New To The Game. Hardware Questions.

grepNYCgrok

Hi everybody. New to GPS and want to "get in the game". I own a Sony Clie UX50, one of those fancy PDAs, and would like to use it as a GPS device. Can anyone suggest cheap, effective but easy to use software and/or accessories for it? It runs Palm OS. I don't want to buy a separate GPS device just yet. Thanks and your comments are appreciated.

My SporTrak has taken a ton of abuse, no Clie would be able to take it! It's been dropped, used while caching 8 hours in a downpour (which is a lot more fun than it sounds), slid with me down a hill (remember "Romancing the Stone"?) and been dunked in a stream. With the exception of the trip in the downpour, the other incidents and others were all accidental.

I I love my Handspring and considered getting a GPS attachment but had second thoughts about using it in the field because of the abuse I imagined it would be subjected to.

But I do leave it in the car and use it to manage way points and finds etc. There are a lot of programs available (including a hint decoder) if you search around. I don't have time to hunt down the links to some but when I do I'll post tehn in a subsequent post.

I I love my Handspring and considered getting a GPS attachment but had second thoughts about using it in the field because of the abuse I imagined it would be subjected to.

But I do leave it in the car and use it to manage way points and finds etc. There are a lot of programs available (including a hint decoder) if you search around. I don't have time to hunt down the links to some but when I do I'll post tehn in a subsequent post.

I have a GPS module for my old Handspring. I used a freeware program for it called Cletus (sp?) from Denmark. Available on Freewarepalm.com

Not the way to go. Get a purpose built GPSr. Much tougher and ultimately more enjoyable as you don't worry about getting it dropped or lost with all your personal contact info in it.