Fewer Folks Visit Wa State Parks In 2003

travisl

An interesting article in today's Tacoma News Tribune pointed out that between 8 million and 23 million fewer people visited state parks in 2003 than did in 2002. It also points out that the parks really seem to have no idea how many people are visiting.

I know that in my six state park day visits this year, I've either been there for less than 15 minutes, or parked outside and walked in, just as they intended.

Ironically, I was all ready to buy an annual pass when I hit Dash Cache last January, but unable to find a way to do so, I left the empty payment envelope on my dashboard with a note written on it: ''How do I buy an annual pass?'' The rangers didn't come by as I was hunting. In retrospect, it's good that I didn't, because I wouldn't have gotten eight uses out of it ($40 annual pass, or $5 per visit).

The next time I came to Dash Point, I parked outside at the corner of 47th and Hoyt, and got lost in the woods for three hours.

I've used the 15-minute rule multiple times at Potlatch State Park.

We rented the cabin at Flaming Geyser State Park, which includes parking for the duration of our stay.

And as much as I might like to wander around West Hylebos State Park again one of these days, there's too many other free alternative wandering spots to make me want to shell out $5.

I can't see paying $5 more than once or twice a year. I haven't paid a cent yet in 2003.

Just to derail things...

Montana in contrast has just eliminated its $5 access fee for Montana residents. If you are in a vehicle with a Montana license plate, you do not pay. Out-of-staters are still charged the day fee.

Instead of paying every time you visit a park, Montanans have the option to add $4 to their annual licensing. This is voluntary, and you don't have to pay to take advantage of the free access.

Just to derail things...

Montana in contrast has just eliminated its $5 access fee for Montana residents. If you are in a vehicle with a Montana license plate, you do not pay. Out-of-staters are still charged the day fee.

Instead of paying every time you visit a park, Montanans have the option to add $4 to their annual licensing. This is voluntary, and you don't have to pay to take advantage of the free access.

Awesome! My folks are moving to Montana. He found a job near Glacier National Park...Cutbank, Montana. You guys been there?

Awesome! My folks are moving to Montana. He found a job near Glacier National Park...Cutbank, Montana.  You guys been there?

Sure! Land of the giant penguin.

See the June 22 entries.

Cool! I guess my folks will have to get used to the cold! Hunting over there is supposed to be fantastic so I'll be able to go over and hunt with Dad. Moose, Buffalo/Bison, big deer, etc. I had moose once...excellent tasting meat!

Awesome! My folks are moving to Montana. He found a job near Glacier National Park...Cutbank, Montana.  You guys been there?

Sure! Land of the giant penguin.

See the June 22 entries.

Cool! I guess my folks will have to get used to the cold! Hunting over there is supposed to be fantastic so I'll be able to go over and hunt with Dad. Moose, Buffalo/Bison, big deer, etc. I had moose once...excellent tasting meat!

Yes, the hunting is great in Montana. It's a bit expensive for non-residents.

My father-in-law lived over there for a while. We got up in the morning, stepped out back behind the barn, shot our 4 point Whitetail and were back at the cabin in time for a late breakfast ;)

I was there two days and shot a deer each day. (You can buy more than one tag).

Now to get back on topic.....

I probably should have bought a pass this year. I only actually ended up paying four times, but there were a couple fairly easy caches where I left the kids in the car while I did a cache-and-dash.

Edited by Right Wing Wacko

Just as a matter of perspective...

The day use fee in Oregon is only $3 with the annual being $25 for 1 year and $40 for 2. And in some state parks down here your NW Forest pass is actually honored :lol:. While in Arizona the day use fee is $7, I did not even bother to check on the annual since I am only down there a week or so a year.

I have not been in a state park since the fee.

On the forest pass, I left mine on the dash, but turned upside down accidentaly. When I got back, I had one of those "tickets". I took it to the ranger station along with my pass and said "look it still good". The lady said "Oh, don't worry about it" and crumpled the 'ticket' up and threw it in the trash. Guess no one keeps track of those "tickets" anyway.