Placing A Cache Too Close To Part Of A Multi?

ChileHead

The general rule on placing a cache is it should be greater than .1 mile away from another cache.

But what happens if there is a multi-cache in the area? Unless I do the multi (and all multis that have a reasonable chance of getting near my micro), how do I know I don't violate the .1 mile rule for the parts of the multi that aren't posted?

;)

But what happens if there is a multi-cache in the area?  Unless I do the multi (and all multis that have a reasonable chance of getting near my micro), how do I know I don't violate the .1 mile rule for the parts of the multi that aren't posted?

;)

Well, if you are going to hide a cache, its usually considered proper etiquette to actually find the other caches in the area anyway, so ideally, you will have found the final of the multi and know if you're too close or not. Barring that, try emailing your cache coords before submitting it to your local approver or the owner of the nearby multi and ask if it's a viable location.

Edited by NJ Admin

There is a multi in Austin where the points are all fairly close. Once caching couple, while searching for the second (or third?) point, actually found the final...... however, the reason they found it was that they reversed the last two digits.... and in their mad search in the area, found the final cache site! We also had one where the redirector was very difficult to find, but the final cache was less than 100 feet away (the redirector was near the river, so that lessened the search area). At least one cacher found the cache without finding the redirector. Well, it got ransacked (for the second time), and we are still trying to decide what to do. It is such a neat place to visit, we want to share it with others, so we may turn it into a micro at the original location.

I thought it was discussed before that a cache could not be placed within the proximity(.1) to even a stage of another persons multi cache? Did this change again?

That was the rule I was given in http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=59999 and since I sound out (last night) that someone else is planning a multi in the same park (ok, so it's a large park) I am, I'm just tempted to put the whole thing on hold until they're done.

Keystone Approver said in the other thread:

It's normally just fine for intermediate stages of the same multicache to be less than 528 feet apart. The 528 foot rule is designed to prevent confusion and keep a lid on cache density between separate geocaches. Thus, each stage of your planned multicache needs to be at least 528 feet from any other active geocache.

If I remember right, it was said before that they are now requiring that each stage of a multi's coordinates must be given to ensure they are not within another cache. I also understood that at the time that multi's from 2 different caches couldn't be within that .1 proximity either. Or did I misunderstand that?

WHen I placed my multi cache each and every leg of the multi and the final all had to obey the .10 rule. Each leg had to be .10 from one each other, and from all other caches in the forest. At that time, there was one other cache in the forest, in which I had already found (it was actually the first cache i ever found). THere was also another cache that had been archived due to plundering. I was required to obey the .10 rule with the cache that was already there, and i chose to make sure i was also within approval limits from the archived cache in case the hider ever wanted to try hiding it again...it was a great cache.

If you're worried about being too close to a multi that you haven't found yet, I agree with Mopar, you should go find it! ;)