Garmin Etrex Summit

Doggus

I own the Meri-Plat. My parents bought the Garmine eTrex Summit. I'm wanting to get them some GPS accessories for their new toy for Christmas but I am not familiar with the unit so I need someone to answer these questions for me:

1) Can this unit accept an external memory card and if so what is the maximum size? (their comparison chart at Garmin is confusing or maybe I'm just too stupid and impatient to figure it out)

2) If this unit accepts extra memory can I put MapSource Topo on this unit? When I look at Summit accessories they list MapSource Topo but then when I read about Topo it says 'recommeded for ... eTrex Legend, eTrex Vista'. No mention of the Summit, again maybe I'm stupid but this doesn't jive.

3) What is the best version of MapSource to get? With the Meri-Plat mapping software it is well known that the Topo version includes everything in Maps & Streets plus extra stuff which makes it the Topo version. I'm wondering if this is the same case with MapSource mapping.

4) Can I use an external card reader to load the maps on the card before sticking it into the Summit? This is what I do with the Meri-Plat but they had to do some hijinks to get it to work so I'm assuming if Meridian overlooked the fact of using a card reader to load maps MapSource may have overlooked it to and no need for a card reader if it can't use it.

5) I bought my RAM mounts for my Meri-Plat at GPSCity.com but they are all sold out of the eTrex mounts. Anyone know where else I can get the RAM mounts for this unit?

Thanks for the help!

5) I bought my RAM mounts for my Meri-Plat at GPSCity.com but they are all sold out of the eTrex mounts. Anyone know where else I can get the RAM mounts for this unit?

Bass Pro Shops carry the RAM mounts.

As for MapSource, the best reason to buy it is to be able to upload maps to your GPS. The Summit isn't a mapping unit. There are better mapping programs, if you want to plan routes on your PC. Most of them can upload routes and waypoints to your GPS.

You can always get a Geko 301 which is priced only a few bucks more than the Summit which has WAAS. Magellan offers no product within the price range of the Summit/Geko 301 that has an electronic magnetic compass. If mapping is not important, that is the route to go.

If you want mapping and a electronic magnetic compass, then the Vista has both mapping and a compass.