Projecting A Waypoint

LowBFlat

I was reading about a multi-cache that had the next position "projected" from the current position. It was defined by distance and bearing from the current position. I looked in my Meridian GPS and could not find how to do this. Could someone help me? I guess what I want to do is set a waypoint by distance and bearing in my receiver.

Thanks in advance.

Mike

On many "offset" caches, there is no need to project a waypoint. With the "main" waypoint active, position yourself at the correct number of feet away at a bearing OPPOSITE from what the offset is.

For example, if you are required to project a waypoint 300 feet at a bearing of 25 degrees, position yourself at the location that makes your GPS read 300 feet at 205 degrees.

On many "offset" caches, there is no need to project a waypoint. With the "main" waypoint active, position yourself at the correct number of feet away at a bearing OPPOSITE from what the offset is.

For example, if you are required to project a waypoint 300 feet at a bearing of 25 degrees, position yourself at the location that makes your GPS read 300 feet at 205 degrees.

I call this a reverse GOTO and it works well for shorter distances, as my GPS V has a minimum waypoint projection distance of .10 mi. :lol:

Also you can project a waypoint on the same bearing line but with a distance further from target. This allows your gps to display the correct bearing and heading as you walk to the target. Then all you have to do is walk the correct distance as displayed on your screen.

ok I use an etrex legend and I've tried a cache a couple of times that does this i think i'm doing something wrong when i'm projecting the waypoint. when you get to the first point it tells you to go at a course of 238 degrees and 273 feet. i thibk where i'm having trouble is the distance. when i do the math i come up with .05 for the distance to enter into the gps. i figured .10 was about 500' so that was close. am i on the wrong track here?

Quills:

Each hundredth of a mile is 52.8 feet, so your 273 feet is 5 hundredths of a mile plus 9 feet. So enter .05, and the bearing of 238 degrees, in your projection from the existing waypoint. When you arrive at the projection you created, go 9 more feet. Very important is that the bearing you entered and the one designated by the cache placer, both be in the same reference: true or magnetic.

I looked several times in my Meridian GPS and have only found one way to project on that unit. On the map screen you can move the cursor and the statistics on the bottom of the screen give you a bearing and distance from your present position. You can then hold GOTO to set a waypoint.

I was hoping for a screen that I could enter the numbers rather than fool around with an crude graphic.

MM

I looked several times in my Meridian GPS and have only found one way to project on that unit. On the map screen you can move the cursor and the statistics on the bottom of the screen give you a bearing and distance from your present position. You can then hold GOTO to set a waypoint.

I was hoping for a screen that I could enter the numbers rather than fool around with an crude graphic.

MM

You should be able to do this. Read datums post above:

To get to the PROJECTION feature...go to the POSITION SCREEN. That's the one that has your TRIP ODOMETER on the bottom of the screen and your POSITION COORDINATES at the top. Press MENU button. Scroll down to PROJECTION. Press ENTER.

Then scroll down to the distance and bearing fields so they are highlighted, press enter to change these numbers to what you need. I don't have a Meridian but this sounds like the same way it's done on my old Mag315.

Navdog

I call this a reverse GOTO and it works well for shorter distances, as my GPS V has a minimum waypoint projection distance of .10 mi. 

In the Project Waypoint screen, position the cursor on the Miles unit of Distance and hit Enter. You then get a drop down menu where you can switch your units to feet.

HTH

Navdog

I call this a reverse GOTO and it works well for shorter distances, as my GPS V has a minimum waypoint projection distance of .10 mi. 

In the Project Waypoint screen, position the cursor on the Miles unit of Distance and hit Enter. You then get a drop down menu where you can switch your units to feet.

HTH

Yeah, I mentioned that on another thread after I found out about it a few days ago. Pretty cool. Wish I had known about it before.