Etrex Venture Update Problems

Swifteroo

I have unsuccessfully been trying to get my Garmin Etrex Venture to update its software. I am convinced after much troubleshooting with Garmin that the unit itself may be sending bad data.

Im curious to know if anyone out there in the geocaching world knows of any way to force an update into the unit. I have tried a master reset on the unit. I have even replaced the cable with Garmin, and tried on different machines of different os'es all to no avail.

I have made sure to select the proper protocol (Garmin). I can see that the unit is sending data by monitoring the Serial port, just not the correct information apparently.

It may be in vain, but I want to avoid the $119 service fee to have my unit RMA'ed. Any ideas?

I have unsuccessfully been trying to get my Garmin Etrex Venture to update its software. I am convinced after much troubleshooting with Garmin that the unit itself may be sending bad data.

What exactly is going wrong with the update? Is the update program not seeing the unit, or claiming that it's something else?

Before sending it in, I'd have a talk with Garmin's tech support. I think Garmin is fairly reasonable. If they think it's a fault of the unit as it left the factory, you have a very good chance that they won't charge you. But they will probably want to have the unit in their hands before making any such promise.

I am getting an IOL_RECIEVER error occurring with the updater. This happens in Windows XP. Under Win2K, the updater simply does not see the unit. I have used serial monitors, and have been able to tell that the unit is sending something to the computer, however I cannot decipher the code. I really believe the data being sent from the unit is corrupt, im just not sure if it may be a hardware issue, or if I could somehow get an update to correct the software.

I did speak with Garmin TS a number of times. They were in fact very helpful. All of the troubleshooting we did helped.. they even sent me a new cable to try!

Problem is that im in Canada. Garmin USA was willing to do it for free, but cannot accept an RMA from Canada. The company that they use in Canada was far less accomodating :(

Problem is that im in Canada. Garmin USA was willing to do it for free, but cannot accept an RMA from Canada. The company that they use in Canada was far less accomodating ;)

;) Not sure what to suggest other then you need to take a short vacation to the U.S. :huh: Or else find someone else who will "relay" for you.