Cache Log Previews?

E = Mc2

How many times I have screwed up a cache log and had to edit it, I don't know. This means that the cache owner gets multiple emails, etc. Also, you can't really tell what the log will look like before it's posted. If we could review our cache logs before they are submitted, that would save a lot of time and hassle. Would it be possible to get this feature added to the website? I also really don't like the "This page edited" tag line when I have to go fix my errors. Can we turn that off, too?

I know, I'm being anal (can I say anal? ;) ), but I like my logs to look good, too.

You have a short grace period (5 or 10 minutes, I forget) in which to edit your log before the dreaded "edit tag" will appear. That's preferable to deleting your log and starting over, which indeed results in multiple e-mails not only to the cache owner, but to the entire watchlist.

You could also consider composing your log in a word processor, and then copying and pasting (but beware special characters that do not translate well from the word processor).

EDIT (how ironic...): I forgot to mention that when you edit a log, NO notice is sent to the owner and the watchlist.

Edited by Keystone Approver

I'm no Einstein, but I'm pretty sure I'm right about a ten-minute grace period for editing a log after you first enter it onto a cache page. Why? I just ran a test, posting a log to a cache page I use for such things, and then editing it once every minute or so. The edit stamp did not show up until at least ten minutes had gone by. Why did I do this? Was it to make sure that I am providing high-quality, accurate customer service? Nope. It's because I am a dweeb who has no life, and thus have the time to edit a test log once per minute for 12 minutes.

You could also consider composing your log in a word processor, and then copying and pasting (but beware special characters that do not translate well from the word processor).

If you use the Mozilla browser (and why wouldn't you?), there are a large number of free extensions you can use that add additional capabilities to the browser. One I use is MozEx. I just right-click inside any text input box, select an option from the context menu, and it will open the text into the editor of my choice. I use UltraEdit, since it loads lightening fast and has a very good spell checker. When I'm done, I just close the editor, and click inside the text box. My edited, spell-checked text is copied into the box.

briansnat, I think you're confusing forum posts with cache logs. Cache logs have a 15 minute grace period after posting where the edit text will not appear. Posts here in the forums will show an edit regardless of whether you edited a minute or a half hour after the post. However, unlike the cache log page there is a preview option.

I'll look into a preview button for the cache log page.

Jeremy