Best Time Of Day For Reception

Geosophers

Being a dynamic system things can be quite variable during the day and from day to day depending on the status of the constellation for a particular time at a particular place.

There can be quite a bit of difference in the "best" time even with one satellite shutdown for some reason. Also for a particular place/time obstructions can come into affect, even briefly, that might affect the results.

There is planning software freely available, which will give an "indication" of when is the better time to be at a certain location.

Cheers, Kerry.

Edited by Kerry.

;)

The best way to be as accurate as possible is mark your waypoint location several times and compare the result then take the average.

You might be surprised at the variation you get in the same spot. The area has a lot to do with it too,like lots of trees will have a factor on reception and results.

When in dought make sure to include some clues to help the finders if the Lat/Lon isn't exactly on the money.

I've had good results with Magellan Meridian and Sportrak models by just letting them do their averaging. All I do is hold the GPS still for at least 1 minute and then wait another 30 seconds to see that the current reading is stable. The main data screen shows how long the unit has been averaging. I rarely have had complaints about the coords I post.

--Marky

I use Leica Geosystems satellite geometry software (There are several others). Just using the default parameters seems to give a pretty good indication of how favorable a particular time and day is on the ground.

In practice, when I want to know how good a fix is, I record the exact time of the fix and list the satellites being received. Then plug that into the software with a zero degree cut-off angle and read off GDOP, looking for a value well under 3.0, (2.0 if possible). Remember, one good fix is much better than the average of a bunch of crappy ones, so auto-averaging is generally not very useful. (Sorry if this raises the hackles of the averaging people. So be it). Likewise, the average of a bunch of good fixes (low actual GDOP) spread over a range of days/times/constellations is even better yet. Don't worry if you just can't seem to get these low numbers. In the real world, trees, mountains, buildings, etc. can conspire to prevent your cache from being located to the nearest .001 minute. Just add a star to the difficulty rating and leave it at that.

The two links given by fivegallon appear to be for people that want to find satellites with their telescopes. This won't be much help in determining good satellite geometry for navigation.

Ah, I see you are from BanCoober Eyeland. My above warning about trees and mountains is important ;)

Edited by blindleader

Blindleader,if you take a closer look,you will see on the second link that there are TLE's for "GPS Operational" satellites.When these TLE's are loaded,a "batch prediction" can then be run giving information as to what satellites should be in sight of the co-ord's you enter.

I don't have a telescope,but the program still works for me ;)

The satellites don't have an exact 24hr orbit, so the constellation at, for example 12 noon, won't be the same two days in a row.

Well, you are half right. The satellites have an orbital period of 12 hours such that they complete 2 orbital revolutions within a 24 hour period while the earth rotates 360 degrees. This results in a trace of the satellite orbit on the earth's surface which will repeat itself daily. So, the constellation at noon will be the same two days in a row.

;)

The best way to be as accurate as possible is mark your waypoint location several times and compare the result then take the average.

i'm going to suggest that when you take averages, you eliminate the outliers first. i've had some terrible luck averaging, but good luck with taking multiple waypoints from one spot and ten checking to see what makes sense. i also often check the coords against available online maps.

So, the constellation at noon will be the same two days in a row.

Not at noon according to your clock. GPS satellites have a 12 hour orbit. But they're sidereal hours. That means that the time a satellite returns to the same position varies about 4 minutes every day.

But the be absolutely precise, if you ask when a specific satellite constellation will repeat, the answer is pretty much never.

i'm going to suggest that when you take averages, you eliminate the outliers first. i've had some terrible luck averaging, but good luck with taking multiple waypoints from one spot and ten checking to see what makes sense. i also often check the coords against available online maps.

I agree. If you take 10 readings at various times, and get a tight grouping of four or five coords and you see that the remaining coords seem randomly scattered about, just average the four or five good, tight coords! One bad apple can spoil the bunch! Five or six of them can mess up someone's caching experience. :lol:

Hear is a program from a hi end commercial GPSr manufacturer that plots the best times to git the most satelites and its free. http://www.trimble.com/planningsoftware.html

:lol: Well, I just tried installing it and it crashed my computer during the installation! My screen went black and then the computer rebooted. The autocheck program started running and reported MASSIVE corruption! About 514MB of data on my hard drive has been stored in folder "FOUND.000"

Install this program at your own risk! You have been duly warned.

Hear is a program from a hi end commercial GPSr manufacturer that plots the best times to git the most satelites and its free. http://www.trimble.com/planningsoftware.html

:D Well, I just tried installing it and it crashed my computer during the installation! My screen went black and then the computer rebooted. The autocheck program started running and reported MASSIVE corruption! About 514MB of data on my hard drive has been stored in folder "FOUND.000"

I installed it several day ago and had no problems, go figure.

:D Well, I just tried installing it and it crashed my computer during the installation! My screen went black and then the computer rebooted. The autocheck program started running and reported MASSIVE corruption! About 514MB of data on my hard drive has been stored in folder "FOUND.000"

I installed it several day ago and had no problems, go figure.

I installed it without a problem, but when I uninstalled it, all it did was remove the icon from the start menu. It didn't remove any of the program files (had to do it manually).

B) Well, I just tried installing it and it crashed my computer during the installation! My screen went black and then the computer rebooted. The autocheck program started running and reported MASSIVE corruption! About 514MB of data on my hard drive has been stored in folder "FOUND.000"

I dunno... must be my 'puter. I just installed a new 200GB hard disk about a month ago. Could just be a flaky drive. I think I'm gonna start backing up a bunch of important data!!! :unsure: