the contents of TEAM KFWB GPS caches, some of them are indeed very generous to say the least. In fact, some of them are absolutely incredible. They do place caches with regular swag -- very similar to the caches that the rest of us put out -- this is the case with the cache that is being discussed here.

If I'm wrong here, perhaps someone from the TEAM can correct me, but I don't think the intent of the TEAM is for people finding their caches to trade up, or even -- but to trade something of value -- even if it's just a cool dollar store item.

I doubt very much that a crumpled up parking receipt or a piece of pocket lint would suffice.

Geo 8

My favorite cache is the one I found that was filled with crumpled old coupons--by the original owner. Oooooh wow. :lol: Not only were they worthless (and half of 'em expired), but they conveniently got all over the place.

The other things I just can't figure out is, who the heck is going to want the toothbrush you just left in the geocache? Or the pack of gum that's been sitting there for months? Eww.

Now, I'm a hunter rather than a gatherer--so I typically don't trade regardless how cool the stuff in the cache is (if I really needed it, I'd already have it). In my opinion, a really well-hidden log-only micro beats a Tupperware under a bush any day...But I still can't wonder what the heck possesses people to leave whatever they found between their couch cushions. For crying out loud, go buy a Happy Meal. :o

So some of you feel that cache maintenence is replacing the garbage that has been placed in a cache with more good stuff?

I believe that's part of maintenance. I always bring a new bag of goodies along on a maint visit. I think the 50th finder deserves as well stocked a cache as the first finder.

Edited by briansnat

We actually pick up most of our stuff from the store which we trade out with. We have only once left something that was actually not new and that was a figurine that was in good shape and someone would still want. We did some caches in my hometown of Richmond recently and one of them was severely degraded. The contents were:

rusty batteries

pieces of a beaded necklace

a doll head

army men that looked like they had been eaten by a dog

loose change

a lighter that wouldn't light

a piece of wood (it probably came from the very spot of the cache!)

and other odds and ends..........

It was a real shame as the cache location was very nice, which I guess is truly what it is about, but still..... there should be a cachers code of conduct.

:lol:

Ummm... scroll back up a page to jmbella's logo.

I added it to the Selector. (Its the Trade Logo)

FYI

The selector is way cool. I posted links on both of the local group sites. Thank You, Thank You, Thank You.

On the topic, could this be the reason for the increase of the log only micro. Eh?

Definition: Spam - Lunch nobody wants or ask for.

Definition: GeoSpam - Junk nobody wants or trades for.

Who cares if the items aren't "enough". The game isn't a bank account game, it's just a hide and seek game. Being a dick because it doesn't satisfy your consumer saavy doesn't impress me either. In fact, if you have a problem with the value of the cache items, perhaps you ought to shop at a store or open a store.

The easiest solution I have found, is to stock your cache with the nicest items you can, and from that moment on, forget you ever saw them. You will be a lot more relaxed and at ease if you do not hold the entire world to the same standard that you live by. That might be a pessimistic view, but when your caches go to crap you won't be dissappointed, and if they improve you will be pleasantly suprised.

YES! very well articulated, Bloen. This is the only way to be. I have a saying, "keep your expectations tiny, and you won't be so whiny".

Another solution is to leave a nice FF prize, and no other items. Or, make the cache logbook only. I know this isn't in the spirit of the game, but it will end the worry about trade items.

another good idea. All mine are log only. but then they're micros. :huh:

Finally, it would help to dispell the impression that some people have that finding a cache is the same as finding a treasure chest. It can't be a treasure hunt, and a trading game at the same time.

I have said this before in other threads, and I'm sure many others have before me; I think it is an excellent suggestion. While it might be sexy to use the words "Treasure Hunt" in the description of this pastime, it's a little misleading and I believe has, and will continue to lead to dissappointment for newbies who take it too literally. It says "treasure hunt" right on the Groundspeak homepage, when actually for most cachers it is a hunt, period, and partially a trading game for some. maybe some terminology changes would help??

Edited by mozartman

Now I haven't put any of these out there or haave yet been out to find one. I think its important to relize ones person trash is anothers treasure. I personally would love to find the odd stuff. Old stuff as in what your talking about. Everyboody takes something different from doing this. What you get out of iisn't what everybody is going to get out of it.

If you really want to read something . Look up burning man and what they call giifting.

Just my two cents anyways

Brendan

I think its important to relize ones person trash is anothers treasure.

To a point, but I think what the original poster was referring to was the real trash you find in caches. Toy figurines, half chewed by the family dog, candy wrappers, bent paper clips and the like. Stuff that really belongs in the trash. I once found a filthy, used pair of work gloves with holes in the fingers. Gimme a break! If its garbage throw it away, not in a cache.

Posting it in the log was not a good idea. Sending it to you in an e-mail suggesting that you perform a little maintenance on the cache would have been a better idea. Properly worded e-mail of course.....

I am guilty of having posted this type of message in the log. In hindsight your way is much better. At the time my thinking was that if someone before me had posted it in the log, I would have brought extra trade items and "recharged" the cache a bit

i try to clean out the real junk from caches i find. i'm talking about wet temporary tatoos, non-interesting bottle caps, rusty pens from a doctors office, etc. if its something someone might vaguely want i'll leave it. i would hope someone would help out if my cache was full of this crap, so i do the same.