Hypothetically

ju66l3r

ju66l3r, hypothetically, would this database be available for not-for-profit and for-profit organizations? Would for-profit organizations hypothetically speaking, be requirred to offer some sort of financial reimbursement to assist in offsetting the costs? Would there be restrictions on the use of this hypothetical database? If so, what kinds of restrictions?

Geo 90

Edit: typo

Edited by Jomarac5
ju66l3r, hypothetically, would this database be available for not-for-profit and for-profit organizations? Would for-profit organizations hypothetically speaking, be requirred to off some sort of financial reimbursement to assist in offsetting the costs? Would there be restrictions on the use of this hypothetical database? If so, what kinds of restrictions?

Geo 90

In this situation, the database would not necessarily be "available". It would only be accessable through the SDK or the website. In that degree, anyone using the SDK to access the data would agree to a ToS/ToU that would be modelled along the lines of something similar to Google's SDK/API kit. There is a link earlier to reference. One example of the restrictions based on that ToU is related above in the thread as well.

It all depends.

Here is the long and short of it.

If your site is private I don't see that as in the long run interest of geocaching. GC and NV both serve my interests at present and are private.

If your site has no means of dealing with land managers responsibly, then your site would be part of the problem.

If your listing rules make it harder than it needs to be to list then there is no reason to go there.

If your TOS is junk there is no reason to go there. If it’s good though that’s a reason to consider it.

If your site doesn't recognize the up and coming local and national groups and defer responsibility to them if they want it then there is no reason to change.

If your site was everything that I think a site should be, then odds are I'd list my new caches there even if they were the only caches listed. I wouldn’t cross post. If I decided to list my existing caches there I’d archive them on the existing sites.

Why should it be a problem if another listing site has a waypoint destination near on that is on this site?

The point (which is not on-topic any longer) is that Gorak also claimed to list on another site and THEN post those same caches to this site. One vs. the other being nearby is not a problem. Navdog's suggestion would effectively block Gorak's listing to this site because his caches would not satisfy the 0.1 mi rule and he would lose a large market share of the visitors to his caches.

Hey - fair's fair. If I list a cache on NV, then someone comes along and places a cache within 160m of it that they list on GC, I can live without listing my cache on GC. If they get listing on GC first, good on them. What's the problem?

And who cares about 'market share' on a cache? Are we competing with other caches now? :lol:

Gorak

Geo 121 104

Edited by Gorak
As a matter of fact, my next two caches, which are ready to place, will be listed exclusively on NC for the first few weeks/months in an effort to get more people locally to visit NC when looking for caches.

Can we bet on this?

It's fine to list in as many places as you feel led, as long as it is for the right reasons...

I would continue to put my caches on the GC.com site, and am not interested at this time in having them listed on multiple sites. I see no benefits to doing that. Everyone who is a geocacher knows about this site, so why do I need an alternative location? HM

To help elucidate on hikemeister's point, I think I will start another thread. I appreciate everyone's comments so far and I think it has helped to clear up some of the misconceptions some people might have about the usefulness of having other geocaching websites and the incompatibility of "don't like it, leave" as a mantra.

Please feel free to continue posting your answers to my initial questions if you have not already or if you would like to alter your answers.

If you have hidden caches and listed them here, would you also go list them at my site even if you are not interested in using my site's services?

Why/Why not?

Probably. If your site appeals to me in some way.

If I contacted you directly about copying your information with no effort required on your behalf, would you give the same blanket license to your copyrighted information as you do GC.com?

Why/Why not?

Sounds better, but it would still depend on the site's appeal. (what can it do for me?)