How About Caching Just For The Fun Of It?

TeamBoonieHat

I've been caching since May '03 ( Notice I don't know the exact date). I have 29 finds and 1 hide. When I have the time I download one or two caches, gather up the kids and maybe a couple of thier friends, pack a lunch or some snacks, then go out and have a blast.

I started cruising the forums to learn more about this sport I love. Now all I find on the forums are oppressed cachers that want to overthrow TPTB.

If it's so awful, quit. You can still cache without posting to the forums. Stop bringing the rest of us down.

I see alot of cachers that have been active for about a year and have 300+ finds and 20 or 30 hides. That's alot of caching to squeze into one year. I'm thinking "major burnout". These seem to be the same ones continually bashing the Admins.

Let's all back up, slow down, and learn to enjoy it again.

I will now brace myself for the thrashing I am about to receive. Man this is fun!

I see alot of cachers that have been active for about a year and have 300+ finds and 20 or 30 hides. That's alot of caching to squeze into one year. I'm thinking "major burnout".

I really wonder how some people can rack up so many caches so quickly without suffering from "geocache OD." I'm enjoying a casual cache-when-I-can pace. Quite honestly, between my family, other interests and hobbies, maintaining a home, and a job, there just isn't enough free time to go at that pace. I think I would burnout and my lawn would grow long. For me geocaching is a pleasant sideline and I thoroughly enjoy it when I do it. I've learned a lot from the forums. I mostly enjoy it solo but sometimes the kids join me and even my wife (rarely). I especially like it on out-of-town business trips or vacation. Just this last weekend I walked to a couple caches in the neighborhood that have been on my to-do list for awhile. It was just great to walk through parts of the neighborhood that I'd only driven through before. And that's what geocaching is all about for me.

Its important that we understand and respect the fact that that geocaching is something different for everyone. For some its an obsession, or diversion, or competition, or learning new technologies, or meeting people, or whatever.

The most important thing is to respect one another, lighten up, and have some fun.

I see alot of cachers that have been active for about a year and have 300+ finds and 20 or 30 hides. That's alot of caching to squeze into one year. I'm thinking "major burnout".

I've been at this for over 2 years and still don't have 100 finds yet. I can't imagine finding 300 caches in one year. At first, I wanted to keep a pace of 2 caches per month, but I don't think I'm even at that pace anymore.

I tend to do my caching in spurts. That being said, it's been almost two months since I found an actual, real live cache. I'll get there again.

Overall, I think the laid back approach works best for me, but others might not agree. To each their own. ;)

Some people enjoy caching and try to address issues they are having in the forums that get in the way of their enjoyment.

The have brought up a desire to discuss thing other than caching in forums with their piers. They have brought up pirates, inconsistant approvals, mod issues, and all kinds of topics. All of them are valid though sometimes people get carried away.

Other people enjoy cachhing and try to address their issues in the forums. These other people think the problem is the people trying to work things out and post about that in the forums.

Either way it's about the same. Except I'd put better odds on getting an off topic area than changing the behavior of any of the dissidents.