Geocaching Or GeoCaching?

MrPeabody

I have noticed that a few people type GeoCaching instead of Geocaching as I am used to. Is there a 'correct' way to do type this?

It seems to me that the powers that be at Groundspeak use the 'Geocaching' format.

The reason I am asking is because Erik Sherman, the creator of the new book: GeoCaching: Hiding, Hiking and High Tech has chosen camel capitalization.

The FAQ states that you should not capitalize it (as briansnat pointed out). I leave it up to the reader to figure out the link to the FAQ. Of course, that is one corporation's opinion.

I also agree with Brian that if you are talking about the activity/hobby then it is completely lowercase.

If you are discussing this website specifically, then it would be a proper noun and grammar would have you capitalize the first letter of each word.

Geocaching.com

geocaching

Ex.: I wanted to go geocaching, so I pointed my browser to Geocaching.com and looked for a pair of coordinates near my house.

This is true, Mr. Peabody's boy is, in fact, named Sherman.

However, I was wondering if anyone has seen Erik Sherman (the author of the above stated book) on these forums.

Actually... has he ever gone geocaching? Or is this one of those books that gets written by someone who can string a few words together but doesn't actually know what they are writing about?

I am one of those cachers that has used the word GeoCache and GeoCaching... I have not had the pleasure of sharing first hand emails with Jeremy... I see you people love to drop his name when you all want to make a point.

I have not thought much about how it is spelled but in the spirit of the game/sport... I will just call it geocaching without capital letters. Not because somebody may hate it or not.

Good Thread... Happy Numbers

GarGoyle! ;)

In a book title it should be Geocaching. In casual conversation you say geocaching. The site is Geocaching.com.

I can't think of a word in the English language that you capitalize it in the middle. It makes my 9th grade English teacher cry. Capitalizing it would be akin to reversing the R in Toys R Us. Marketing hoobajoo.

I always use GeoCache. The computer programmers among us here will call this camel notation. But if you don't do any programming it may look a little strange and seem not quite right. Because a large part of this hobby/sport is computer based it seems like the only way it should be written to me.

It is a made up word anyway so we all get to make it as we want.

I can't think of a word in the English language that you capitalize it in the middle. It makes my 9th grade English teacher cry. Capitalizing it would be akin to reversing the R in Toys R Us. Marketing hoobajoo.

It's one of those annoying trends that Faith Popcorn seems to have started/fostered back in the 90's. Her consulting firm is BrainReserve, her expert consultants are from TalentBank, her "cultural scan" is called TrendBank.

I really enjoyed her book "The Popcorn Report," but after a while it makes you start to feel StomachSick to muddle your way through all her DoubleSpeak. Thankfully her new book "Dictionary of the Future" will straighten it all out for us.

I think I'll go out and get myself a SodaPop....that might make me FeelBetter.

Bret

It is a made up word anyway so we all get to make it as we want.

Well, if you want to start talking linguistics, there are many, many words in the english language that are 'made up'. Additionally, the root of all languages comes from words made up by humans that lived a very long time ago.

Since then, we have adopted rules that allow us to all communicate in a consistent framework, rather than changing rules for each writer (or communicator).

So, for words like NeverTheLess, SandPaper and ToGether, most people who write english have decided to stay off the shift key and bring these normally seperated words together to form a new word.

Like geocaching.

I have noticed that a few people type GeoCaching instead of Geocaching as I am used to.  Is there a 'correct' way to do type this?

It seems to me that the powers that be at Groundspeak use the 'Geocaching' format.

The reason I am asking is because Erik Sherman, the creator of the new book: GeoCaching: Hiding, Hiking and High Tech has chosen camel capitalization.

The FAQ states that you should not capitalize it (as briansnat pointed out). I leave it up to the reader to figure out the link to the FAQ. Of course, that is one corporation's opinion.

I also agree with Brian that if you are talking about the activity/hobby then it is completely lowercase.

If you are discussing this website specifically, then it would be a proper noun and grammar would have you capitalize the first letter of each word.

Geocaching.com

geocaching

Ex.: I wanted to go geocaching, so I pointed my browser to Geocaching.com and looked for a pair of coordinates near my house.

Oh great -- a book on geocaching! What could it possibly contain that folks could not easily find out (for free) right here on the web site?

[or is that website ?] :huh:;)

Actually, I spell it without a capital in the middle. I'm guessing that either my publisher is messing it up or, more likely, someone at the online book sellers, which have an amazing ability to take electronic data and someone totally change it. So much for automation. I've long called that approach to case the high tech capitalization disease, as it seems to have been high tech companies that jumped into it first.

As for those are sure that a book would be useless, I think that people who know nothing of the technology nor of navigation might find it helpful. And the technical editor is someone whose name you would recognize, though I won't mention it without his permission, so between the two of us, I think we'll have some useful and accurate things in there.

Erik Sherman, a.k.a. writer

Edited by writer

>> However, I was wondering if anyone has seen Erik Sherman (the author of the above stated book) on these forums. <<

I read more often than I post, but I can be found here from time to time.

>> Actually... has he ever gone geocaching? <<

I've been geocaching in good weather, in hip-high snow, at night, and even recently was wading through putrid muck in a swamp for three hours only to find that I had chosen a poor route and was on the wrong side of a river to get the particular cache. (Thank you Hunter.) But now that I've dried out, I'll eventually go back - though with hip waders.

Edited by writer